Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

2 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I know it kinda defeats the purpose of the whole “Color Rush” idea, but a pair of orange or white/cream pants instead of brown would make for a sharp look.

Colour Rush as a program was officially ended in 2018. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Aren’t teams free to use elements from the CR uniform in normal uniforms? If I remember correctly, the Cowboys were the first to do this the first year CR was instituted when they wore the white pants with the normal navy jersey against the Giants

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

Yikes ... I hope Syracuse takes legal action of some kind. It's one thing when the Falcons and Cardinals play 'twinsies' with new but basically traditional designs. But this - this look is more a unique and original approach, right down to the no-white-anywhere and one block letter on the helmet. 

How long has Illinois had these? Are they alternates of some kind?

wS7MJ6T.png

8 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

Yikes ... I hope Syracuse takes legal action of some kind. It's one thing when the Falcons and Cardinals play 'twinsies' with new but basically traditional designs. But this - this look is more a unique and original approach, right down to the no-white-anywhere and one block letter on the helmet. 

Syracuse changed back to more traditional uniforms last year, which look nothing like Illinois’ set:

spacer.png
Yeah Illinois’ current set has some similarities to Syracuse’s previous set, but there were plenty of distinguishing qualities and the two schools have looked similar for quite some time. To suggest that Syracuse should take legal action is just ridiculous, especially since Nike designed both sets and because, like I said, the two schools have had many similar looks over the years. Plus Syracuse never should’ve looked like that anyways, and thankfully have rectified that with their new set that’s more in line with their uniform history.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Which seemed like good news, and yet both Cleveland and Tampa introduced alternate uniforms that can only be described as fitting clearly in the color rush mode.

Yeah, not every CR was bad of course, and Color Rush by no means cornered the market on offensive wardrobe items.

For example, I hated this Steelers' jersey and Cowboys' helmet even more than the Seahawks CR green, and almost as much as the Jags' CR mess.

spacer.png

spacer.png

wS7MJ6T.png

14 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

Syracuse changed their uniforms last year. 

And since both schools are Nike...I'm not sure a lawsuit would have done any good. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

It’s not a big enough deal to take legal action. If it was, Nebraska would’ve sued Wisconsin LONG ago

27 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Which seemed like good news, and yet both Cleveland and Tampa introduced alternate uniforms that can only be described as fitting clearly in the color rush mode.

26 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Aren’t teams free to use elements from the CR uniform in normal uniforms? If I remember correctly, the Cowboys were the first to do this the first year CR was instituted when they wore the white pants with the normal navy jersey against the Giants

Yeah, teams can mix and match from their former Colour Rush sets of them want. The Raiders did it too, pairing their white Colour Rush jerseys with silver pants. 

One of the lasting, damaging, aspects of Nike's tenure is the idea that alternates have to be monochrome. Colour Rush is over and done with but as osv pointed out? Both the Bucs and Browns defaulted to the Colour Rush template for their alternates.

It's unfortunate, but I think it make take the league five years or so at least to break out of the idea that they don't need to follow the Colour Rush pattern for alts. 

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Syracuse changed their uniforms last year. 

And since both schools are Nike...I'm not sure a lawsuit would have done any good. 

Well, not an actual lawsuit. Other than logos, and a fast-dwindling number of never-before used numeral fonts, nothing is unique anymore, nothing. Even the 'no-white-anywhere' feature of those unis. In fact, that's a time-honored element of the hyper-traditional USC Trojans and Michigan Wolverines. 

wS7MJ6T.png

49 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I know but the Falcons, Browns, and Bucs all unveiled alternates that are very much Color Rush uniforms, even if it is no longer an official “thing” it’s still a thing.

38 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

Man, using their new 'logo' for the endzone would look really awesome. IMO. 

Might mock it up. 

Edit: Mocked it up. 

spacer.png

Put Brownie at midfield, and we’ve got a deal. That’s a great looking endzone.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

46 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

Man, using their new 'logo' for the endzone would look really awesome. IMO. 

Might mock it up. 

Edit: Mocked it up. 

spacer.png

I wonder if there'd be an issue with the white line and that during a play, a player at full speed might think it's out of bounds or something.

Looks cool though. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, BroncoBuff said:

Yeah, not every CR was bad of course, and Color Rush by no means cornered the market on offensive wardrobe items.

For example, I hated this Steelers' jersey and Cowboys' helmet even more than the Seahawks CR green, and almost as much as the Jags' CR mess.

spacer.png

spacer.png

These aren't considered Color Rush though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, hugevolsfan said:

So evidently most of twitter remarks are asking what changed or are saying it looks the same on the Browns jersey. It amazes me that most people cannot tell the difference between their previous set & this one.

Those are the trolls that only popped up to say that. They get called out then say "they're still crap" because they feel stupid.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 hours ago, Sport said:

...if you were to start the Browns and design their uniforms for the very first time, but these things don't exist in that vacuum. And I don't even agree that it looks better. There's just not enough orange on the uniform if you stripe the pants that way and OBO just looks more like the Browns. It's one of those uniform quirks that works because it's an old timey uniform when uniforms weren't designed with precision or even all at the same time. It's why the Giants uniforms work despite all their disparate and non matching pieces. 

and every time they've tried BOB stripes, including the last uniform set 

20181028_Steelers_Browns_0024_SB.jpeg

they always went back to the correct Browns striping because that's how you achieve that vintage look. 

Sometimes the mathematically correct way isn't the correct way.

also, "infinitely" is an exaggeration. 

It's not the "mathematics" that have me thinking it would look better.. it's the actual look.. it looks better with B/O/B striping.. by a LONG shot..

the Giants uniforms work because they're simple, classic, and well-designed.. they look great just like the Browns. And like the Browns, they're also not perfect. 

18 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I disagree wholeheartedly.. brown on the outside sounds like it makes more sense, and it also looks like it makes more sense, because it does make more sense.. they don't need to "balance the helmet" with an extra orange stripe on the pants, when they can mirror the helmet stripe by having similar striping and balance it that way.. the solution is super easy.. go B/O/B  with the pants striping.. it looks better and makes more sense.

I mean, I disagree. I think the brown/orange/brown stripes look like butt on those old photos.

But...

Intent on better understanding exactly why I think it looks like butt, I came to the conclusion that the facemask is why. The white facemask makes the helmet very bright and lively, while the brown/orange/brown stripe is dark and heavy, and they look awful together in the context of *that* uniform. Similarly, I don’t think it works with the grey mask because it just doesn’t look like the Browns, which is the whole point of a traditional grey-masked Browns uniform.

I think where you’re right, though, is that this new uniform isn’t the classic Browns, and I think the brown mask does more to modernize the look than people give it credit for. I haven’t mocked it up, but I’d be willing to bet that a brown/orange/brown stripe looks much better with the brown mask.

18 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

BOB stripes on the pants make 100% more sense considering the striping on the sleeves are either BOBOB, or WOWOW, there's never a striping pattern where orange is on the outside on the socks or sleeves, why should their be on the pants? 

But then I could just say, well, because it’s supposed to coordinate with the helmet design, not the sleeve and sock design, and I could say that it makes sense because they’re “cycling” the colors through the entire design instead of switching the center and background, or I could say that they’re just pulling the center section out of the white sleeve stripes. There are lots of ways to make something “make sense,” but sense, just like beauty, is in the eye (brain) of the beholder.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived