Professional Lacrosse Changes

Jer15

Another team wearing black as their predominant color. The Wings, Vancouver, and Panther City (I still hate saying this name) all have black uniforms. Not a huge number but it is close to a quarter of the league. I'm sure that the Las Vegas team will wear black too.

From the Twitter and Facebook responses, this Roughnecks rebrand is not being received all that well.

The jerseys are really just the Coyotes old jerseys.

E-xrqApX0AQu9ft?format=jpg&name=4096x409

635709423339341890-CIdj6ZXUMAA8BXh.jpg?w

This is also interesting.

Derrick was the old mascot before CSEC switched him with Howie the Honey Badger, I believe to keep with CSEC's apparent team name-unrelated animal mascot mandate the same time that "honey badger don't give a..." video was viral (neither of those is a joke). From my understanding, the Howie switch was not well liked by Roughneck fans, it wasn't liked by me as a casual fan, and Derrick has been wanted back pretty much ever since he left.

Howie was still there for the unveiling and this Derrick tweet didn't happen until well later in the day, so maybe they'll be going with two mascots now?

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Burmy said:

I'm still mad they decided to ignore their fans and not bring back the Attack (despite the fact that it had 90% of the votes in the name-the-team finals poll)

Wasn't it a part of the deal to keep wolves?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Still such a dumb name.

You'd think that, Texas (especially the Metroplex) being "'Murica" personified, they would stay FAR away from any team with these European naming standards (main reason FC Dallas is thriving is because of their amazing academy). "You're in America, so call yourselves the (locale name) (nickname)!"

I don't know how long this team will last...

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

6 hours ago, Burmy said:

You'd think that, Texas (especially the Metroplex) being "'Murica" personified, they would stay FAR away from any team with these European naming standards (main reason FC Dallas is thriving is because of their amazing academy). "You're in America, so call yourselves the (locale name) (nickname)!"

I don't know how long this team will last...

It's also not like an MLS situation where the sport they play is Euro-centric so they're imitating that style of naming conventions (partially in an attempt to gain some acceptance from the Euro-centric base of the sport at large).

It's also also not like the MLS where any other team isn't using the North American standard of naming.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, 29texan said:

I just got off a 30 day ban on facebook... I'm not going to start with you people here. 

You kind of just did, didn’t you?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1 hour ago, Jer15 said:

You kind of just did, didn’t you?

Oh trust me... no I didn't. 

We all get that the name isn't great and hell, even I wanted them to go with "Fort Worth" despite the fact that I'm glad they used the Panther City moniker, but these subtle, smug (and slightly ignorant) comments get on my nerves. 

You could ask why the team is named that, maybe learn something about a city that's new to this sport and pretty much never gets any attention outside of TCU, but nah, let's all just crap on it and throw out stereotypes.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

11 hours ago, 29texan said:

Oh trust me... no I didn't. 

We all get that the name isn't great and hell, even I wanted them to go with "Fort Worth" despite the fact that I'm glad they used the Panther City moniker, but these subtle, smug (and slightly ignorant) comments get on my nerves. 

You could ask why the team is named that, maybe learn something about a city that's new to this sport and pretty much never gets any attention outside of TCU, but nah, let's all just crap on it and throw out stereotypes.

I’m not seeing anyone being smug. It’s a message board where we share opinions….but I digress. 

The reason people don’t like “Panther City” isn’t because of the reasoning Fort Worth has that nickname. 

Smart branding is about making it clear what you are selling. In this case, it’s not clear what city this team plays in. For me, the hardcore NLL fan, I looked up the name and I understand it. For someone who’s never really heard of the sport or is vaguely familiar they’ll go “weird name” and move on.  They won’t be bothered to look things up.  I’ve actually had someone tell me “it’s cool that San Antonio is getting an NLL team”.  I asked them why they came up with that. They said the logo looks like a panther in front on the Alamo. So, to my point, the marketing clearly didn’t work. Could this person have looked up what the team is and why the name? Sure but they didn’t because they didn’t care enough.  I think it’s fair to say that’s a marketing fail. 

Can you imagine if the Toronto Maple Leafs were called the Hogtown Maple Leafs”?  It’s poor marketing and it doesn’t make sense to put yourself behind the 8 ball like that especially as a new franchise. 

• Like 4

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, Jer15 said:

I’m not seeing anyone being smug. It’s a message board where we share opinions….but I digress. 

The reason people don’t like “Panther City” isn’t because of the reasoning Fort Worth has that nickname. 

Smart branding is about making it clear what you are selling. In this case, it’s not clear what city this team plays in. For me, the hardcore NLL fan, I looked up the name and I understand it. For someone who’s never really heard of the sport or is vaguely familiar they’ll go “weird name” and move on.  They won’t be bothered to look things up.  I’ve actually had someone tell me “it’s cool that San Antonio is getting an NLL team”.  I asked them why they came up with that. They said the logo looks like a panther in front on the Alamo. So, to my point, the marketing clearly didn’t work. Could this person have looked up what the team is and why the name? Sure but they didn’t because they didn’t care enough.  I think it’s fair to say that’s a marketing fail. 

Can you imagine if the Toronto Maple Leafs were called the Hogtown Maple Leafs”?  It’s poor marketing and it doesn’t make sense to put yourself behind the 8 ball like that especially as a new franchise. 

It's not even if the Maple Leafs were the Hogtown Maple Leafs, it would be if they were the Hogtown Hockey Club with their logo being a hog of some kind.

I wasn't saying the name was dumb because I didn't know where the name came from. I'm saying it's dumb because it is a naming convention that isn't seen on this side of the pond in a league that doesn't have any other names in that naming convention playing a sport that's probably the most North American sport there is. The name sticks out like a sore thumb.

They could easily be the Fort Worth Panthers and it accomplishes the same thing. Keep the same logo, the same colours, the same everything. Heck, even keep "Panther City" around as a hashtag or a home rally cry or a merchandise option or something like that.

• Like 6

IbjBaeE.png

11 hours ago, Jer15 said:

I’m not seeing anyone being smug. 

You sure?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg