MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

I also don't think that Darmstadt would try to sue anyone who wears a fleur de lis on their chest. If they'd be a global club, that would be like some MLS club uses a bird similar to Liverpool. But they are just Darmstadt. 😅

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/8/2021 at 8:39 AM, Digby said:

Matthew Wolff is the designer which is promising news, he's worked on most of the more successful American soccer brands of recent years.

To be precise, the Chicago Sun-Times story says, "The new logo will be a collaboration between soccer designer Matthew Wolff, brand design and consulting firm Studio/lab and sports marketing agency rEvolution."

Matthew Wolff? I love quite a few of his crests, consider some of his work merely middle-of-the-road, and would take a hard pass on other badges. That said, when he's on-point, he turns out some truly beautiful work. 

Studio/lab? They were founded in Chicago, maintain what amounts to their headquarters there, and count numerous Second City businesses and institutions amongst their client list (including Chicago Fire FC investor/operator Joe Mansueto's Morningstar, Inc. and Mansueto Office). I get the sense that they're on board because their team truly understands the city's history and culture and has an existing relationship with Mansueto's companies. 

For what it's worth, rEvolution is also Chicago-based and was on board for the marketing and media rollout of the current Chicago Fire logo. 

Will said collaborators turn out a great identity new logo/identity package for the Chicago Fire... or will this be a case of the proverbial "too many cooks spoil the broth"? Only time will tell.  

Speaking of the Fire, they’ll be getting two new kits again this year:

Sheldon replied to someone on Twitter saying that fans will be able to buy authentic kits this year, so expect the new kits to be custom rather than teamwear or MiTeam designs. Someone also asked him about whether a new logo and/or new colors could be incompatible with the kit being carried over to 2022, and he said that it’ll become clearer down the road whether one kit will be able to be carried over to 2022 or not. Lastly, he offered this opinion on the new secondary:

I could see the new secondary being flag-themed, as that would be an instant hit and also something that could potentially be carried over if it has the flag colors and a monochrome logo and all it would take would be a simple crest swap for 2022. I’ve gotta think the primary is the kit that’s definitely being replaced in 2022, as a new color scheme is pretty much guaranteed with the new logo IMO.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Here’s a pretty basic mockup of what a pink LAFC secondary or third kit could look like:

spacer.png

As a reminder, the speculation about there being a pink LAFC kit is based on their new travel and training gear for this season being pink:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

One small tidbit to keep in mind with Sheldons tweets. He used to be the marketing guy at the Sounders so I expectations are/ where high for him over there. Most of us were quite shocked that he signed off on something like that.
After the failed rebrand he’s gonna have his back against the wall to really show up for this re-relaunch. 

On 1/9/2021 at 4:40 AM, WarriorFight said:

I don't think a Fleur de Lis, which is a historical symbol representing tons of different things, qualifies in the same way as a word like Inter.

That's true, but also I could see it running into its own set of trademark issues on account of being too generic, which is why I can't see Montreal going too minimalist. (Also wondering if Chicago runs into the same issue with the six-pointed star, which is why they have to go galaxy-brain and distort it/make it multicolor instead of doing the obvious thing everyone wants them to do.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

That's true, but also I could see it running into its own set of trademark issues on account of being too generic, which is why I can't see Montreal going too minimalist. (Also wondering if Chicago runs into the same issue with the six-pointed star, which is why they have to go galaxy-brain and distort it/make it multicolor instead of doing the obvious thing everyone wants them to do.)

If it wasn't for the fact that Chicago already had a great brand in the Florian cross, I'd say looking to the NWSL's Red Stars as inspiration for the Fire would be the best thing they could do.

the user formerly known as cdclt

43 minutes ago, Digby said:

Well Slavia Prague uses a red five-pointed star as their crest, and Cruzeiro uses a constellation. A lot of clubs use minimalist symbols. If that's the reason why CHI is doing what they're doing than it's them being overly cautious. Because MTL using a straight fleur de lis or CHI using just the six-point star would be the best possible outcome when it comes to the kits themselves.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Footy Headlines just posted this mockup of what they say is Atlanta’s new primary:

spacer.png
Not a fan of this at all if it truly is representative of the real thing. 

Looks like they gave Atlanta Nashville's pattern. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Huh. I really like it. Atlanta has been "the five stripes," but that always felt backed into for me since so many soccer shirts have their initial basic striping pattern (see: Austin FC this season).

I like this refined look.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived