Best Quarterback Numbers

gwl144

He's also on the list of "when did this happen?"

There's no way this dorky-ass-looking dork could lead a team to a SB.

2e4ad9fbb21805a48b557c674e057e3d.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/1/2020 at 6:52 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Compare those names to the list of 12s and ask yourself if that post was necessary 😁

Tongue in cheek I would say 6 since that's how many points you get for a TD.

Tongue out cheek, I remember the brief spell when 6 was the "hot" QB number (I also notice that tends to happen in phases).  I first remember seeing Charlie Whitehurst in it at Clemson and Jay Cutler at Vanderbilt (I think Whitehurst came first, but I don't remember).  Once those two made it into the NFL then the number 6 seemed to pop up everywhere, most notably Mark "the Buttfumbler" Sanchez.  Prior to that, the only QB I can ever recall having worn 6 as a starter (for the short time he was) was Bubby Brister.  Baker Mayfield has it now, but beyond that...

On 10/1/2020 at 7:07 PM, DNAsports said:

He couldn’t name more than one QB17 (Rivers). I raised him six. Totally necessary for the sake of argument. I like 17 as a QB number 🤷🏻‍♂️

As do I.  And I don't know why; depending on the font, it just looks good.

On 10/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, DNAsports said:

Is Tannehill not having a resurgence with Tennessee?

For $104M he dang well better be!

On 10/1/2020 at 8:59 PM, NicDB said:

Joe Namath was the origin of 12 as the "glamour" number for QBs.  Then every Super Bowl winning quarterback from 1971-1979 wore the number, thus cementing its status.

Which really makes me wonder how we've never really seen too many 16s in the NFL.  Even Petyon Manning switched from 16 to 18 upon entering the NFL.  I'm seriously struggling to remember another QB besides Scott Zolak who's worn 16 since Montana joined KC in '93.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

34 minutes ago, Buc said:

Tongue out cheek, I remember the brief spell when 6 was the "hot" QB number (I also notice that tends to happen in phases).  I first remember seeing Charlie Whitehurst in it at Clemson and Jay Cutler at Vanderbilt (I think Whitehurst came first, but I don't remember).  Once those two made it into the NFL then the number 6 seemed to pop up everywhere, most notably Mark "the Buttfumbler" Sanchez.  Prior to that, the only QB I can ever recall having worn 6 as a starter (for the short time he was) was Bubby Brister.  Baker Mayfield has it now, but beyond that...

There’s a story behind this. Sanchez supposedly wanted to wear 9, but when choosing his number he saw what he thought was a 9 jersey, was just a 6 jersey hanging upside down.

34 minutes ago, Buc said:

Which really makes me wonder how we've never really seen too many 16s in the NFL.  Even Petyon Manning switched from 16 to 18 upon entering the NFL.  I'm seriously struggling to remember another QB besides Scott Zolak who's worn 16 since Montana joined KC in '93.

Montana never wore 16 in KC. He switched to 19 upon arrival because of Len Dawson.

Colt McCoy wore 16 in his first two years with Washington-

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

There’s a story behind this. Sanchez supposedly wanted to wear 9, but when choosing his number he saw what he thought was a 9 jersey, was just a 6 jersey hanging upside down.

Montana never wore 16 in KC. He switched to 19 upon arrival because of Len Dawson

I know that.  My point was that--and I should've worded that differently--I can't remember having seen another notable 16 since Montana left SF.

(And as I type this, I remind myself of Jake Plummer in Arizona.  Still though, the point holds--one would think there'd have been at least a few more 16s around after Montana's run in KC, imitation being what it is, but yet...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

3 minutes ago, Buc said:

I know that.  My point was that--and I should've worded that differently--I can't remember having seen another notable 16 since Montana left SF.

(And as I type this, I remind myself of Jake Plummer in Arizona.  Still though, the point holds--one would think there'd have been at least a few more 16s around after Montana's run in KC, imitation being what it is, but yet...)

Matt Cassel’s magical 11-5 season (‘08) in New England filling in for Tom Brady was while wearing 16-

spacer.png

(That’s sorta notable, right?)

Upon signing with KC, for obvious reasons, he switched to 7-

spacer.png

But after his time with the Chiefs, he switched back to 16 for the next six seasons of his career-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Before donning 8 for Detroit in his last season (2018)-

spacer.png

I know Cassel’s entire career isn’t exactly the most notable thing in the world, but it’s a shame his career is labeled as a journeyman QB while mainly wearing 16.

15 hours ago, Buc said:

You know, it took me longer than it should have to remember him, but I’d say Jared Goff is a pretty notable 16-

spacer.png

6 hours ago, C-Squared said:

I think of this as more of a kicker number, but I do like when a QB rocks the #1, too. Cam & Warren Moon are the only ones that leap to mind.

Geoff George is the only other #1 that I can think of, but he does that number a disservice 

jeff-george-of-the-atlanta-falcons-looks

If we're talking legendary 16s, journeyman senator's son Jeff Kemp comes to mind. 

What the hell is he doing here?

jeff-kemp-of-the-philadelphia-eagles-loo 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Kinda looks like he's doing an Edge/Christian 5-second pose (for the benefits of those with flash photography.)

edge1-1280x720.jpg

87b4b3e34bf938fe3897048dd37811e4d388ae46 

It looks like I'm in the minority on this, but I like the look of No. 5 on a QB . . . even though it has been pretty rare.

I went with McNabb on the WFT because their number font is infinitely better than the Eagles font.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 10/11/2020 at 11:49 AM, monkeypower said:

I just saw this one yesterday and does it ever not look right.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29t

And from someone who's not old enough to have watched him live, Doug Flutie rocking #20 for the Stamps looks weird in highlight footage, even with the CFL's more lax number specifications.

Doug-Flutie-throwing-ball-1995-scott-gra

On a semi-related note, I would like to see the CFL adopt the NFL's numbering system.

usatsi_7421274.jpg

UBwef0L.png

On 10/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, monkeypower said:

I just saw this one yesterday and does it ever not look right.

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29t

And from someone who's not old enough to have watched him live, Doug Flutie rocking #20 for the Stamps looks weird in highlight footage, even with the CFL's more lax number specifications.

Doug-Flutie-throwing-ball-1995-scott-gra

If we're gonna go here, then we have to mention the greatest occurrence in history. May I present the Pillsbury Throwboy up in here...

GettyImages_1462806.jpg

lorenzennicethrow.jpg

(R.I.P. hefty lefty...you were always one of my favorite players to watch. 🙏)

Archived