2021-22 NBA Changes

^ The only set up there I think actually looked any good was that Phoenix ASG set. The rest I could definitely do without. Give me players’ wearing thier own teams’ uniforms all day. It’s not that much of a mess, really, and I never had a problem telling which team was which or who was who back then. It’s home vs. road uniforms and you can easily tell which player is which because they’re wearing the uniform you’re familiar with them wearing.

Steph in his Warriors uniform isn’t passing the ball to Giannis in his Bucks uniform going “oops forgot you played for the East”, and I doubt fans will ever squint at thier tv screens going “who’s that guy wearing a #1 Suns jersey?”

• Like 5

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

33 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

See, that just looks stupid to me. It looks like a pick-up game at the Y where everyone happened to wear an NBA jersey, not a special event like the All-Star Game is supposed to be.

Give me this over that mess any day of the week:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The thing with this is they had conferences that had color schemes that clashed well. Red/Gold vs Blue/Silver always looks good together (see 49ers/Cowboys). Now that conferences don't matter (outside of voting, which seems dumb), players are wearing plain black and white jerseys. 

hi-res-37176c41e50369b59f1c48f60a32a35a_

GettyImages-1125538448-scaled-e161185418

Or even worse:

img25070371.jpg

Just now, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The thing with this is they had conferences that had color schemes that clashed well. Red/Gold vs Blue/Silver always looks good together (see 49ers/Cowboys). Now that conferences don't matter (outside of voting, which seems dumb), players are wearing plain black and white jerseys. 

GettyImages-1125538448-scaled-e161185418

My unpopular opinion is that I'll take this over any other ASG uniform scheme. None of the usual jerseys were any good ever since the San Antonio ones, anyhow. Never understood the appeal of a conference-branded or a generic "all-star" jersey.

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

My unpopular opinion is that I'll take this over any other ASG uniform scheme. None of the usual jerseys were any good ever since the San Antonio ones, anyhow. Never understood the appeal of a conference-branded or a generic "all-star" jersey.

I forget what most of the all star uniforms look like, but seeing the black/white jerseys with the black/white logos actually looks really nice. It gives clear delineation to the two all star squads while also showing which team the players play for.

I kind of love it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

See, that just looks stupid to me. It looks like a pick-up game at the Y where everyone happened to wear an NBA jersey, not a special event like the All-Star Game is supposed to be.

Except instead of pick-up basketball players, you're getting the actual players in their actual uniforms,  which instantly makes it nothing like a pick-up game at the Y. And for that reason, it is a special event.

This could just be the result of my love for the old-school NBA, when superstars stuck with a team for their whole career, but I tend to identify a player based on their relationship to a team and, therefore, that team's uniform. So watching them in what is, effectively, a neutral uniform always felt unsettling to me and a little less enjoyable. It's like seeing someone who's lived most of their life with a beard enter a room freshly shaven.

In fact, watching those old all-star games from the late '80s and early '90s recently, I found the most enjoyable part of it to be the introductions, when each player was wearing their team's respective warmup uniforms. Seeing players in their regular uniforms really highlights the diverse color palette of the league, much the same way it does for the MLB all-star game. I couldn't imagine those players running out to their positions in some specialized all-star uniforms.  

• Like 5

The funny thing about the “pick up game” argument to me is that the ASG is literally a glorified pick up game now, even with consistently themed uniforms. Two captains pick thier buddies to fill out thier teams, and two players inevitably get roasted for getting picked last. The only difference is that it’s all nationally televised, celebrities are walking halfway onto the court instagramming the whole thing, and Reggie Miller wonders aloud if a 200-burger is getting dropped at least a dozen times.

I’d honestly rather it look like a pickup game with at least some Conference pride to play for than actually be a pickup game with nothing to play for and generally poor uniforms.

• Like 8

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The thing I like most about the team uniforms is that it creates a time capsule of what the NBA looked like at a certain time. The different jerseys every year gives us a time capsule of what the design trends of a certain time are, so I appreciate it in that regard, but I prefer the former.

With the game being unconferenced now,  there really is no advantage to changing the jerseys every year as the one fun constant design element between the years of Red vs. Blue is now gone.  Plus, with teammates being on different teams now it'd be really fun to see them playing against each other in their team's light vs. dark jerseys.

• Like 8

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

6 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’d honestly rather it look like a pickup game with at least some Conference pride to play for than actually be a pickup game with nothing to play for and generally poor uniforms.

So here's my question though. What is "conference pride"? Do the players have it? The fans? Honestly I feel way more animosity toward other teams in my team's conference than I do in the opposing conference (not including the Lakers and, arbitrarily, Dallas) ... so I've never felt a strong pull to root for a team that's got one or two of my guys but way more rivals, and maybe that's also why spinning up a brand for the conferences each year felt so pointless to me. That and, again, the jerseys were exclusively hideous during Adidas's entire run. 

