2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

So you're telling me you liked these?!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Haha i knew these would get brought up after I said they didn't have any other bad ones.... no I don't like these, and they probably qualify as bad.  But I'd take them over the current navy alts!

1 hour ago, Stu-BallsOmnicorp said:

Not a fan of those Edge uniforms but I did like the navy and copper set that preceded them. I definitely prefer the below to their current navy and orange uniforms.spacer.pngspacer.png

I still think this was their best identity by a long shot... but in hindsight, I think a more industrial-looking teal/grey color would have worked better in place of red, like in this concept I made a few years ago:

spacer.png

• Huh? 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

My definitive list of the best uniform matchups of the first round:

1.  NYR and Pittsburgh

2.  Calgary and Dallas

3.  Minnesota and St Louis

4.  Carolina and Boston

5.  Colorado and Nashville

6.  Edmonton and LA

7.  Florida and Washington

8.  Toronto and Tampa Bay

• Like 3

On 5/3/2022 at 11:29 AM, Stu-BallsOmnicorp said:

Not a fan of those Edge uniforms but I did like the navy and copper set that preceded them. I definitely prefer the below to their current navy and orange uniforms.spacer.pngspacer.png

I think these are great colors on their own. But I think this is one of those examples where a color scheme can work, but maybe not for a team known more for brighter shades.  There seemed to be a trend in the late '90s/early '00s in which teams with brightly-colored palettes switched to more muted tones (the Canucks, Brewers, Eagles, among others), which I presume was the result of teams chasing color trends at the time. 

I'm glad the Oilers reverted back to the Gretzky-era colors. It's what they should always look like.  

• Like 1

The problem with the Oilers is that their 80s team was quite possibly the greatest hockey team ever assembled. So good that they lost the best player in the history of the sport and still won another Cup. 

So when you leave that much of a mark on the sport it becomes hard to justify a move away from that. Look at the Islanders' fisherman disaster after ditching their dynasty unis. 

"The Oilers should wear orange!"

"The Oilers should wear navy!"

"The Oilers should wear navy and copper!"

"The Oilers should wear navy and copper and look industrial!"

Not bad ideas in a vacuum, though some are mutually exclusive. But it's hard to justify a move away a look that's so engrained. 

The 90s/00s navy and copper was accepted because it seamlessly went along with the styles at the time and it was conceptually similar to what came before. It wasn't THAT radical of a redesign (we're not talking Islanders fisherman, teal Pistons, or red and black Sabres). And if they had won that 2006 Cup maybe it sticks around but...they didn't. And it didn't. 

Since then they went to that Edge abomination then to the classic 80s look...then to orange and navy...and reportedly back to royal? I donno man...they always seem to revert to the Gretzky-era look anyway, and it was worn by an all-time team. 

Just stick with it and stop :censored:ing with it. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

My definitive list of the best uniform matchups of the first round:

1.  NYR and Pittsburgh

2.  Calgary and Dallas

3.  Minnesota and St Louis

4.  Carolina and Boston

5.  Colorado and Nashville

6.  Edmonton and LA

7.  Florida and Washington

8.  Toronto and Tampa Bay

There are some great uniform matchups this year. Here's how I'd rank them:

1. Calgary - Dallas
  2. Minnesota - St. Louis
  3. NY - Pittsburgh
  4. Colorado - Nashville
  5. Carolina - Boston (would be ranked higher if Carolina was wearing red at home)
  6. Edmonton - LA (would be ranked higher if Edmonton wasn't wearing their thirds)
  7. Florida - Washington
  8. Toronto - Tampa Bay

ugh, why do LA still have those horrible jerseys, that piping that goes down the sleeves, right down through the stripes on the arms, just awful, and the logo? vomit!

Edmonton got rid of theirs, why can't the kings do the same, is it because of the cups won in them?

that is no excuse!

Just go back to the Gretzky era unis, those they wear now  just looks like a cheap knock off of those 90's jerseys!

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Toronto and Tampa both look good...they're just too similar. 

And that's 100% on the Lightning. You know what you did. 

They removed black (for no reason)

So they are not BFBS

No,  they  RBFNR

😅

No, they didn't remove black entirely. It's still a part of their color scheme, though it's very minimal on the home and road jerseys. However, all three of their post-2008 alternates have either been primarily black or heavily incorporated black as trim.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

Toronto and Tampa both look good...they're just too similar. 

And that's 100% on the Lightning. You know what you did. 

