Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Not for nothing, but there's no such thing as "proving the proper and better looking way." It's all subjective. Ain't no one here saying the Cowboys uniforms are "proper." Those uniforms are a mess in 7 different directions and a lot of people here like them just the way they are. Preaching objective truth here is like preaching the joys of Jack Daniels to a church congregation. You can do it, but people will definitely look at you funny. 

Point taken, but the Cowboys' uniforms being a mess is due to different versions of the colors across different pieces of the uniform.. but the actual design of the uniform is great and the helmet and  every set of pants all use the dark/light/dark striping...

Just now, WavePunter said:

Point taken, but the Cowboys' uniforms being a mess is due to different versions of the colors across different pieces of the uniform.. but the actual design of the uniform is great and the helmet and  every set of pants all use the dark/light/dark striping...

So the colors can be all over the place with the Cowboys and it's OK, but the Browns, while matching colors across the board, use a stripe pattern you don't like and it's wrong? Fair enough, I suppose. I'll just say you're entitled to your opinion. 

BB52Big.jpg

I think the sign of a good uniform versus a more...to put it lightly...divisive...uniform is the debate being seen in this and the Falcons' uniform threads.  It would seem that if we're down to questioning OBO vs BOB on pant stripe is the post perfecty-perfect one...well good job Cleveland.   The Atlanta thread is all over the place on wordmarks, number fonts, side stripes, and...*shudders*...gradients.  

Overall, good "return to their roots" (I believe is the Nike-talk on this one).  Once the inevitable addition of orange pants...and the regular get-ups are very solid.  Cleveland looks like Cleveland again.  Mono-turds are a disappointment, but that seems to be par for the course league wide regarding the remnants of the Color Rush experiment.

(And put me on team OBO, as I think it balances out the uniform just a bit better.  But as I alluded to at the top...I think it's a good sign of a good design to be at this stage of the reveal!)

20 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

The Browns, however, are the only one of those teams that wears a different color helmet, jersey, and pants, and that makes all the difference when it comes to deciding between “the formula” and what works best.

Your second paragraph is the root of the disagreement. In my opinion, the pants need to be orange dominant to balance the helmet (but again, I’m willing to bet brown-dominant pants work much better with the new helmet than the classic one).

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree and be happy that the Browns found the luggage they lost in 2015.

Vintage falcons, vintage chargers, vintage broncos.. 3 different colored elements, all used dark/light/dark pants striping.. 

24 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Basing that solely off of your own words.. you said twice that you prefer the brown to be more prominent on the pants.. putting twice as much brown certainly accomplishes the task.. better than having it as the least-used color on the entire garment. 😉

To me the centre strips is the more prominent colour, because it's the focal point.

13 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

So the colors can be all over the place with the Cowboys and it's OK, but the Browns, while matching colors across the board, use a stripe pattern you don't like and it's wrong? Fair enough, I suppose. I'll just say you're entitled to your opinion. 

I never suggested that the Cowboys should keep using multiple silvers and multiple blues..
I just stated that the actual design of each uniform element was great.. I think I even clarified that very point..
Silvery helmet and silvery pants.. both have a blue/white/blue stripe.. white jersey with blue numbers and a blue/white/blue stripe.. if you don't nitpick which silvery shades and which blue shades are used, then that makes for a solid uniform..
Personally, I'd prefer the silvery blue of the helmets to be the only "silvery" color, and I'd like them to use a dark royal (almost navy, but not quite), as the only "blue" color..

Just now, IceCap said:

To me the centre strips is the more prominent colour, because it's the focal point.

It's only the focal point in the OBO pattern because the orange gets washed out by the white.. the brown is still the focal point in the BOB pattern, as it should be, but allows the orange to play its supporting role as well..

To each his own 🤷‍♂️

54 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It's only the focal point in the OBO pattern because the orange gets washed out by the white.. the brown is still the focal point in the BOB pattern, as it should be, but allows the orange to play its supporting role as well..

