2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't think any of their uniforms were ever any good. Another red team that no one asked for.

Considering red & black matches the actual hurricane warning flag, and they moved into a building shared with NC State, I understand the colour choice. They originally had 2 elements that separated them from the other red & black teams: red pants, and the use of silver. They've already basically eliminated silver, so they need to keep the red pants around.

Luckily the fans don't seem to happy about the change, so hopefully this is the last time we see this. But I said the same about Vegas's chrome helmets, so we'll see.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Glover said:

Canes are wearing these tonight 

spacer.png

And off to a rough start. Down 2-0 to the Sabres after 7 minutes, and this is after they lost to the Sabres in Tuesday with the black pants. One of the worst organizations in sports history outplaying us. This jersey-pant combo doesn’t look bad, but the superstitious fan in me says just stop with the black pants unless it is with and get rid of the black jersey. 

Fixed

That being said, I guess the big comeback maybe put the kibosh on the superstitious angle. I also don't mind this look nearly as much as the black shorts with white. I wouldn't mind this an alternate and trash the blacks. I wonder if they'll try red helmet and shorts with the black jersey next. I would much prefer that to the all black actually. My order of preference for the playoff home set:

(helmet/jersey/shorts)

Red/red/red ---- black/red/black ------------------------- red/black/red ----------------------------black/black/black

They'll probably stick with option #4.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

On 4/6/2022 at 9:45 PM, B-mer said:

Definitely look like 02 Canada dress up. I always thought they should match the white with the home jersey. It’s actually VERY close to the same design as the originals just cleaned up a bit and a little more traditional. 

I’ve posted the concept before so shameless plug to illustrate here with a video game model:

spacer.png

I also wish they’d stop with the black in the playoffs. The home jersey is their best one and feels like they don’t think so. Wasn’t there rumor of that changing soon?

Is that nhl 22? It looks like something from the early 2000’s

I've always wondered why, when it comes to colored sweaters, why the pants are always either the same color as the jersey, or darker than the jersey, but (with very rare exceptions) seldom lighter than the jersey. The Rangers wear blue over red, the Blue Jackets wear blue over red because Doug MacLean wanted to imitate that from the Rangers way back in the day, but every other contrasting colored sweater/breezer combo is lighter sweater/darker breezers.

The Hurrcanes wearing red over black looks like trash to me, but if they're going to do any more mixing and matching, I'd actually be really interested in seeing what the black sweater over red breezers would look like. It's a lighter red than the Coyotes when they did that so I think it could have more promise.

spacer.png

The Coyotes had something interesting going with black sweaters and socks paired with red helmets and breezers, but abandoned it in favor of their forgettable previous set. 

I've wondered whether the Jets could get away with grey breezers with blue everything else. It's as close as they can get to a whiteout uniform without committing the sin of diaper shorts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I've always wondered why, when it comes to colored sweaters, why the pants are always either the same color as the jersey, or darker than the jersey, but (with very rare exceptions) seldom lighter than the jersey. The Rangers wear blue over red, the Blue Jackets wear blue over red because Doug MacLean wanted to imitate that from the Rangers way back in the day, but every other contrasting colored sweater/breezer combo is lighter sweater/darker breezers.

The Hurrcanes wearing red over black looks like trash to me, but if they're going to do any more mixing and matching, I'd actually be really interested in seeing what the black sweater over red breezers would look like. It's a lighter red than the Coyotes when they did that so I think it could have more promise.

Something like this.

spacer.png

• Like 2

@Kramerica Industries I'd say the Avs blue breezers are "brighter" than the burgundy jerseys.  Not a "good" example IMO - the current home uniforms are too drab or something... my guess is the absence of white.   I don't think the grey does a good enough job of separating the blue and burgundy.

Do you think Carolina's red over black is bad because of the aesthetics or because of their identity?  I don't think there's anything wrong with a red jersey over black breezers aesthetically.  CHI, CGY. NJ come to mind.

@the admiral again the example of PHX's black pants reminds me of the Avs.  Black provided contrast to both burgundy and blue, which otherwise don't work next to one another (see the current road jersey adjacent to the blue breezers).  And regarding the grey breezers for WPG, that's something else I wondered about for Avs.  How about someone good with photostop try that out?  I had same thought about white breezers - did Dallas pull that off without fading to nasty color through game?

dfOlfn1.png

Lately I've been thinking how weird it is that the Avs white jersey looks so good with grey (bottom left) but the home just doesn't look right without any white.  I guess that's why they originally did black and white?  I wonder if it's better for them to omit grey / black from both sets for uniformity (like the top row).

@_RH_ - you're right about Colorado. Still don't think I'm always remembering that they don't wear black anymore, though I've gotten used to it and have grown to like it more than what they used to wear. But yes, the burgundy sweaters are the darker of the two.

