NHL’s New Seattle Kraken Announce Name & Logos

crashcarson15

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ghost316 said:

Excuse my unartistic-ness, but I gave the idea a shot. 

Please go to my "Draw the Indian Head" thread.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, ghost316 said:

Maybe an unpopular suggestion (this was a certain member's idea), but the nautical "S" (sierra) flag is a dk. blue patch on a white background.

spacer.png

Instead of a thick keyline around the entire S, why not place the letter on a blue square that's just big enough to catch the eye and the bottom of the tentacle.

That would allow the eye and tentacle to pop, and the background shape has significance. (maybe someone could render that out)🙂

Squares don't look good as sports logos - at least not on actual uniforms.  It's too 'blocky' and 'stagnant' of a shape, for lack of better terms.  Triangles, and even circles are a little more dynamic, and I wouldn't want to see a square in the middle of a uniform. 

7 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Was curious how the logo would look with a flat S.   I kinda like it...

VmrxL1t.png

I like it too, as i'm not usually a fan of bevels, even if I understand why they were used in this case.  I'd like to see that but with all of the lines reduced in weight - or maybe just the outer keyline, rather than having it the same weight as the tentacle (though then that might make the tentacle more obvious and less of an easter egg.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Dallas's entire new identity has always looked like it came straight out of Create-A-Team. The most unique thing they have going for them is the shade of green.

The logo is great. The colours are great. The home striping is a bit derivative, but the away is unique and knocks it out of the park.

The problem with the 'Create-A-Team' critique is that anything that isn't super traditional gets labeled trendy or nikefied or edgy or whatever else. Its a can't win situation.

34 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

The logo is great. The colours are great. The home striping is a bit derivative, but the away is unique and knocks it out of the park.

I'm still a little miffed they aren't bringing back the star-cut, honestly. That was their best look, to me; I'd love it to be their throwback set if that happens next year.

46 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I'm still a little miffed they aren't bringing back the star-cut, honestly. That was their best look, to me; I'd love it to be their throwback set if that happens next year.

Agreed!! I remember Modano flying down the wing in these beauties and wondering-

"Did he put an extra little cut in that sweater?", because it just seemed to flap in the breeze like a flag. Kinda like Guy.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

VmrxL1t.png

It doesn't work as well for me. Not only does it lose some of its nauticality, but in the actual logo I kinda read the adjacent bevel (under) as part of the tentacle. I don't know if that's the intention, but the tentacle just seems a little spindly when you lose that, no?

spacer.png

7 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

9iTIcwX.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Part of what makes the beveling work me is that is adds on to the "mystery" of the Kraken. It makes it feel that it is actually hiding under the S, whereas the flat version doesn't give that same feeling. I can still see why people would like the flat version better, but I personally prefer the bevel.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, NoE38_Concepts said:

Part of what makes the beveling work me is that is adds on to the "mystery" of the Kraken. It makes it feel that it is actually hiding under the S, whereas the flat version doesn't give that same feeling. I can still see why people would like the flat version better, but I personally prefer the bevel.

Never thought of it that way but you're right - it does make the tentacle look like it's coming up from under, rather than laying on top like it does in the flat version.  I still think I prefer flat, just because I like simple, but I can appreciate the bevel version more now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nice to see it without the bevelling. It's not as bad as I thought it would look but I definitely still prefer it how it is. The bevelling gives the logo some nice depth like @NoE38_Concepts said. It just looks a bit too flat without the shading, like the tentacle could be a just sitting onto of the S as opposed to coming up through the S. The eye obviously benefits from this as well.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The beveling somehow adds a level of professionalism... The logos without beveling look like a decent graphic designers work, where they made a decent logo, but slapped it on a jersey akin to the Thrashers old maroon third jersey.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

The beveling somehow adds a level of professionalism... The logos without beveling look like a decent graphic designers work, where they made a decent logo, but slapped it on a jersey akin to the Thrashers old maroon third jersey.

The whole identity has a clear, crisp look, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the logos a big boost.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived