Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

Fayetteville Woodpeckers are the newest team in the minors

November 4, 2018 - 23:20 PM

Since the contraction of two teams in the California League and the accompanying expansion of the Carolina League two seasons ago, we’ve known that the existence of the Buies Creek Astros was temporary. The Astros were a placeholder for a […]

Read More...

6 hours ago, The Mojo Maniac said:

4617541_110418-wtvd-fayetteville-basebal

I suspected that this franchise was going to be dubbed the Fayetteville Woodpeckers the minute the team's owners announced that they were going with a BlackGray, and Red color scheme back in May. That palette is featured in the plumage of many of the woodpecker species found in North Carolina.

It's not bad and certainly tame compared to the new norm of the past several years. I like the name a lot actually. Interesting to see grey take on a larger role. Love the white stroke on the bird-head cap logo. 

My 2 issues:
What is the F supposed to be? Logs that were pecked?
Why the anthropomorphic bird? Feels a bit like the late 90's roided-up Bluejays logo or a small collegiate wood-bat league logo.

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

Brandiose announced that the Amarillo, Texas team identity (former San Antonio Missions) will be unveiled next Tuesday, November 13th. 

Here are the final fan vote candidates;

Amarillo Boot Scooters

The Boot Scooters combines Amarillo’s genuine welcoming attitude with its fun western heritage.

Amarillo Bronc Busters

Amarillo has deep cowboy roots and the Bronc Busters honors the community’s resilient, independent spirit.

Amarillo Jerky

Commemorating its famous cattle drive, there’s only one region that can lay claim to the “Beef Capital of the World.”

Amarillo Long Haulers

Long Haulers celebrates Amarillo’s famous Route 66, open roads, wind-bent trees, and the fun of Minor League Baseball.

Amarillo Sod Poodles

A pioneer’s nickname for “Prairie Dogs,” this fun-loving local animal is very aggressive in protecting its family and home.

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers update logos

November 8, 2018 - 19:56 PM

Every designer has days when they’ve been daydreaming about making subtle changes to a years-old project long enough that they just snap and open up the old files and start working. They ignore the pop-up warning messages that the file […]

Read More...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green27 said:

Brandiose announced that the Amarillo, Texas team identity (former San Antonio Missions) will be unveiled next Tuesday, November 13th. 

Here are the final fan vote candidates;

Amarillo Boot Scooters

The Boot Scooters combines Amarillo’s genuine welcoming attitude with its fun western heritage.

Amarillo Bronc Busters

Amarillo has deep cowboy roots and the Bronc Busters honors the community’s resilient, independent spirit.

Amarillo Jerky

Commemorating its famous cattle drive, there’s only one region that can lay claim to the “Beef Capital of the World.”

Amarillo Long Haulers

Long Haulers celebrates Amarillo’s famous Route 66, open roads, wind-bent trees, and the fun of Minor League Baseball.

Amarillo Sod Poodles

A pioneer’s nickname for “Prairie Dogs,” this fun-loving local animal is very aggressive in protecting its family and home.

Once again, all terrible.  The only salvageable one is Long Haulers but wind-bent trees?

Boot Scooters apparently has to do with a welcoming attitude...yet Bronc Busters has to do with their independent spirit.

Beef Capital of the World is apparently Hereford....48 miles southwest of Amarillo.  Jerky itself is just bad

Sod Poodles?  Just......what?  I googled it and guess what all the search results were? all about the new Amarillo baseball team!!!  nothing about Prairie Dogs.  I call bullcrap on that name choice. 

MiLB continues to be full of head-shaking decisions about branding.

2 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

Once again, all terrible.  The only salvageable one is Long Haulers but wind-bent trees?

Boot Scooters apparently has to do with a welcoming attitude...yet Bronc Busters has to do with their independent spirit.

Beef Capital of the World is apparently Hereford....48 miles southwest of Amarillo.  Jerky itself is just bad

Sod Poodles?  Just......what?  I googled it and guess what all the search results were? all about the new Amarillo baseball team!!!  nothing about Prairie Dogs.  I call bullcrap on that name choice. 

MiLB continues to be full of head-shaking decisions about branding.

This is all Brandiose's fault. I'm shocked they aren't pitching "The Yellow Rose of Texas Boot Scooters" because why would you use a city name when you can use a nickname that nobody uses? 

I can't wait to see a sod poodle swinging a bat like a friar, or a dozen different variations of a anthropomorphized piece of beef jerky, or maybe 3 different mascots to truly encapsulate what a Long Hauler is. Brandiose has taken the fun aspects of minor league branding and made them everything I hate about minor league branding. 

I may sound like the old white guys calling MLB games from the press box and complaining about professionalism, but I'm sick of forgettable teams with forgettable names and forgettable branding. Your Trash Pandas and your Cave Shrimp and your Pizza Rats are a gimmick and they can't get old fast enough. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mcrosby said:

This is all Brandiose's fault. I'm shocked they aren't pitching "The Yellow Rose of Texas Boot Scooters" because why would you use a city name when you can use a nickname that nobody uses? 

I can't wait to see a sod poodle swinging a bat like a friar, or a dozen different variations of a anthropomorphized piece of beef jerky, or maybe 3 different mascots to truly encapsulate what a Long Hauler is. Brandiose has taken the fun aspects of minor league branding and made them everything I hate about minor league branding. 

I may sound like the old white guys calling MLB games from the press box and complaining about professionalism, but I'm sick of forgettable teams with forgettable names and forgettable branding. Your Trash Pandas and your Cave Shrimp and your Pizza Rats are a gimmick and they can't get old fast enough. 

To me, Syracuse Mets is forgettable.  Some people want traditional, some people want fun and new.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

To me, Syracuse Mets is forgettable.  Some people want traditional, some people want fun and new.

It's possible to be traditional while also being new and fun.  Brooklyn Cyclones, Lansing Lugnuts, and Montgomery Biscuits (probably one of the best goofy but not-insane names out there) all come to mind.  They're not TOO outlandish and digging into obscure...excuse me, VERY obscure local ties to try and make a sell to the community.

Things like Rumble Ponies, Baby Cakes, Jumbo Shrimp, Fire Frogs...with very similar logo sets and naming schemes has become gimmicky for the sake of being a gimmick, rather than trying to establish a long lasting name that doesn't make people question "what the hell is a ____________?"

It worries me about the new Colorado Springs team that we'll likely get another dumb name that is so disconnected that it's another headscratcher/facepalm.  Who doesn't to cheer on the Happy Campers, or the Lamp Chops, or the Punchy Pikas?  Throttle Jockeys will likely come out but I could easily see Punchy Pikas """""win""""" the contest. or if it's a legit vote we'll get the Rocky Mountain Oysters and the idea of a buffalo testicle swinging a bat will hopefully cap off the Brandiose-induced redesign fad of these Minor League teams.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

Things like Rumble Ponies, Baby Cakes, Jumbo Shrimp, Fire Frogs...with very similar logo sets and naming schemes has become gimmicky for the sake of being a gimmick, rather than trying to establish a long lasting name that doesn't make people question "what the hell is a ____________?"

Definitely with you there.  At least the Trash Pandas has a point of reference.  But some others don't make sense.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26