As far as Carolina goes, looking at the picture @Glover posted, it just doesn't work for me. It's probably a decent amount over-saturation of that sweater/breezer combo and that it's not something Carolina's ever used. I see or have seen red-over-black from the 'Hawks, Devils, Flames, and Senators over the years, and to a slightly lesser extent you can even throw the Avs and Coyotes in there as well (distinctively darker shades of red in their cases, of course). Carolina might've done Red Wings imitation dress-up instead but at least it was only one other team in the league who wears matching red jerseys and breezers so at least it's not as widespread. It also looks like - I could be dead wrong - Carolina's red is darker than what that CHI/NJ/CAL/OTT foursome's reds are/were and so it looks like two dark colors with not much to balance it out otherwise. All things taken into account, I'm not impressed with it.

@M4One's picture is exactly what I was thinking. I actually really like the way that looks. Carolina gets to wear their desired playoff black jerseys while still having some color in their uniforms otherwise. Now that I see that color balance in picture, I hope Carolina does exactly that. And if they don't wish to do that...I know red breezers (or helmets) have never really been something Ottawa's done, but that wouldn't be a bad idea for them either.

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

It also looks like - I could be dead wrong - Carolina's red is darker than what that CHI/NJ/CAL/OTT foursome's reds are/were and so it looks like two dark colors with not much to balance it out otherwise. All things taken into account, I'm not impressed with it.

Looking at TruColor, they have the same shade of red listed (#C8102E), so I don't think that's it, unless we have a Dallas situation where the official shade doesn't match the actual jersey fabric.

I think what really throws it is that Carolina emphasizes black more than white as the secondary color on the home, unlike what CHI and NJ do where black and white are more even. So it just looks darker as a result of white not being as prominent.

I don't hate that Hurricanes look in a vacuum, but we've already seen it from the Blackhawks, Devils, Flames, Cleveland Barons, and Senators. Not to mention a thousand minor, college, and junior teams. It's the most worn combination in hockey and we don't need another team doing it.

If I was king of the NHL here's how I'd manage all the red/black teams:

Blackhawks: no changes

Devils: go back to the cup uniforms. The uniforms now look like somebody tried to make a Devils jersey at home. Also throw the Jersey jerseys into an active volcano.

Flames: no changes. Don't try to dabble in alternates with red and black. Just be the red and yellow team. It's perfect. 

Senators: It was a good move to stop wearing red sweaters and socks and make themselves the all-black red/black team. I'd keep them in black jerseys, helmets, pants, socks, with more of an emphasis on the barber pole. You don't have to go full 67's here, but some reference to it is key - the original unis barely did this, which is why I wasn't happy that they readopted them with almost no changes. When you have a design element like barberpole right under your nose and you don't use it? Ugh, drives me nuts. 

Hurricanes: I'd introduce another color to act as the Hurricanes main color to separate them further from the Red Wings and the other red/black teams. You could still keep red and black and the warning flags, but try it with a graphite? Maybe a dark teal? NC State people would hate this, but try it with a light blue, which nobody uses as their primary color right now? 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, QCS said:

There's a simple solution for the Canes (aside from moving to Charlotte and becoming the Checkers):

The only issue I have with this is the Hurricane Force Wind Warning flag is red, not blue.

Maybe swap for the primary logo in Panthers colors or use the appropriate Hurricane Force Wind Warning flag colors of the secondary logo on a Carolina Blue jersey base, which IMO might look even better. 

NYCdog.png

I know this will end up being a very random question but I put two of my Montreal Canadiens jerseys together and the much older one that is a CCM has a much brighter red than my Adidas Canadiens jersey. Did Montreal at one point darken their shade of red, or is it a colour error on my older jersey? I just love the brighter red of my old CCM Canadiens jersey over the darker red my Adidas has.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

I know this will end up being a very random question but I put two of my Montreal Canadiens jerseys together and the much older one that is a CCM has a much brighter red than my Adidas Canadiens jersey. Did Montreal at one point darken their shade of red, or is it a colour error on my older jersey? I just love the brighter red of my old CCM Canadiens jersey over the darker red my Adidas has.

They did, at least according to TruColor, in 1999. Right at the everything darker is tougher phase of sports design. 

• Like 3

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

17 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

They did, at least according to TruColor, in 1999. Right at the everything darker is tougher phase of sports design. 

I hope Montreal eventually goes back, I love the brighter red.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

So the Blues wore their Winter Classic jerseys again last night, which I think is the third time outside of the WC that they’ve worn it. And the Preds and Bolts have also worn their SS jerseys another time outside of the game, and even the Sabres wore their Heritage Classic jerseys…

Does anyone know if the Wild will wear their WC sweater again? It was way to good to only be worn once

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10