I do see the argument that it's good to see a player representing the team, so I'm glad they (mostly) still wear the team jerseys for the skills comp. Albeit too frequently the City variation. But in that scenario, ideally, you see the full color pallette of the league but don't need to worry about the messiness of seeing 10 different jerseys playing the same game.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Digby said:

So here's my question though. What is "conference pride"? Do the players have it? The fans? Honestly I feel way more animosity toward other teams in my team's conference than I do in the opposing conference (not including the Lakers and, arbitrarily, Dallas) ... so I've never felt a strong pull to root for a team that's got one or two of my guys but way more rivals, and maybe that's also why spinning up a brand for the conferences each year felt so pointless to me. That and, again, the jerseys were exclusively hideous during Adidas's entire run. 

I guess where I’m coming from with it is that, as a fan, I like the narrative of “West beats East” (or vice-versa) much better than “LeBron and his buddies are better than KD and his buddies.” Maybe the players don’t give a rip about conferences and such, and if so, then I guess this ASG version works for them. But from one fan’s viewpoint, I just don’t see why I’m supposed to care who wins a glorified pickup game devoid of defense or purpose when I can watch other sports’ conferences actually duke it out for some bragging rights. I mean, the NHL has a full-on mini-tournament of divisions for crying out loud. You HAVE to win a semi-final first before you can even win the whole game. I’ve always been much more intrigued by that format then what the NBA’s done lately.

I totally get where you’re coming from with rivals in your own conference, I think there’s a lot of validity in that thought. I guess for me I don’t mind the conference rivals teaming up for one night in the year though. I can set aside my animosity towards Lakers or Warriors if it helps one or more Jazz players win too.

I don’t know, in my opinion ASG’s should have a solid competitive purpose, even if that purpose is determining which of the two conferences (or multiple divisions) gets bragging rights for a year. Playing fantasy basketball on TNT isn’t a good enough purpose for me to care about.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 1/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, gosioux76 said:

Seeing players in their regular uniforms really highlights the diverse color palette of the league, much the same way it does for the MLB all-star game. I couldn't imagine those players running out to their positions in some specialized all-star uniforms.  

You don't need to imagine, unfortunately .

spacer.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bbush24 said:

You don't need to imagine, unfortunately .

spacer.png

I still miss the swoosh-less days.  But eff baseball: bunch of billionaires trying to pay millionaires less money.  

On 1/26/2022 at 7:49 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

I guess where I’m coming from with it is that, as a fan, I like the narrative of “West beats East” (or vice-versa) much better than “LeBron and his buddies are better than KD and his buddies.” Maybe the players don’t give a rip about conferences and such, and if so, then I guess this ASG version works for them. But from one fan’s viewpoint, I just don’t see why I’m supposed to care who wins a glorified pickup game devoid of defense or purpose when I can watch other sports’ conferences actually duke it out for some bragging rights. I mean, the NHL has a full-on mini-tournament of divisions for crying out loud. You HAVE to win a semi-final first before you can even win the whole game. I’ve always been much more intrigued by that format then what the NBA’s done lately.

I totally get where you’re coming from with rivals in your own conference, I think there’s a lot of validity in that thought. I guess for me I don’t mind the conference rivals teaming up for one night in the year though. I can set aside my animosity towards Lakers or Warriors if it helps one or more Jazz players win too.

I don’t know, in my opinion ASG’s should have a solid competitive purpose, even if that purpose is determining which of the two conferences (or multiple divisions) gets bragging rights for a year. Playing fantasy basketball on TNT isn’t a good enough purpose for me to care about.

theres no real conference rivalry in any sport anymore. They’re all friends, have the same agents, switch conferences / leagues all the time, and many of them have played with each other before. Rivalries are fabricated by broadcasters. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

I still miss the swoosh-less days.  But eff baseball: bunch of billionaires trying to pay millionaires less money.  

Isn't that much every professional sport in a nutshell?

• Like 6

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

26 minutes ago, kimball said:

Isn't that much every professional sport in a nutshell?

Yup. It's just a cashgrab anyway, and it's never enough, hence ads on jerseys, (more) ads on the courts, including virtual ones, their association with Draft Kings, and continuous fleecing of taxpayers money in most cities, not to mention alleged ref/umpire rigging the outcomes and/or stats, and alleged juicing baseballs and/or making them harder to hit out of the park.  

Casting aside for a moment the debate about whether they should even have all-star uniforms, this year's are not only bad, but they also really miss the mark in celebrating the league's 75th anniversary. 

If anything, they could have at least taken the same approach they've done with City Edition uniforms this year, and create an all-star uniform that incorporates elements of past versions. 

These have this sort of blandness to them, as if they're the uniforms  of a nondescript opposing team in a basketball movie. They could just fade into the background.  

UPDATE: Just read the Nike press release on this. It's the most Nike thing ever to suggest they're celebrating the league's 75th anniversary by pimping their own new fabric technology, as if that has anything to do with the league's history. 

For the NBA’s 75th anniversary season, Jordan Brand, Converse and Nike are outfitting the marquee matchups during NBA All-Star 2022 with uniforms featuring diamond-inspired color treatments and an innovative new mesh material.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, pepis21 said:

It's official: https://news.nike.com/news/jordan-brand-nike-converse-nba-all-star-uniforms-2022-official-images

4 uniforms for Rising Stars since we've got a new format of this.

I dig the shorts, but they still look like practice jerseys.  Also, LOL and SMH @ Clorox and Ruffles ads.  Plus, Nike referring to  themselves as "Nike, Inc." in their press release is totally cringe.