To each his own 🤷‍♂️

Guess I’ll weigh in on this. For me the two orange stripes provide the right amount of orange to properly balance the jerseys and pants with the orange helmet. With the B/O/B striping pattern the single orange stripe just doesn’t quite provide that right balance, even though it may seem to match the jersey stripes better in a vacuum. The jerseys are brown and white heavy, and with the bright orange helmet there just needs to be the two orange stripes to properly balance everything. The white pants with the O/B/O striping look especially “right” when paired with the brown jerseys because there’s consistency in there being two orange stripes against white on both the jersey and pant stripe sequences. With the white jerseys the O/B/O striping does look somewhat inconsistent in that the jersey stripes have brown on the outside while the pant stripes have orange on the outside, but there’s still consistency in there being two orange stripes in both stripe sequences. And, while the B/O/B pant striping might seem to match the white jersey stripes better in a vacuum with the brown on the outside in both, it just doesn’t look right when paired with the orange helmet. The two orange stripes just look right when you look at the uniform as a whole, whereas the B/O/B just doesn’t quite have that same effect despite it seeming like the more logical solution. The fact that it’s their traditional look just adds to how “right” the O/B/O looks and how “wrong” the B/O/B looks. Again, this is just my opinion, but I think it’s one that’s shared by many here, at least in part. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

11 hours ago, MDGP said:

Not much different than what the others said

1. The general gimmickry of the entire set

All uniforms are gimmicky to an extent. If uniforms were purely practical every team would wear only black and white 

11 hours ago, MDGP said:

a. Multicolored sword shoulder panels that are extremely youth football.

I disagree. The swords look similar to their secondary logo and the previous jerseys dark blue yoke. If there was on complain I’d prefer the dark blue numbers on the shoulders to be white like the front and back but the previous set had the same problem do it is what it is

11 hours ago, MDGP said:

b. sideways sword "stripe" that gets cutoff and looks like a random square.

I assume you mean the pants? I disagree. It’s clean and simple but effective

11 hours ago, MDGP said:

c. Pit stains

I never really notice so not a concern to me

11 hours ago, MDGP said:

2. Absolute garbage number font, easily a top 3 nike worst effort along with the Bucs' clock numbers and West Virginia's numbers.

I disagree. I think besides being a little too thin they look fine. The little edge at the top is suppose to look like the state of tennessee itself. I hated the previous number look a lot more. It just reeked of early 2000s and just look like stock numbers you’d see on high school teams. My rule of thumb in numbers is either use default block numbers or something super specialized but not just a middle

11 hours ago, MDGP said:

3. Horrendous color balance throughout. Navy is obviously the primary, but is the secondary color grey? Or maybe it's the darker grey? Oh wait, the titans are navy and sky blue, just throw on some sky blue on some tiny side panels and nowhere on the helmet or pants.

Eh i guess but to me if it works it works and here I think it works you don’t agree to disagree

11 hours ago, MDGP said:

a. The red nike logos clearly designed for no other reason than to say "HEY, BUY  NIKE GEAR"

I have never really paid attention to nike logos

11 hours ago, MDGP said:

4. Utter lack of cohesiveness.

Could you fill me in? You can say the set is bad but incoherent? There is a clear theme going on with the swords and silver. Can you give an example of a coherently bad uniform set so i can get how these are incoherent?

19 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

It’s clean and simple but effective

How is it effective? It's literally just a small two-toned block placed randomly on the side of the pants. It serves no purpose

19 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

I never really notice so not a concern to me

You don't notice a giant block of color that looks like a giant pit stain?

4 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

How is it effective? It's literally just a small two-toned block placed randomly on the side of the pants. It serves no purpose

It mirrors the swords on the shoulders

You don't notice a giant block of color that looks like a giant pit stain?

No i don’t

Just now, Reyes47 said:

It mirrors the swords on the shoulders

Then run it all the way down the pants instead of just throwing a small bit of it haphazardly with no rhyme or reason.

