2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

49 minutes ago, MinnyHockey said:

I really wish there was some gold accents in the Wild uni. Not sure why they're opting out of gold.

I think they've realized it's redundant to use both gold & wheat together in a set. The original uniforms only used wheat as the outline of the logo, and used gold everywhere else. The first fauxback alternate swapped this, with gold only being featured in the logo and wheat being used everywhere else.

• Like 3

What do I think this is?

A red shape in the state of Minnesota.  The chain stitching is the star from the old North Stars logo.  Likely has a W under it, (though might be an M, could be both.)

Edited by officeglenn
Embedded tweet
  • Like 2

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

A Minnesota state outline with MN on it (which it could very well be) seems redundant, IMO. 

If it's the North Stars star I would expect the stitching to keep the point and not crop it, plus I would expect it to be filled in. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think the teased part of the jersey, from today, will be an upper chest logo, similar to the Rangers WC, with the logo saying either “MN” or “MIN”. The chest logo is probably going to be some kind of script. Either a diagonal mark like the Rangers, similar to many high schools across the state, or a baseball style script, which is also similar to many high school hockey programs, and both the Millers and the Saints. 

I also think that the darker cream section from the teaser yesterday, is going to be a sleeve logo. Like the one Dallas had in the last winter classic. My guess is that it’ll have something to do with the State of Hockey moniker, or hopefully patches that have one with “StP” and one with an “M”. I think that would be a really cool way to honor both of the Twin Cities. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I think they've realized it's redundant to use both gold & wheat together in a set. The original uniforms only used wheat as the outline of the logo, and used gold everywhere else. The first fauxback alternate swapped this, with gold only being featured in the logo and wheat being used everywhere else.

...they've never used gold anywhere, much less everywhere else, outside of the logo(s) at any point in their history. The jerseys have always used wheat, it just used to be metallic.

st-paul-mn-friday-10272000-minnesota-wil

Unless we're talking "gold" in the sense that the wheat striping used to be metallic and not "gold" as in Vegas or Athletic Gold or the yellow used in the sun of the logo.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

12 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

...they've never used gold anywhere, much less everywhere else, outside of the logo(s) at any point in their history. The jerseys have always been wheat, it just used to be metallic.

Unless we're talking "gold" in the sense that the wheat striping used to be metallic and not "gold" as in Vegas or Athletic Gold or the yellow used in the sun of the logo.

Saying that "metallic wheat" and "Vegas gold" are different colours seems like splitting hairs.

While the moon in print versions of the logos is shown as athletic gold yellow, on the actual jerseys it's a metallic gold. The stripes & font on the original jerseys is much closer to the moon than it is to the wheat used on the outline/river mouth.

spacer.png

53 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Saying that "metallic wheat" and "Vegas gold" are different colours seems like splitting hairs.

Maybe, but whenever the Wild colours have come up, it's always been referred to "wheat" and not "gold". So saying how they used to use gold conjured up a different image for me, especially with the use of "athletic gold"/yellow in their logos.

TruColor lists a "Harvest Gold" which is the yellow in the logo and then a "Minnesota Wheat" which is the wheat. There is an alternate colour under "Embroidery Usage" called "Gold Metallic" which is the shiny fabric.

I don't think the Wild ever intended for the Minnesota Wheat and Gold Metallic to be two different colours, along with a third similar colour in the Harvest Gold of the logo, it's just that they went with the shiny fabric in the early jerseys while the logo crest had colours closer to the print version.

53 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

While the moon in print versions of the logos is shown as athletic gold yellow, on the actual jerseys it's a metallic gold. The stripes & font on the original jerseys is much closer to the moon than it is to the wheat used on the outline/river mouth.

I think it might just be the different fabrics and a lighting thing. The picture you posted seems fairly washed out. This picture is from the 2003 playoffs, two years before the jersey in your picture, and you can see the moon being a different colour than the striping and different from the crest outline.

ows_139899760773375.jpg?fit=crop&crop=fa

It's not nearly as yellow as in print, but it's a different colour than the striping.

It appears the shiny fabric went away with the switch to EDGE and now the wheat crest outline is the same as the wheat striping. 

USATSI_11744384.jpg

You can see the texture and colouring of the moon in this picture. Looking through pictures right now, the yellowness varies from picture to picture depending on lighting (and probably picture touching up as well).

I don't know if the logo colours have changed over the years or if it has just been the fabric changes on the jerseys. It doesn't really look like it based on the pictures, but I wouldn't know entirely for sure.

IbjBaeE.png

Having owned many Wild jerseys, I can safely say that they’ve all had the shiny gold effect on the moon. It does look more yellow or more gold depending on the lighting of the photo, but it’s always been the same sparkly gold thread that makes up the crest. 

• Like 6

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

6 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It looks like the state outline with an MN abbreviation on it. Kind of like this patch from the Rangers Winter Classic jersey:

spacer.png

God I still love that jersey/set. The merchandise was also excellent. All around a 10/10.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

Having owned many Wild jerseys, I can safely say that they’ve all had the shiny gold effect on the moon. It does look more yellow or more gold depending on the lighting of the photo, but it’s always been the same sparkly gold thread that makes up the crest. 

Yes, the sun (its not the moon) has always appeared athletic gold/yellow on the jersey crest just as it appears in print. I wish they would utilize that athletic gold into the jerseys but I do understand the conflict it has with the wheat.

54 minutes ago, MinnyHockey said:

Yes, the sun (its not the moon) has always appeared athletic gold/yellow on the jersey crest just as it appears in print. I wish they would utilize that athletic gold into the jerseys but I do understand the conflict it has with the wheat.

How can it be the sun if the north star is present ?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ebod39 said:

How can it be the sun if the north star is present ?

I always thought it was the moon for that reason, that you can see the star. I also always took the red sky to be signifying night for whatever reason, I can't explain it, it just gives off a night vibe in the logo. Combine that with yellow moon and it just seemed to be colour choices that weren't based in reality, they were just matching the team colours they picked (but the moon can sort of be yellow-ish too sometimes, right?).

It definitely makes more sense colourwise to be the yellow sun and red sky either being the setting or rising of the sun, but I never see it that way.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png