Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Baby Cakes always seemed like a bridge too far.  To me, it was funny/quirky/cute for the first day I heard about it, but after that it was too much.  It had no staying power.  Who in New Orleans would take pride in reppin Baby Cakes gear?  Who would want a hat with an angry Tommy Pickles on it? 

Wichita Wildcats.  That's my vote.  Boring.  But safe

• Like 8

90758391980.gif

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Bring back the Zephyrs.

Hopefully the name may be brought back to New Orleans, though it could easily fit in Wichita (it is a west wind, after all).   Gayle Benson (Tom's widow; current Saints and Pelicans owner) has money to burn and the word on the street is that she will be involved in bringing in a Southern League AA franchise.

The baseball stadium is essentially next door to the Saints and Pelicans training facilities, after all.

Oh, and franchise owner Lou Schwecheimer and his flunky Cookie Rojas can kiss my a**.

• Like 4

It is what it is.

"Wichita Zephyrs" has a great cadence to it. Sometimes the best answer is right under your nose, or wherever your nose was five years ago.

"Goodbye, Baby Cakes" sounds like the title of a Cole Porter song but not a particularly good one.

• Like 7

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Hopefully the name may be brought back to New Orleans, though it could easily fit in Wichita (it is a west wind, after all).   Gayle Benson (Tom's widow; current Saints and Pelicans owner) has money to burn and the word on the street is that she will be involved in bringing in a Southern League AA franchise.

The baseball stadium is essentially next door to the Saints and Pelicans training facilities, after all.

Oh, and franchise owner Lou Schwecheimer and his flunky Cookie Rojas can kiss my a**.

If the Benson family was involved with an AA team I'd love for them to use the Pelicans name. Probably won't happen with a Pelicans MiLB team and the NBA team, but Pelicans is a baseball name to me. Whatever the name ... just make it sane.

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 1/10/2019 at 8:25 AM, BigRed618 said:

I hope they get someone else to do their logos. It’s Brandoise's fault this is even happening. If the Zephyrs never rebranded, or at least not into something idiotic like "Baby Cakes," and alienating their entire fan base, they would’ve stayed in New Orleans, which was their home for over 25 years, might I add.

They were gone the second another city dangled a brand-new facility at them, no matter what their name is. The former Zephyr Field needs a lot of work to modernize and right-size it.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:06 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Baby Cakes always seemed like a bridge too far.  To me, it was funny/quirky/cute for the first day I heard about it, but after that it was too much.  It had no staying power.  Who in New Orleans would take pride in reppin Baby Cakes gear?  Who would want a hat with an angry Tommy Pickles on it? 

Completely anecdotal, but I saw way more Baby Cakes merch on the streets in New Orleans and other areas than I ever saw with the Zephyrs (and I say that as someone who's had Zephyrs gear ever since they came to town!) Even I own the NO hat with the king cake and one with the baby smiling wearing beads - they are great hats at Carnival time. Never was a fan of the "main" logo though with the angry Tommy Pickles as you put it.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:42 PM, B-Rich said:

I always thought the plan floated around was the current ownership team would buy and relocate a Southern League AA team, which would mean the Baby Cakes moniker would live on at the lower level. I wonder if that's still the case, because I'm not sure which team would be ripe for the picking and I also think that would be dependent on remodeling the stadium - it's too big for AAA baseball now, it's downright cavernous for a AA team.

As for whether Benson gets involved, I'm not sure I'd want that. The minor league team would be even more of an afterthought in the facility than the Pelicans are now.

kU6ns.gif

15 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

I submitted Cattle Drivers, as Wichita was the destination for cattle drives entering north from Texas in the 1870s.

An appropriate choice, given the historical significance and the propensity MiLB has to coming up with "double" nicknames like "Iron Pigs" and "Blue Whaoos"

On 1/9/2019 at 11:33 PM, MBurmy said:

I submitted the Wichita Channel Cats.

The channel catfish is the bread and butter of Kansas' fishing industry and about to be named the state fish...also, the team's the Marlins' affiliate, so it makes sense to keep the fish theme.

Of course, if Brandiose designs the logos, we could end up with a regular housecat swinging a universal TV remote control...

Time to bring back SHAMELESS FIVE MINUTE DRAWING PLUGS

E93hPfN.png

Yes, the antennas are baseball bats. This is Brandoise we're talking about.

• Like 5

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Cattle Drivers isn't Brandiose enough. It's going to be something like "Cow Movers" or "Steer Jockeys"?

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

14 hours ago, msubulldog said:

An appropriate choice, given the historical significance and the propensity MiLB has to coming up with "double" nicknames like "Iron Pigs" and "Blue Whaoos"

Or "Baby Cakes" (I will really miss their identity, I actually love it and bought a couple hats which I hope will last a long time after the team is relocated.)

ClAFLDa.png