2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

14 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Alright now that's just a lie. I'm not a mod but let's not start a debate on that

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Well you're both right 😜

I mean to say that they're both "French", but it's not the same exact language. There are differences as language evolves and places grow up, so to speak, especially when that language is in two different countries separated by a large body of water.

Just like how I would imagine the French of Ivory Coast, err Côte d'Ivoire, is going to be different than in Québec and in France. (I don't know that for a fact, I'm just assuming).

• Like 4

IbjBaeE.png

50 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

This:

...is much better than this:

This:

...is better than this:

And this:

...is better than this:

I agree with all of those except maybe the Islanders where I think both look great. You could also add the early 00s Leafs/current Leafs to that list. You can cherry pick all you want, none of those teams are the Canadiens, though ;^)

Except the double outlines and darker red both look bad on the Canadiens. In no situation do double-outlined numbers look better than single or no outlines. The Avs would be much cleaner-looking with no outlines, as would the Ducks, Sabres, and Blues.

Heck, blue numbers with red NOB’s would be better than double outlines for Montréal.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:04 AM, NYRFan said:

Looks like the howling coyote can't be retired just yet, as it adorns the practice jersey in AZ.

Announcement of the white Kachina has to be made fairly soon, I imagine...

I wouldn't be so sure, given the Rangers did something similar back in the 2010s with Lady Liberty being on the practice jerseys well after her retirement.

dogRangers-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&a

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

This:

spacer.png

...is much better than this:

spacer.png

This:

spacer.png

...is better than this:

spacer.png

And this:

spacer.png

...is better than this:

spacer.png

I agree with all of this, but the difference between any and all of these teams and the Habs is that none of those colors clash as much as blue and red do.

Double outlines don't always look bad, and they don't always look good. In these cases, they look bad. In the Habs' case, they look good.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Heck, blue numbers with red NOB’s would be better than double outlines for Montréal.

I think you're way more qualified to be talking about baseball (or furries lol) than hockey. But thanks for your opinion

10 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I agree with all of this, but the difference between any and all of these teams and the Habs is that none of those colors clash as much as blue and red do.

Exactly. Both shades are too similar in terms of brightness. This is also why I prefer the Rangers home jersey. The text logo, name and numbers on the white jersey really bleed into each other. On the blue jersey, red and blue never touch, it looks much cleaner. Anyway, this is a pointless discussion, I feel like people only prefer single outlines because they're more traditional and not because they objectively look better, because they don't

It's just not a one size fits all approach. It depends on how many colours the team has, what those colours are, the number font, the design of the jersey, etc. 

What works for one team isn't necessarily going to work for the next and then definitely won't for the team after that.

• Like 7

IbjBaeE.png

10 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Anyway, this is a pointless discussion, I feel like people only prefer single outlines because they're more traditional and not because they objectively look better, because they don't

Well there must be a reason that there hasn't been a single rebrand since the Preds 10 years ago that introduced double-outlined numbers. We've also seen teams like Colorado, Edmonton, Dallas, and San Jose switch to single outlines. Vegas & Seattle both could've used multiple outlines considering they both use 4 colours in their scheme, but they kept it simple and look much better in the process.

Exceptions do exist, but I think they're few and far between. This is the only one I could think of:

spacer.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Well there must be a reason that there hasn't been a single rebrand since the Preds 10 years ago that introduced double-outlined numbers. We've also seen teams like Colorado, Edmonton, Dallas, and San Jose switch to single outlines. Vegas & Seattle both could've used multiple outlines considering they both use 4 colours in their scheme, but they kept it simple and look much better in the process.

