The Harlem Globetrotters want to be the NBA’s 31st Franchise (Seriously)

DCarp1231

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Yeah, good luck calling any team the Bullets right now. It’s a better name than Wizards IMO (sounds like the name of a kids soccer team), but there’s a reason the NBA isn’t jumping on that grenade.

It didn't say anything about reverting to the Bullets name. Wizards was cool when they had the wizard logo but now they have of the most egregiously boring brands in the big 4 so they might as well change it

45 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

It didn't say anything about reverting to the Bullets name. Wizards was cool when they had the wizard logo but now they have of the most egregiously boring brands in the big 4 so they might as well change it

I’d say the Wizards and Golden State rival each other for most uninspired identity crisis

On 6/23/2021 at 12:31 AM, YELDARBfield said:

In reality, this is a PR/marketing attention play that is somehow working. Their letter does bring up some interesting points about crediting the Globetrotters for transforming the NBA back in the day, but that's hardly a reason to "give" them a team.

This is likely 100% the case. And if it succeeds in bringing some attention to their very legitimate connections to the league's history, more power to them. I can see where there would be some value to them in raising their credibility as a legitimate basketball enterprise that's contributed significantly to the game than, as you aptly described, "a basketball-based circus." 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:04 AM, dont care said:

Even still there have been what 10 players in their entire history to play in the NBA, sure one of them was wilt chamberlain but he was going to the NBA regardless of the globetrotters. I fail to see what they’ve contributed to the NBA especially since 2000. Maybe they could have made this claim back in the 80’s and 90’s when they were relevant helping Scooby doo and in the Adam sander film little nicky. But currently they are so out of the realm of public consciousness it really makes no sense to even pitch this idea. The NBA should read this letter put a big red stamp of “DENIED” across it and send it back with no explanation because they don’t deserve one.

Quick google about what they contributed to the NBA: They beat the all-white Minneapolis Lakers twice, proving black basketball players had talent and led to the integration of the NBA in 1950. They also helped keep the league afloat in the 50's when the teams were struggling to attract fans so they scheduled doubleheaders against the Globetrotters because they were the bigger draw. Two pretty significant contributions, I'd say. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Harlem Globetrotters are a more time-honored and beloved brand than the New Orleans Pelicans, Oklahoma City Thunder, and Brooklyn Nets. Do it, bring the IP in, see how it goes, why the hell not.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Of course, on the chance that they do get in (same odds as somebody winning the lottery WHILE getting hit by lightning), the question would be: "Where would they play?"

Don't think there's space anywhere in Manhattan (let alone Harlem) for a new arena, and the Knicks will NOT want to share MSG.

bYhYmxh.png

40 minutes ago, Burmy said:

Of course, on the chance that they do get in (same odds as somebody winning the lottery WHILE getting hit by lightning), the question would be: "Where would they play?"

Don't think there's space anywhere in Manhattan (let alone Harlem) for a new arena, and the Knicks will NOT want to share MSG.

Is it sacrilegious against the burroughs of NY for them to play in Barclays?

Why not tell them to go to Prudential Center in NJ?

I wasn't really joking when I suggested Vegas. The Globetrotters have been a barnstorming team since their inception (it's in the name!).

Vegas is a perpetual circus; it makes perfect since to have a team like the Globetrotters housed there. They could even build an arena at New York New York to make the city name fit.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I wasn't really joking when I suggested Vegas. The Globetrotters have been a barnstorming team since their inception (it's in the name!).

Vegas is a perpetual circus; it makes perfect since to have a team like the Globetrotters housed there. They could even build an arena at New York New York to make the city name fit.

The NBA might say in that case "you don't you go to T-Mobile Arena?  You know where the Golden Knights play?"

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

If they were going to be a continual show like cirque du Soleil sure have New York New York build an arena for them or use what’s already there, but if they are going to be a legitimate nba team just use T-Mobile arena that’s already there and has the infrastructure.

New York New York is situated right next to t-mobile. It is used for parking at knights games so I see no reason why they should build a new arena. Plus, they don’t have the space.

Okay, maybe I need to be a little direct. The New York New York suggestion was tongue in cheek.

Anyway, I still like Vegas for the Globetrotters. Final answer.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I can see a Vegas-based Globetrotters creating some facsimile of New York around the arena with kids breakdancing and jump-roping. It'll go well with the other carefully crafted theme-park facsimile of New York, the actual New York.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived