AC St. Louis MLS Concept: Updated 7/30

8BW14

As a fan of St Louis sports and the aesthetics of  soccer crests, I’m very interested in the new St Louis MLS team. I have no idea what they will actually do, but the announcement that they would be releasing the logo/name/colors in a couple weeks got the creative wheels turning. St. Louis is a cool city with a ton of imagery and history to draw from. I chose to use the Arch for the overall shape of the crest, with the Apotheosis statue in Forest Park, which depicts King Louis IX, the city’s namesake, as the primary imagery within the crest. I also include the striping pattern from the city flag as a reference to the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers.

I struggled to settle on a color scheme. I think red/blue/gold is a no-brainer, but two MLS clubs already use those colors. Besides that, Burgundy/Gold was my next choice but I’m not 100% sold on that either. I rendered the logo in 6 color schemes and any feedback on the and/or crest would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

ArfEosx.png
Whoops, the year got messed up in the brown/orange logo. I’ll update that ASAP.

This would be a great look for the team. The Apotheosis statue always looks good. I'm also partial to the red/blue/yellow but certainly the navy/wine/gold are close enough to work fairly well. Not feeling the bottom one so much.

That said I think the white outline of the wave, while accurate to the flag, is too thick to go with the inner white stroke of the arch. I'd make it thinner to match and shift the text down. Also, I think "AC St Louis," like the defunct USL team, rolls off the tongue better than the reverse.

Great work! Hopefully the real logo is as nice as this.

Appreciate all of the feedback guys. I’ve narrowed the color scheme down to four: Burgundy/Gold, Green/Blue, Brown/Orange, and a couple variations of Red/Gold/Blue. I really like all of the color schemes and I still can’t pick just one. I’ve also got a few updates to the crest. I cleaned up the statue and added some highlights. I also thinned out the white river stripes and flipped to AC STL, per the advice of @vtgco. I think both are improvements. I’ve also included some wordmarks and a black and white version of the crest. Let me know what you think of the updates and thanks for having a look.

spacer.png

The fourth and fifth ones are the clear winners, for me. 2 and 3 look very similar to the Sounders/Canucks and Browns, and 1 feels a bit too monochromatic. Between the two, I think the text color on the fourth one is better, but I prefer the color position on the fifth.

Tbh I'm a big fan of all of these. My only qualm would be that there's so much detail on the Apotheosis statue that it's difficult to retain that level of detail on printed materials. That being said, I love, love, love that you incorporated a symbol that is so iconic to the city and that should really be utilized more - and you did it tastefully and with class. 

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

Good update here. I think the highlighting on the statue is really nice and makes the design even classier.

However, the navy statue on burgundy feels a bit muddy, so you might need to lighten the burgundy background or switch the statue to gold & white to get enough contrast on 4 & 5. It looks best on 3 because there's such good contrast between the orange & brown.

The river stripe looks better but could be slimmed down even more, so that it matches the other white outline, IMO.

The St. Louis Browns one is the winner for me, classic and an awesome throwback. I love that, and what's more, no other teams in the league use a comparable scheme. I would roll with that one. I'm imagining how awesome the kits could be with those colors, is making me geek out real talk.

spacer.png

I’ve got a few small updates to the crest: I made the inner stroke a hair thicker so it matches the River stripe. I also increased the size of ACSTL and the 1764 ever so slightly as well. There are now some highlights on the face of the statue, which I think makes a big difference. I think I’ve settled on Red/Navy/Gold as the color scheme. I did lighten the red a couple shades to give more contrast with the navy blue. I really like the brown/orange/white, but I think it’s just too similar to the old STL Browns with the Apotheosis statue and fleur de lis imagery. The MLS team should have a unique look that. 

spacer.png

I think this a pretty close to a finished product but please feel free to offer any C&C. Thanks for all of the feedback on the logo/colors. I’ll go ahead and get started on some uniforms and hopefully have those done soon.

That monogram reads as SLT to me.

It's an interesting idea, but overally there's so much jammed into such a small space.  The apotheosis disappears into the background and the text elements have no room to breathe.  I think you've got a good set of elements (even if I'm not a fan of the font), but the arrangement doesn't work.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, -kj said:

That monogram reads as SLT to me.

It's an interesting idea, but overally there's so much jammed into such a small space.  The apotheosis disappears into the background and the text elements have no room to breathe.  I think you've got a good set of elements (even if I'm not a fan of the font), but the arrangement doesn't work.

I agree with these points above. I think you’ve got some good stuff happening here, but you may need to look at the overall flow. It does seem like there isn’t much breathing room for the elements. Maybe its the overall shape you can rework. Like this could be pretty cool as more of an oval, still allowing the top half to keep the arch motif, while giving you more room for everything else (think AC Milan crest shape with your elements). I get why you went with this shape, however I think it creates a bit of an awkward shape within a shape... but it might be the white border throwing me off.  

Something else to consider is the thickness of those borders. Right now (IMO) they seem too thick and the white competes with the outer blue border. 

Colours are cool, but the blue statue over the burgundy will disappear. Might need to lighten the red. Or maybe the statue becomes a single colour like gold, and you just use the red to distinguish the details in shadow etc. Could look amazing! 

Great start here... awesome concept... but I think you can push it a bit more. 

spacer.png

On 7/23/2020 at 8:20 AM, 8BW14 said:

spacer.png

What about taking this color way and either...
* Flipping the Gold and Navy elements on the Apotheosis of St. Louis, or
* Making the Navy elements of the Apotheosis Gold and the Gold elements White?

Also, in the SLT monogram, the T needs to be shrunken a bit.         

Archived