It used to be 100% on the Lightning, but I think you have to acknowledge that the Leafs didn't help matters when they simplified their unis in 2016, which includes a single thick hem stripe that is nearly identical to the Lightning's single thick hem stripe. I still give the Lightning 95% of the blame because blue and white should be the Leafs and the Leafs alone to mess with however they want, but 5% now must go to Toronto. It's like, cmon, why would you make the problem worse by moving to something even more similar? At least before that the Leafs had the ultra-stripes on the socks (a crime that they stopped wearing those) and a hem stripe that matched their sleeves.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 minutes ago, Sport said:

It used to be 100% on the Lightning, but I think you have to acknowledge that the Leafs didn't help matters when they simplified their unis in 2016, which includes a single thick hem stripe that is nearly identical to the Lightning's single thick hem stripe. I still give the Lightning 95% of the blame because blue and white should be the Leafs and the Leafs alone to mess with however they want, but 5% now must go to Toronto. It's like, cmon, why would you make the problem worse by moving to something even more similar? At least before that the Leafs had the ultra-stripes on the socks (a crime that they stopped wearing those) and a hem stripe that matched their sleeves.

The Leafs' striping change was 100% a "MLSE is a money monster" move. There were rumours for years that the Leafs wanted to ditch the Ballard leaf for something close to the classic logo but held off because they didn't think the resulting sweater would be different enough to get fans out there buying the new stuff. 

So when they finally committed to something resembling the classic logo they of course changed the hem stripe because now it's different enough so you HAVE to buy a new one! It's the type of nonsense that only MLSE could think of. 

Of course this is merely an explanation and not an excuse...but my counter is that the Leafs owned blue and white for a century can do whatever they want in those confines and the Lightning can kindly piss up a rope. 

I mean yes, the Leafs made it worse in a cynical profit driven move, but damnit, they're our colours anyway! 

• Like 3

On 5/1/2022 at 10:33 PM, DTConcepts said:

If you ask me, the Oilers need to dump navy and embrace orange as the main color.

10023615-MNNewEdmontonOilersALtJersey1_6EtBS-KDXIAIuzSZ.jpg

This would easily be one of the best jersey sets in the league. Just tweak the home jersey to match the three-stripe pattern we've gotten used to over the years and it's perfect.

Many Oilers fans would agree. But any combination of Royal Blue and Orange with the traditional Dynasty Era stripes and shoulder yoke would make us happy. The 2015-2017 set was pretty much perfect with the royal blue homes, white roads, and orange thirds (which they also wore for the playoffs). But I like the reverse retros with the orange yokes better than the Gretzky-era whites.

Edit: Also we'd need to go with blue pants on the road, and ideally blue numbers/name as well.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:24 AM, spartacat_12 said:

The orange jerseys with navy trim look 100x better than the orange jerseys with royal. However, the royal blue set looks better than the navy. They should just go back to the royal set, but I'd like to see them keep the single outline numbers. I was never a fan of the thin blue outline between the orange & white.

The orange with royal was imo the best jersey they've ever worn. The orange with navy is the worst. Mainly because the new shade of orange makes them look like pylons.

3 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

No, they didn't remove black entirely. It's still a part of their color scheme, though it's very minimal on the home and road jerseys. However, all three of their post-2008 alternates have either been primarily black or heavily incorporated black as trim.

They did originally. When they rebranded, the uniforms initially had single layer white/blue numbers just like Toronto, and the pants had a thick white stripe just like Detroit. The backlash from the fanbase lead to them to add the thin black trim on the numbers and the lightning bolt outlined in black on the pants, but it was too late for them to make any changes to the jersey striping.

The Oilers wanna be a navy team because it's the 90s and dark colors are in but then navy loses its luster so they return to their dynasty set in the 2010's because 80s nostalgia BUT THEN the orange throwbacks got popular so now they wanna be an orange team so they change uniforms again BUT THEN that wasn't enough, they had to bring back navy BUT THEN someone's navy boner went off and they created this all navy uniform AND NOW SAID "WE'RE ONLY WEARING NAVY ALTS IN THE PLAYOFFS"

I hate this team so much.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

XM4KeeA.png

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

They did originally. When they rebranded, the uniforms initially had single layer white/blue numbers just like Toronto, and the pants had a thick white stripe just like Detroit. The backlash from the fanbase lead to them to add the thin black trim on the numbers and the lightning bolt outlined in black on the pants, but it was too late for them to make any changes to the jersey striping.

Yes, I know about the original failed Maple Leafs costumes.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)