2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

56 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Care to elaborate? The away numbers were blue outlined in red for 55 years. It matches the home uniform better, and almost all of the team's championships were won with that look.

I think without the white between the blue numbers and red outline, the numbers look ugly and messy and the one element from older Habs jerseys that has aged poorly. It almost makes them look purple from a distance cause the red bleeds into the blue. It just stand outs in a bad way. Red and blue don't touch anywhere else on the jersey, why should they on the numbers? I personally think the current version of the Habs jersey is absolutely flawless. Including the rounded nameplate font, shade of red, laces on the neck and double outline on the numbers on the away jerseys. I wouldn't touch anything. I don't think it's the darker shade of red and double outline on the away jerseys that's the cause of our Cup drought lol

Messy:

spacer.png

Clean:

spacer.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I think without the white between the blue numbers and red outline, the numbers look ugly and messy and the one element from older Habs jerseys that has aged poorly. It almost makes them look purple from a distance cause the red bleeds into the blue. It just stand outs in a bad way. Red and blue don't touch anywhere else on the jersey, why should they on the numbers? I personally think the current version of the Habs jersey is absolutely flawless. Including the rounded nameplate font, shade of red, laces on the neck and double outline on the numbers on the away jerseys. I wouldn't touch anything. I don't think it's the darker shade of red and double outline on the away jerseys that's the cause of our Cup drought lol

Messy:

spacer.png

Clean:

spacer.png

Yup!  They need those white outlines.  It also matches the logo with the white outline before the blue.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Yup!  They need those white outlines.  It also matches the logo with the white outline before the blue.  

Exactly, thank you. Those uniforms are just perfect. I even like the mismatching slightly lighter blue pants and helmet. It's a nice quirk I think and dark royal pants that match the blue on the jersey would bring the whole uniform down imo

13 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

It just stand outs in a bad way. Red and blue don't touch anywhere else on the jersey, why should they on the numbers?

Except that when they first introduced these numbers the blue on the collar touched the red shoulder yokes.

spacer.png

Also no one seems to have a problem with blue & red touching on the home uniform.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Except that when they first introduced these numbers the blue on the collar touched the red shoulder yokes.

Also no one seems to have a problem with blue & red touching on the home uniform.

True, and like I said, I prefer the current version of the collar. Also, you can't really compare those two jerseys as they're not based on the same template and the colors are not used in the same proportions. What works on the home jersey doesn't necessarily work on the red jersey and vice versa. Could you imagine white shoulder yokes on the home jersey for example?

31 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

True, and like I said, I prefer the current version of the collar. Also, you can't really compare those two jerseys as they're not based on the same template and the colors are not used in the same proportions. What works on the home jersey doesn't necessarily work on the red jersey and vice versa. Could you imagine white shoulder yokes on the home jersey for example?

The numbers have nothing to do with the template. You said the red & blue look like purple when they touch, so why isn't it a concern on the home numbers?

The Blackhawks jerseys avoid having black & red touch on the striping, but I wouldn't want to see a white inner outline on the away numbers. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The numbers have nothing to do with the template. You said the red & blue look like purple when they touch, so why isn't it a concern on the home numbers?

The Blackhawks jerseys avoid having black & red touch on the striping, but I wouldn't want to see a white inner outline on the away numbers. 

Probably because the home numbers are white with a small blue outline.  There isn't enough red and blue to really mix to create that purple illusion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Clean:

spacer.png

The thing is, the red outline is pretty much the same width as the blue number.  If there was a way to beef up the blue and reduce the red, that would be ideal.   Maybe just grow the blue and reduce the white in between.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

This. Double outlines always look bad on numbers, with few to no exceptions. 

Either use a single outline or go with one-color numbers. Simple as that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Nope, not a concern for me and completely different because the number is mostly white. I don't see any colours bleeding into each other when I look at the red jersey

Concerning the Blackhawks jersey, again just my opinion but I always thought the white jersey was overwhelming compared to the red one. Looks black and white from a distance. I wouldn't add a white outline but I would love to see the red outline become a little thicker. But that's a different situation, red doesn't really bleed into black. Or at least, it's not as noticeable

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

The thing is, the red outline is pretty much the same width as the blue number.  If there was a way to beef up the blue and reduce the red, that would be ideal.   Maybe just grow the blue and reduce the white in between.

True, but only on sleeve numbers. The font is slightly different on the back numbers. The difference doesn't bother me at all

spacer.png

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This. Double outlines always look bad on numbers, with few to no exceptions. 

Either use a single outline or go with one-color numbers. Simple as that.

Nothing wrong with double outlines. Simple as that

3 hours ago, HopewellJones said:

Seriously?

French Canadian culture isn't tied so much to the French flag because the separation of Quebec from France occurred decades prior to the French Revolution, where the French flag comes from.

Québécois French identity is a mix of local-born aspects and elements of Ancien Régime France. Hence why the symbols of Quebec's French population are the old Royalist fluer-de-lis and crosses, rather than republican French tricolours and Phrygian caps. Check out the logo of Quebec's legislator. It's VERY Bourbon. 

All of this is to say that the status of the Canadiens as the team of French Canada and their colours of red, white, and blue have nothing to do with the present day French flag. It's a coincidence. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

French Canadian culture isn't tied so much to the French flag because the separation of Quebec from France occurred decades prior to the French Revolution, where the French flag comes from.

Québécois French identity is a mix of local-born aspects and elements of Ancien Régime France. Hence why the symbols of Quebec's French population are the old Royalist fluer-de-lis and crosses, rather than republican French tricolours and Phrygian caps. Check out the logo of Quebec's legislator. It's VERY Bourbon. 

All of this is to say that the status of the Canadiens as the team of French Canada and their colours of red, white, and blue have nothing to do with the present day French flag. It's a coincidence. 

I was going to say... there's not really much of a Quebec-(modern and current)France connection.

Heck, Québécois/French Canadian French isn't even the same language as France French.

• Like 3

IbjBaeE.png