Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

On 12/5/2021 at 5:49 PM, panthers_2012 said:

And Rubber Ducks, Rumble Ponies, Yard Goats...etc. Just imagine how funny the Balloon Animal logo could be.

Well the Yard Goats one actually makes sense--at least to those of us in the transportation biz. Yes, the team brand uses an actual animal, but the term "yard goat" itself actually refers to what's known *technically* as a terminal tractor:

Campbells_Shunt_Truck.JPG

ottawa-4x2-with-trailer.jpg

2222.jpeg

Now depending on where you live and/or who you talk to, these things go by all kinds of other names, among them "hostler", "mule", "switcher", [simply] "goat", and "shuttle truck". Those who do the job that requires that vehicle are known as "yard dogs" (as I once was, back in the day). In Hartford's case, same as with many railyards, that thing can be modified and/or specially built to handle rail cars, as well. 

And here's your Useless Facts Trivia nugget of the day.

• Like 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

"Battle Jacks"? That'd be a pretty good name for a football team*...but I don't know about baseball.

(Reminds me of the Bossier City Battle Wings of the long-gone AF2...still to this day one of the coolest nicknames I've ever seen.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

"Battle Jacks"? That'd be a pretty good name for a football team*...but I don't know about baseball.

(Reminds me of the Bossier City Battle Wings of the long-gone AF2...still to this day one of the coolest nicknames I've ever seen.)

They say they've added it because everybody wants them to bring back the Battle Cats name, which they say they legally can't because of the trademark tie-ups...

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 3:33 PM, ltravisjr said:

The Springfield (IL) Sliders of the collegiate level Prospect League has gotten new ownership and are taking suggestions for a new team name:

https://capitaloffun.com/make-your-voice-heard/

I would suggest the Homers given the Simpsons' connection.

Could they possibly get away with the Springfield Homers? I imagine that's a lawsuit instantly. Not the same situation as the Isotopes being a gag that was adapted for real life. This is one of the main characters of a three decade long show tied to the show's setting. It is great, though.

Maybe the Capital City Homers?

Windy Apple Homers?

Capital City Windy Apples?

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 8:29 PM, Sykotyk said:

Could they possibly get away with the Springfield Homers? I imagine that's a lawsuit instantly. Not the same situation as the Isotopes being a gag that was adapted for real life. This is one of the main characters of a three decade long show tied to the show's setting. It is great, though.

Maybe the Capital City Homers?

Windy Apple Homers?

Capital City Windy Apples?

Yeah that's a good point.  I wonder if the team could get by with just branding itself as the homers (as in home run) but knowing the local fan base would end up having fun with the Simpson's "coincidence" in an unofficial wink and nod kind of way. 

On 12/8/2021 at 12:33 PM, ltravisjr said:

The Springfield (IL) Sliders of the collegiate level Prospect League has gotten new ownership and are taking suggestions for a new team name:

https://capitaloffun.com/make-your-voice-heard/

I would suggest the Homers given the Simpsons' connection.

At the very least they should bring in the Capital City Goofball as their mascot.

I like it!  The main reason tourists come to Asheboro is to visit the North Carolina Zoo, so that name was a natural choice...and did I mention how amazing it is to FINALLY see a rhino represented in a baseball logo?

bYhYmxh.png

43 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Tennessee Smokies have announced they will revert back to their previous name of Knoxville Smokies when they move to their new Knoxville ballpark in 2024

I wonder if it will bring a full rebrand or just swapping out "Tennessee" for "Knoxville".

I really like their TS logo, so much so that I bought a hat a couple years ago, and I don't know if KS would flow the same.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png