Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

28 minutes ago, mmejia said:

Dnk7rcBUcAAaYwv?format=jpg&name=medium

The sunrise stripes are nice, but that's not a great rendition of the Round Rock itself.  That swoop at the bottom is odd.  I think they were going for this lighting effect, but it doesn't quite work.

shutterstock_165259487-1024x595.jpg

The swoop is too tall, and the light source too high.

• Like 2

Round Rock Express introduce new logos with Astros affiliation

September 21, 2018 - 11:46 AM

Every two years, baseball fans get to witness one of the true wonders of the sports world: the expiration of player development contracts that Major League clubs have with the minor league teams in their farm systems. At most levels, […]

Read More...

This New Affiliation between Houston and Round Rock (currently with Texas) is part of the following carousel....

Houston's current AAA team, the Fresno Grizzlies will be affiliated with Washington

Washington's current AAA team the Syracuse Chiefs will be affiliated with NY Mets

NY Mets current AAA team the Las Vegas 51's will be affiliated with Oakland

Oakland's current AAA team the Nashville Sounds will be affiliated with Texas

So now Washington and Texas have long distance relationships between Parent and AAA.

In baseball it doesn't seem to matter as much as in the NHL.

The NHL seems to have a lot more call-ups during the season, so it's more beneficial to have your affiliates close. With the shifting of a few teams by the AHL out West (well really by the NHL Clubs not the AHL itself), Pretty much all the top affiliates are a quick trip to their NHL teams for call-ups.

The only exception that comes to mind off the top of my head is I believe Vancouver's AHL team is in Utica, New York.

These affiliation changes are almost as much fun to watch as actual Baseball Games from July to September.

Call me when the playoffs start, that is when Baseball can hold my attention for more than 2 innings on TV.

It's fun when the season first starts, it's a nice signal that Spring and Summer are coming, but 162 games is just too much.

I know they can't really reduce the number at this point since it would throw the historical and record books out of whack.

3 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

It's fun when the season first starts, it's a nice signal that Spring and Summer are coming, but 162 games is just too much.

┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•)  you don't have to watch every game
┳┻|⊂ノ   
┻┳|

• Like 11

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, MC Buffalo said:

This New Affiliation between Houston and Round Rock (currently with Texas) is part of the following carousel....

Houston's current AAA team, the Fresno Grizzlies will be affiliated with Washington

Washington's current AAA team the Syracuse Chiefs will be affiliated with NY Mets

Not to also mention that Milwaukee's AAA affiliate, the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, are moving to San Antonio, taking over the Missions identity as a AAA team, while the Missions franchise is moving to Amarillo and remaining as a AA team. So essentially, the San Antonio Missions are being elevated to AAA.

Y'all know this is just my opinion, right?

14 minutes ago, evoquik said:

Not to also mention that Milwaukee's AAA affiliate, the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, are moving to San Antonio, taking over the Missions identity as a AAA team, while the Missions franchise is moving to Amarillo and remaining as a AA team. So essentially, the San Antonio Missions are being elevated to AAA.

1 hour ago, MC Buffalo said:

So now Washington and Texas have long distance relationships between Parent and AAA.

The NHL seems to have a lot more call-ups during the season, so it's more beneficial to have your affiliates close. With the shifting of a few teams by the AHL out West (well really by the NHL Clubs not the AHL itself), Pretty much all the top affiliates are a quick trip to their NHL teams for call-ups.

The only exception that comes to mind off the top of my head is I believe Vancouver's AHL team is in Utica, New York.

These affiliation changes are almost as much fun to watch as actual Baseball Games from July to September.

Call me when the playoffs start, that is when Baseball can hold my attention for more than 2 innings on TV.

I know they can't really reduce the number at this point since it would throw the historical and record books out of whack.

Might want to keep conversation on topic, you can discuss the moves and affiliations at the thread below

4 minutes ago, Pengin. said:

ROUNDELS! Boo.

Anyways, I like the fact that they are called the express since Minute Maid Park has the train ride and noise. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but it's a good match. 

Express was a direct reference to Nolan Ryan. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Beginning next season, Louisiana's state capital - Baton Rouge - will be home to a Texas Collegiate League franchise. The team will be known as the Baton Rouge Rougarou. The name is derived from the folklore of French Louisiana, where a rougarou is a werewolf-like creature, often depicted with the head of a wolf or dog atop a human body. 

The Rougarou brand beat out Fightin' Beignets, Mighty Flamingos, Red Sticks, and River Monsters in the final round of voting in the franchise's "Name-the-Team" contest.

WRAZP4zm.png

4 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That name sounds straight outta Scooby doo.  A team with flamingo pink sounds awesome though.

Pretty sure I've seen that episode...

In all seriousness, rougarou is the cajun form of loup-garou, which is the french word for werewolf. 

Ultimately I'm not a fan as the name is associated with cajun culture, and Baton Rouge is nowhere near cajun country. If this was a team that was playing in Lafayette or even New Orleans I'd be more open to it, but I suspect the name wouldn't fly in either place as the folklore surrounding the rougarou is quite gruesome. 

This would be like a team in Phoenix or Tuscon calling themselves the Skinwalkers. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2018 at 7:17 AM, MC Buffalo said:

Nashville to Dallas/Fort Worth really isn't that bad distance wise. It's a closer distance than Phoenix is to Reno, San Diego is to El Paso, or New Orleans is to Miami.

• Like 1
Texas.gif