Exceptions do exist, but I think they're few and far between. This is the only one I could think of:

spacer.png

Well, trends come and go. Who knows, maybe we'll see triple outlines in a few years lol. Or maybe we'll see more gradient numbers. The current hot new trend everyone and their dog seem to be doing across all sports is single layer custom block font with quirks (Leafs, Colts, Stars, Falcons etc). Is it gonna last? Probably not. Like the poster above you said, it always depends on striping and colors. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The Habs away jersey just looks more cohesive with double outlines, it matches the waist stripes and the logo. I'm not saying double outlines always look better either

30 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I think you're way more qualified to be talking about baseball (or furries lol) than hockey. But thanks for your opinion

Believe me, I’m qualified to talk hockey. Just because you don’t like what I’m saying doesn’t mean I’m not qualified.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Believe me, I’m qualified to talk hockey. Just because you don’t like what I’m saying doesn’t mean I’m not qualified.

We'll you've yet to make a compelling argument as to why double outlines are bad other than "cause they're bad". I can't take you very seriously when you suggest the Habs should use baseball style single layer number with the name in a different color as an alternative that would look better than what they currently use. That's such an outlandish claim. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they're wrong for not liking double outlines but at least I try and explain where I'm coming from. Just saying "they're bad cause they're terrible" isn't really conducive to a fun or constructive back and forth argument. Shoutout to spartacat_12 btw lol. Arguing with you is always fun bud

I just think they are cluttered-looking and busy, therefore they look bad. 

3 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I can't take you very seriously when you suggest the Habs should use baseball style single layer number with the name in a different color as an alternative that would look better than what they currently use. That's such an outlandish claim.

Not really?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

These all look better with double outlines (though the Panthers' double-outlined NOB wasn't good):

Hockey fans everywhere are making fun of Edmonton Oilers after GM firing |  Offside

Vancouver Canucks 1994 Stanley Cup run: How they saw it | Vancouver Sun

Top 10 Canucks Seasons of All-time - #7: 2002-03 - Nucks Misconduct

Florida Panthers' Pavel (C) and Valeri (20) Bure celebrate Valeri's goal  with Sandis Ozolinsh (R) during first period action against the New Jersey  Devils in Sunrise, Florida, January 23, 2002. REUTERS/Colin Braley

Wayne Gretzky Los Angeles Kings Upper Deck Autographed White CCM Replica  Jersey - Upper Deck - No Size - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

St. Louis Blues' Pavol Demitra (L) is pinned to the boards by Los Angeles  Kings' Lubomir Visnovsky while Martin Straka picks up the loose puck behind  the Kings net in the first

St Louis Blues make Stanley Cup final for first time in 49 years | St Louis  Blues | The Guardian

As Blues' stretch run starts, 5 simple steps to the postseason | St. Louis  Blues | stltoday.com

Tampa Bay Lightning, Tampa General Hospital Team Up for 'We Are TGH Night'  | Tampa, FL Patch

The best Tampa Bay Lightning line combinations of the past decade - Raw  Charge

• Like 8

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Wild’s original numbers looked pretty good with double outlines too. At least on the white sweaters. They probably would have looked pretty good with a single red outline on the original green sweaters. 

I do like the Habs with a double outline because it matches the logo. But there are other teams that a single outline looks great. The Knights are a great example of this. The single gold outline is fantastic. It works for some teams, but not for others. It’s definitely better for some teams to have a single outline as SFGiants mentioned, but the jerseys that are above too are great with their double outlines. The Blues especially would be significantly worse if they only had a single outline. 

And yeah the Stars suck with a single color number. It’s dumb as heck. The Texas Stars look better because of their outlines. 

• Like 5

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Double outlines can work on NOBs if the inner color is darker than the outline. Florida's problem up there is twofold: they should have navy on the inside and red on the outside for legibility, and they're doing too much by double-outlining and vertical-arching. Pick one or the other. Too much novelty in one place.

I think the Sharks could have gotten away with going black-silver-teal on the NOBs and teal-silver-black on the numbers, inside to outside, with their redesign. Of course, they had single-outline NOBs and used orange on the numbers instead. I don't think double outlines are bad, especially not in the HD/4K era. Teams just have to do it with care.

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