The Rite of Spring (AKA 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread)

Seadragon76

It's that time again... 16 teams competing for Lord Stanley's chalice. This year is a little different as per the unusual alignment this year.

4 teams in each division compete in the first two rounds and then for the semifinals, the teams are reseeded (using the Division champions as an example - Colorado is the top seed, followed by Carolina, Pittsburgh and then Toronto [The Penguins have more wins then the Maple Leafs, therefore they get the higher seed]. Therefore, the match-ups would be Toronto vs. Colorado and Pittsburgh vs. Carolina).

Two things have came up on the eve of the postseason - the first one is that The NHL wants an answer from Canada by June 1st on what to do with their teams after the first two rounds and the other one? No conference championship trophies this season.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hadn’t heard about the lack of conference championship trophies but it makes sense with the lack of traditional east/west conferences. It does mean we get a break from the ridiculous “will they or won’t they???” debates about whether a conference champion will actually touch the trophy, aka the dumbest superstition in sports. 

spacer.png

In honor of NBC's final playoffs, please rise for our national anthem

FWIW, based on what they posted earlier in the day, it's looking like NBC's once again going to have a better montage at the start of the playoffs than CBC. Still the worst move of the Rogers takeover was getting rid of the guy who made the ones like this

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

What an absolute cluster:censored: by the Bruins. They're only lucky the Capitals decided to play down to their lethargic energy level after the first five minutes of the first or else it could have been ugly. Lame goal for Tuukka to give up in overtime, too.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Stole one with Craig frickin’ Anderson in between the pipes. Hopefully Samsonov or Vanecek is good to go beyond this but that’s a good start by the lads. 

spacer.png

6 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

E1cXOpMWEAMe70-?format=jpg&name=large

The Leafs aren't particularly lucky in the playoffs. I mean, getting eliminated early on shouldn't be a heartbreak at this point.

Also, the Rangers are nowhere to be seen this playoff season, but at least the Knights are still there. I'm hoping for them to lift the cup one day.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, Seadragon76 said:

It's that time again... 16 teams competing for Lord Stanley's chalice. This year is a little different as per the unusual alignment this year.

4 teams in each division compete in the first two rounds and then for the semifinals, the teams are reseeded (using the Division champions as an example - Colorado is the top seed, followed by Carolina, Pittsburgh and then Toronto [The Penguins have more wins then the Maple Leafs, therefore they get the higher seed]. Therefore, the match-ups would be Toronto vs. Colorado and Pittsburgh vs. Carolina).

Two things have came up on the eve of the postseason - the first one is that The NHL wants an answer from Canada by June 1st on what to do with their teams after the first two rounds and the other one? No conference championship trophies this season.

That first part is interesting.  What happens if there's no answer by then?  Or Canada still requires Americans to quarantine for two weeks, therefore screwing up the postseason schedule?  

12 hours ago, DEAD! said:

So what you are saying is.... Leafs in 4 

🙃

It's because no one thinks the Habs are going to win. I also think the Leafs are winning this. But by some chance the Leafs don't show up and hand the Habs the series win, that would mean everyone on that list was wrong. 🙂

29 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

It's because no one thinks the Habs are going to win. I also think the Leafs are winning this. But by some chance the Leafs don't show up and hand the Habs the series win, that would mean everyone on that list was wrong. 🙂

For all we know, this could end up like Lightning-Blue Jackets from two years ago? 🤷‍♂️

I saw, I came, I left.

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

That first part is interesting.  What happens if there's no answer by then?  Or Canada still requires Americans to quarantine for two weeks, therefore screwing up the postseason schedule?  

I'm not sure, but the June 1st deadline is when the 1st round concludes (if Montreal-Toronto goes the full distance). I would think that there would be an answer to this.

If anything, the winner of the North Division may have to play their games elsewhere.

Archived