MLB 2021-22 Hot Stove/Picket Line Thread

LMU

20 minutes ago, EJ_Barlik said:
On 1/25/2022 at 8:57 PM, infrared41 said:

... How many speed-freaks (amphetamine users, not fast runners) from the 60's and 70's are in the HOF? Plenty - including Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.....

What in the world proof do you have that Hank Aaron "supposedly" cheated?

You'll allow for the idea that Mays "cheated",  but Aaron is a bridge too far? Google amphetamine use in MLB in the 60's. It was just as common in the 60's as steroids ever were in the 90's. And yes, by all accounts, Hank Aaron took "greenies" just like everyone else. It doesn't make him a bad person. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, EJ_Barlik said:
  1. Expansion to 32 teams for competitive balance and ease in division re-alignment (4x8 or 8x4, take your pick).  With this comes the re-addition of at least 8 minor league franchises, to bring back some of the teams stolen away during MiLB forced contraction. (Possible expansion cities: Portland, Vegas, Vancouver, Charlotte, San Antonio, Tijuana, I don't really care...

San Antonio should not be considered since we couldn't even get a AAA park put together.  Vegas is what MLB wants, but I don't think there's any other city that helps MLB out. I think having a team in Canada won't be considered, just because of some of the issues with vaccine passports over the last 3 years. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

32 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

San Antonio should not be considered since we couldn't even get a AAA park put together.  Vegas is what MLB wants, but I don't think there's any other city that helps MLB out. I think having a team in Canada won't be considered, just because of some of the issues with vaccine passports over the last 3 years. 

Las Vegas and Nashville are probably the top 2 legitimate choices, with Montreal being a possibility (I still think, if the Rays move, it's to Nashville). If the A's and Rays were to wind up in both those markets, any expansion talk will lessen. Not necessarily end, but there won't be quite as big of  a push. But if they stay in their current markets, you could see things start to heat up. IMO, anyway.

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

You'll allow for the idea that Mays "cheated",  but Aaron is a bridge too far? Google amphetamine use in MLB in the 60's. It was just as common in the 60's as steroids ever were in the 90's. And yes, by all accounts, Hank Aaron took "greenies" just like everyone else. It doesn't make him a bad person. 

Seriously.  Everyone took 'greenies'.  I know Mike Schmidt didn't overlap too much with Aaron, but even he said that literally everyone (including him) took greenies.  If the undisputed greatest third baseman of all time says it, I believe it.

8 hours ago, LMU said:

I'm hoping they come to a deal sometime next week just to table the stupid playoff draft and uniform ad talk.

I just want the idiotic expansion and realignment talk in this thread to stop.  If that means making players eligible for free agency a year earlier, then so be it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Seriously.  Everyone took 'greenies'.  I know Mike Schmidt didn't overlap too much with Aaron, but even he said that literally everyone (including him) took greenies.  If the undisputed greatest third baseman of all time says it, I believe it.

This is true, but he doesn't have that magical quality of telling spring training guys about the times he pooped himself.

George Brett, the #2 best third basemen in more ways than one!

George Brett had all kinds of butt problems.  I know a guy who was working for the Phillies in 1980 and was sent on more than one emergency hemorrhoid medication scavenger hunts for the third best third basemen of all times.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Actually, I wasn't even going to touch Mays.  I was leaving the context of the quote that I felt was relevant.  And I'm not saying either was a bad person. 

And let's not put words in peoples' mouths and assume they meant something, when all they did was take a quote and add a response.

But - credit where credit is due - In his autobiography I Had a Hammer, which was co-written with Lonnie Wheeler and published in 1992, outfielder Hank Aaron wrote that he accepted an amphetamine pill from an unnamed teammate and taken it before a game during the 1968 season, after becoming frustrated about his lack of offensive performance.