2 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

No i don’t

Then pay more attention. Why even have it if most people don't notice it and the people that do think it looks like pit stains

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Guess I’ll weigh in on this. For me the two orange stripes provide the right amount of orange to properly balance the jerseys and pants with the orange helmet. With the B/O/B striping pattern the single orange stripe just doesn’t quite provide that right balance, even though it may seem to match the jersey stripes better in a vacuum. The jerseys are brown and white heavy, and with the bright orange helmet there just needs to be the two orange stripes to properly balance everything. The white pants with the O/B/O striping look especially “right” when paired with the brown jerseys because there’s consistency in there being two orange stripes against white on both the jersey and pant stripe sequences. With the white jerseys the O/B/O striping does look somewhat inconsistent in that the jersey stripes have brown on the outside while the pant stripes have orange on the outside, but there’s still consistency in there being two orange stripes in both stripe sequences. And, while the B/O/B pant striping might seem to match the white jersey stripes better in a vacuum with the brown on the outside in both, it just doesn’t look right when paired with the orange helmet. The two orange stripes just look right when you look at the uniform as a whole, whereas the B/O/B just doesn’t quite have that same effect despite it seeming like the more logical solution. The fact that it’s their traditional look just adds to how “right” the O/B/O looks and how “wrong” the B/O/B looks. Again, this is just my opinion, but I think it’s one that’s shared by many here, at least in part. 

The BOB not only matches the jersey stripes better, it matches the helmet and sock stripes better as well.. It's not "in a vacuum", it's literally across the board..

And if "balancing" the uniform with more orange down low is so important, then OWO would be a better option imo.. like Clemson does with their white pants.. although as a primarily brown team with orange secondary color, the proportions are near perfect with the BOB striping..

Problem with the titans is the combos they wear. If they wore the light blue pants more and mixed it up instead of ALWAYS wearing white over navy or mono navy, it’s a unique colorful set that works in my opinion. I’m all for the titans switching to light blue as their primary, we have more than enough navy teams in the nfl.

Did... Did I get multi-quoted EIGHT times in one post?

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

29 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The BOB not only matches the jersey stripes better, it matches the helmet and sock stripes better as well.. It's not "in a vacuum", it's literally across the board..

And if "balancing" the uniform with more orange down low is so important, then OWO would be a better option imo.. like Clemson does with their white pants.. although as a primarily brown team with orange secondary color, the proportions are near perfect with the BOB striping..

My opinion differs with pretty much everything you said there, because of all the reasons I outlined above. Stripe consistency and “matching better” aren’t the ultimate goal, and when you look at the uniform as a whole the O/B/O is the better option and the one that makes the whole package work. If you wanna talk about stripe consistency and matching I’d say the O/B/O matches the other stripe patterns just as well as the B/O/B since there’s a mix of three stripe and five stripe patterns, but the O/B/O also has the added benefit of just flat out looking better with the rest of the uniform. That is the ultimate goal, really, and the one that should win out over trying to be wholly consistent with every little detail. You’re fine to keep disagreeing (I know you will), but plenty of others on here as well as myself recognize how and why the O/B/O has stood the test of time and why it’s ultimately the best solution for the uniform set as a whole.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

It HAS worked.. most of the times, it's been accompanied by horrible design choices elsewhere in the uniform, so everything gets scrapped.. doesn't mean that one element was bad.. the OBO striping looks horrible.. no two ways about it.. BOB is unquestionably superior.. you won't change my mind on this

It HAS NEVER worked.. most of the times, it's been accompanied by horrible design choices elsewhere in the uniform, so everything gets scrapped EXCEPT FOR WHEN THEY TRIED WITH THEIR TRADITIONAL UNIFORMS AND DECIDED TO GO BACK TO THE OBO STRIPES BECAUSE that one element was bad.. the OBO striping looks GOOD.. no two ways about it.. BOB is unquestionably inferior.. you won't change my mind on this

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 hours ago, Bluefalcon said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Johnson is one of those non-uni guys who never even noticed that the Browns had orange pants before.

Wait?!?! The Browns once wore orange pants? Next thing you'll try to convince me that the Pepsi can design hasn't always been the exact same thing. ;)

(This is what happens when I read through ten pages of this thread rapidly after having a little too much caffeine in the morning).

Archived