Old Guys in "Modern" Uniforms

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/10/2020 at 9:03 AM, C-Squared said:

899c245ff888340c28f8a95fb4ccb86f.jpg

Chris Chelios, 48 😂

This is my favourite. He looks like such a dweeb XD

I think it was @Sport who said it, that this is the sports equivalent of a 47 year old man dressing like his teenage son.

Paul Kariya in the Blues' Edge set:

spacer.png

Dino Ciccarelli on the Lightning:

spacer.png

Phil Housley on the Flames:

spacer.png

And a double-shot, Doug Weight & Bill Guerin on the Islanders:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

This is my favourite. He looks like such a dweeb XD

I think it was @Sport who said it, that this is the sports equivalent of a 47 year old man dressing like his teenage son.

Maybe, if his teenage son dressed like a complete idiot.  If I had a teenage son, he'd never leave the house wearing that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Keeping with the hockey trend.

Mario Lemieux

blog_lemieux.jpg?w=625

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

23 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Can't forget the white version either:

spacer.png

3e7cbc5059340961cf02c94181eae4c4.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, dont care said:

He wasn’t even in his late 30’s how is this an old guy?

I didn't realize there was a specific age cutoff for this 🤷‍♂️. Kariya's career was cut short by injury, so he seemed older than he actually was when he played in St. Louis. I didn't even remember him playing in the Edge jersey era until I looked it up.

Also, the fact that he's wearing one of the Edge-iest, trying-too-hard-to-be-modern templates makes it look even stranger. 

Carlton Fisk wearing the 1990s Whtie Sox uniforms (he's more associated with the mid-80s "Winning Ugly" look as he wore FOUR different uniforms during his White Sox career)

carlton-fisk-chicago-white-sox_i-G-62-6233-9623100Z.jpg

Jim Thome during his 2nd stint with the Indians (he's more associated with the 90s look, primary the 1994-2001 look)

123697603.0.jpg

Harmon Killerbrew wearing the pullover/powder blue jerseys of the Twins (he's more associated with the 1960s look of the team)

harmon-killebrew-of-the-minnesota-twins-bats-against-the-baltimore-picture-id114929606

Although most are more used to him as the Yankees manager (including me), Joe Torre was both a player and manager for the Braves and the Cardinals. Him in powder blue pullover just doesn't look right.  His player/manager career with the Cardinals is the opposite as he wore the pullover jerseys as a player but the button-down jerseys when he was their manager in the early 90s.

joe-torre-of-the-atlanta-braves-poses-for-an-action-portrait-torre-picture-id52488724?s=612x612manager-joe-torre-of-the-atlanta-braves-talks-with-catcher-bruce-and-picture-id52488744

joe-torre.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Jim Thome is a bad example because those uniforms look appropriate for his age/look, even if they weren't his primary.  That's more for the "right team wrong uniform" thread.

I had totally forgotten that Fisk wore those.  Not sure if I'd consider them "modern" though since they're basically a style that debuted in the '40s and was used off and on through the '70s.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/20/2020 at 1:46 PM, disman00911 said:

Carlton Fisk wearing the 1990s Whtie Sox uniforms (he's more associated with the mid-80s "Winning Ugly" look as he wore FOUR different uniforms during his White Sox career)

carlton-fisk-chicago-white-sox_i-G-62-6233-9623100Z.jpg

Jim Thome during his 2nd stint with the Indians (he's more associated with the 90s look, primary the 1994-2001 look)

123697603.0.jpg

Harmon Killerbrew wearing the pullover/powder blue jerseys of the Twins (he's more associated with the 1960s look of the team)

harmon-killebrew-of-the-minnesota-twins-bats-against-the-baltimore-picture-id114929606

Although most are more used to him as the Yankees manager (including me), Joe Torre was both a player and manager for the Braves and the Cardinals. Him in powder blue pullover just doesn't look right.  His player/manager career with the Cardinals is the opposite as he wore the pullover jerseys as a player but the button-down jerseys when he was their manager in the early 90s.

joe-torre-of-the-atlanta-braves-poses-for-an-action-portrait-torre-picture-id52488724?s=612x612manager-joe-torre-of-the-atlanta-braves-talks-with-catcher-bruce-and-picture-id52488744

joe-torre.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

manager-joe-torre-of-the-st-louis-cardin

Mr. Torre wore the second iteration of the pullover jersey/beltless trousers combo during his first season and a half as the Cards' skipper.

UBwef0L.png

On 6/10/2020 at 10:15 PM, johnnysama said:

Hank_Aaron_1974-248x300.jpg -and- 

Hank Aaron played the last several seasons of his career in pullover jerseys (and with the Brewers, that plus the beltless pants combo).

Growing up in Atlanta, I've seen the clip of Hank hitting his 715th home run so many times that he looks completely normal in this uniform. I'd argue he's more known for wearing this uniform than his previous ones. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Archived