So I stand corrected, Aaron did admit to using an substance during his playing career.  (First time I came across that anecdote, incidentally.)  Was that substance "banned" is a different discussion?  I'm not trying to win an argument here - just saying there is a difference.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

8 hours ago, EJ_Barlik said:

And let's not put words in peoples' mouths and assume they meant something, when all they did was take a quote and add a response.

I didn't put words in your mouth. Your post read like you were allowing for the idea that Mays "cheated", but there was no way Aaron did.

8 hours ago, EJ_Barlik said:

So I stand corrected, Aaron did admit to using an substance during his playing career.  (First time I came across that anecdote, incidentally.)  Was that substance "banned" is a different discussion?  I'm not trying to win an argument here - just saying there is a difference.

It's pretty common knowledge that most of the players from the 60's used amphetamines. Steroids were banned in in 1991 and Greenies were banned in 2006. Banned or not, players were still illegally using prescription drugs.  Point being, getting into the banned vs. not banned debate is arguing over semantics.

BB52Big.jpg

On 2/23/2022 at 8:56 PM, BBTV said:

Owners need some kind of protection. 

They have it in the form of national television contracts, digital rights contracts, taxpayer subsidies for their real estate, and guaranteed appreciation of their asset.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2/25/2022 at 2:47 PM, EJ_Barlik said:

Wanna re-think this??

What in the world proof do you have that Hank Aaron "supposedly" cheated?

Agreed.

This is dead right.  With the adoption of the DH, there are not 2 "leagues" anymore.

------------

Aside from all the above, I think baseball needs to solve very pressing issues:

1. Expansion to 32 teams for competitive balance and ease in division re-alignment (4x8 or 8x4, take your pick).  With this comes the re-addition of at least 8 minor league franchises, to bring back some of the teams stolen away during MiLB forced contraction. (Possible expansion cities: Portland, Vegas, Vancouver, Charlotte, San Antonio, Tijuana, I don't really care...)
  2. Balanced scheduling (the NFL solved this - MLB needs to take a cue)
  3. Tampa's done, and a stadium is not getting built.  Move them to Nashville already, who is eager, willing, and ready for baseball.
  4. Oakland better get on the ball, or be relegated to "Tampa" status

How to solve the problem of "the shift" - one idea.  Make the ball 10% bigger, but keep gloves the same size.  Not only will it make the ball harder to grip easily, it should slow down the speed at which it can be thrown, and thus allow more time for players to actually hit the ball where they are intending to hit it.  At the same time, it prevents the need to alter the mound, or push back fences from too many homeruns being hit.  In theory, the 10% bigger ball should be a heavier mass, and thus take significantly more effort to hit homeruns.  This puts doubles and triples much more into play.  In short, it will separate the super-athlete from the average athlete.  Many more will come back to "normal", and the game will be exciting again, with more action on the field.  In terms of pitching, a bigger ball should allow more "borderline" strikes to legitimately be called, thus also upping the chance for the ball being put into play.  Slower speed pitches also enhance control, so there should be more chance to be near the strike zone.  All of that adds up to more baseballs in play.  Of course, none of this does anything to make more accurate fielders, or throwers (especially outfielders and shortstops).

---------------

And to keep this on-topic: they need to end the lockout soon so that Freddie Freeman can re-sign in Atlanta, contrary to the opinion of Buster Olney and his ESPN bosses' bias.  // If they can't re-sign Freeman, I think we're gonna potentially see Shea Langaliers get a lot more time at 1st base.....

How does adding teams create “competitive balance” if anything it makes it worse. Because the stars will still concentrate in the big markets and teams, just means the talent pool for teams at the bottom just gets that much worse

On 2/26/2022 at 7:22 PM, dont care said:

How does adding teams create “competitive balance” if anything it makes it worse. Because the stars will still concentrate in the big markets and teams, just means the talent pool for teams at the bottom just gets that much worse

32 teams creates competitive balance from the standpoint that you can create a balanced schedule every season.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

On 2/25/2022 at 12:01 PM, infrared41 said:

What proof however do you have that Aaron used? 

Archived