Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

Hopefully in another season or two, the Browns come to their senses and replace that God awful brown facemask with either white or gray.

The brown facemask is the only thing holding this uniform back.

For me it's the screen printed sleeves. 

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Whether it’s a white, grey, or brown facemask... you’re going to know you’re seeing the Browns based on other variables.

I know this isn't necessarily the direction of this particular discussion, but DNAsports points out a larger issue about any given team's brand and ease of identification when said team has too many options for "mixing and matching" uniform elements. It's possible to identify two teams by their whole uniforms, regardless of the similarity of a part of each uniform, especially in the context of a relatively small pool of teams like the NFL. Every team has the potential to have a unique three- (or if socks count, four-) element color combination at home, and potentially on the road that would make them easy to identify at distance. But as teams add more variations to those elements, the brand cohesion is lost, and the potential for teams to start looking like others with similar palettes rises.

(And I concede, certainly, that there would be more similarities between teams' away looks because of the necessity for more white.)

• officeglenn changed the title to Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

This orange name and number tee is currently being sold on Fanatics/NFL Shop:

spacer.png
This may or may not be representative of a yet-to-be-released orange alternate, but it’s certainly a possibility given the fact that JW Johnson has hinted at there being more to come. It’s also worth noting that all of the other shirts currently available from this new line of Nike name/number tees (including ones for the new Falcons, Pats, and Bucs sets) are representative of teams’ home jerseys, and this orange Browns tee is the only one that’s not representative of the teams’ home jersey. It’s also the only one currently available for the Browns. So again, it may or may not be indicative of a future orange alternate, but I thought it was at least worth posting here. And on the off chance it is representative of an orange alt, here are a couple mockups of how that could look, with both white and orange pants:

spacer.png

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Geezus the Browns need a freaking logo.  That helmet honestly just looks stupid. It’s ridiculous that this is the logo they use to represent the franchise most often. They should be embarrassed that it is mostly what they have available for fans to wear. A basic varsity block C would be better. Brownie would be better, but the helmet as the “primary logo” is just plain crappy.

I think the browns should have changed their logo to a two bar helmet. Since the VSR-4 is outdated you might as well go back to an old school look that is more timeless. Even the 49ers used a two bar helmet in their endzone for the super bowl.

13 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

Geezus the Browns need a freaking logo.  That helmet honestly just looks stupid. It’s ridiculous that this is the logo they use to represent the franchise most often. They should be embarrassed that it is mostly what they have available for fans to wear. A basic varsity block C would be better. Brownie would be better, but the helmet as the “primary logo” is just plain crappy.

As a Browns fan, I completely agree.. It's frustrating a little bit... The helmet looks so dumb on merch.  On the other hand, not quite sure what creative direction the team could go with.  Our Indians use the block C, and people hate it.  I guess Brownie could be a little better

On 4/18/2020 at 5:29 PM, WavePunter said:

Well, all 3 of those teams aren't the Browns, so yeah there'll be some differences. The emphasis was on the pants striping, which followed the dark/light/dark pattern..

As for the Broncos, yes they wore the OBO stripes for a while before correcting to the BOB for a decade before their rebrand, but they also wore the BOB with their initial orange/blue set that lasted nearly a decade.. also, it's worth mentioning that their OBO stripes originally had a thick blue stripe bordered by narrow orange stripes.. that's a fundamentally different treatment than a standard triple-stripe of equal (or at least very similar) widths... So much of that argument for OBO (or oBo as it actually was), loses some of its value, since it's a different type of striping pattern (I actually specifically mentioned that I was referring to the Browns' type of standard triple stripe much earlier in the discussion for this very reason).. take the current Dolphins for example.. yes, it's Orange/Aqua/Orange, but it's still more Aqua-heavy because it's essentially a wide aqua stripe with orange borders.. it can't be reasonably compared to the Browns' pants stripe because it's a very different type of stripe.. the Patriots' silver pants would be an even bigger difference in stripe style, even though each style is technically created with "3 stripes - in a light/dark/light pattern".. so, like the current Dolphins and Texans, and to some extent the Patriots, the Broncos OBO striping isn't the same as the Browns OBO striping..

Also, the whole "socks" argument is irrelevant.. they would've been better off keeping the blue socks after the switch.. while we're on the topic of blue socks, the Giants road uniforms could benefit from blue socks as well.. 

You just proved its relevance by saying the Broncos would have looked better by having *even more* blue down below to balance the helmet, which, again, is my entire point.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

31 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I think the browns should have changed their logo to a two bar helmet. Since the VSR-4 is outdated you might as well go back to an old school look that is more timeless. Even the 49ers used a two bar helmet in their endzone for the super bowl.

I have long thought this. The current “logo” looks more like a picture of the helmet you’d see on a pennant or on a TV graphic.

I really like both of these concepts below. They convey a timeless and classic look. They aren’t overly detailed and don’t need to worry about whether the helmet design is outdated. Most importantly, they feel like real logos, unlike the current design.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The concepts are the work of Gridiron Labs.

https://gridironlabs.com/cleveland-browns-primary-mark-studies

3 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It would be peak Browns if they released orange alternate jerseys but not pants. 

Yeah, it definitely would be. Based on JW Johnson’s hints, it seems like there will be orange pants, though. And if there’s an orange alternate jersey too they’ll probably just release them at the same time and show them off as an all-orange combo.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 4/17/2020 at 6:59 PM, colortv said:

Just leaving this here regarding whether the "current" Browns should be regarded the same as the "original" Browns:

Very interesting.  Next thing you know someone will create a website where people discuss all of the teams' laundry.

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

You just proved its relevance by saying the Broncos would have looked better by having *even more* blue down below to balance the helmet, which, again, is my entire point.

2 blue stripes is "even more" than 1.. but it has absolutely nothing to do with "balancing the helmet".. it's the aesthetics of having more pop of the darker color.. the helmet is irrelevant in both cases

I love that old Mark Duper facemask helmet logos. And yea a million guys wore it but I associate it primarily with Duper as he was the last guy who did and I saw him play all the time being a fan of an AFC east team.

The 49ers still use the Duper helmet facemasks in their endzones

spacer.png

And it works better for the Browns as well. That style of facemask used in the current Browns logo is defunct and wasn't really iconic in any way. Don't like how the helmet is slightly turned too.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, upperV03 said:

This orange name and number tee is currently being sold on Fanatics/NFL Shop:

spacer.png
This may or may not be representative of a yet-to-be-released orange alternate, but it’s certainly a possibility given the fact that JW Johnson has hinted at there being more to come. It’s also worth noting that all of the other shirts currently available from this new line of Nike name/number tees (including ones for the new Falcons, Pats, and Bucs sets) are representative of teams’ home jerseys, and this orange Browns tee is the only one that’s not representative of the teams’ home jersey. It’s also the only one currently available for the Browns. So again, it may or may not be indicative of a future orange alternate, but I thought it was at least worth posting here. And on the off chance it is representative of an orange alt, here are a couple mockups of how that could look, with both white and orange pants:

spacer.png

spacer.png

How about reversing the sleeve stripe colors? 

White/Brown/White/Brown/White

Archived