MLB 2021-22 Hot Stove/Picket Line Thread

LMU

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The NFL is the final holdout. Sadly, it’s day will come too.

NFL already has ads on its jerseys, and had them on helmets too up until the last 10ish years. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

The NFL is the final holdout. Sadly, it’s day will come too.

It’s already invaded practice jerseys. It won’t be long until the gameday ones have them too. 

Nothing is sacred. Anything for a buck. 

spacer.png

And there was much rejoicing.

Yay.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

We all know who was pushing for ads on baseball uniforms, sadly. More reason for people to hate the owners in this stupid league.

The players aren't angels either, and in some aspects, are worse.  Scherzer is a clown, and their new system still only really serves to keep their top 10% signing super high guaranteed contracts that they'll never live up to, at the expense of younger players.  The union doesn't actually care about the players - they care about the best players.  I hate both sides equally.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hate how my first reaction to the lockout ending was, "Ok, what did they agree to :censored: up this time?" 

Naturally I'm not disappointed. Ads on uniforms are dumb but as long as they aren't so glaring, I can live with it.  

NFL has already shown why expanded playoffs is dumb. 

No one wants to see the 68-94 Pirates get their asses kicked by the 98-64 Cardinals in a game that wastes everyone's time. 

But hey, at least the Mariners can break their playoff drought, and the Angles can make it in winning only 70 games. Giving ownership all the justification to continue wasting the careers of Trout & Ohtani.    

1 hour ago, DoctorWhom said:

No one wants to see the 68-94 Pirates get their asses kicked by the 98-64 Cardinals in a game that wastes everyone's time. 

I feel the exact opposite - I don't want to see the 68-94 Pirates kick the asses of a 98-64 team.

NFL and MLB used to feel like true champions, while NBA and NHL were more like "tournament" champions.  Now it's starting to feel like they're all just tournaments where anyone can win.  IMO the best teams should have to worry about being caught off guard by some team that normally wouldn't have even been there.

29 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

NFL has already shown why expanded playoffs is dumb. 

It would probably never get to that level. Besides, as BBTV said, putting top seeds on-guard for upsets is a good thing. It makes the whole affair more entertaining.

Tournaments are always better than "who had the best record at the end of the year." At the end of the day, all the big four sports are Sports Entertainment. Anybody who thinks that there's any real gap between wrestling's approach to sports and the big four's approach is naive.

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It would probably never get to that level. Besides, as BBTV said, putting top seeds on-guard for upsets is a good thing. It makes the whole affair more entertaining.

Tournaments are always better than "who had the best record at the end of the year." At the end of the day, all the big four sports are Sports Entertainment. Anybody who thinks that there's any real gap between wrestling's approach to sports and the big four's approach is naive.

That's not what I said.  I want to know who the best teams really are, not who gets lucky or who who just happens to present a bad matchup for an otherwise far superior team that shouldn't have to worry about the crappy team.  Upsets are fun every now and then, but it cheapens things when an obviously-inferior team wins the whole thing.

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

That's not what I said.  I want to know who the best teams really are, not who gets lucky or who who just happens to present a bad matchup for an otherwise far superior team that shouldn't have to worry about the crappy team.  Upsets are fun every now and then, but it cheapens things when an obviously-inferior team wins the whole thing.

I beg to differ. I like seeing a cocky team with the best record get upset by an “obviously-inferior” team (within reason, of course - losing record teams should be disqualified from playoffs in all sports).

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

NFL and MLB used to feel like true champions, while NBA and NFL were more like "tournament" champions.

Which NFL is supposed to be NHL here? I'm guessing the second one, but most people feel that Cup winners are by and large legit, pace any hot goalies or early-round weirdness. The only time in recent memory where the lesser finalist, i.e., the one with fewer/lesser/no HoF-bound players, actually won was St. Louis over Boston in 2019. Other than that one, you could eyeball the rosters and guess right every time.

Most NBA postseasons are foregone conclusions, which is either the best thing or worst thing about them, depending on whom you ask.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

Which NFL is supposed to be NHL here? I'm guessing the second one, but most people feel that Cup winners are by and large pretty legit, pace any hot goalies or early-round weirdness. The only time in recent memory where the lesser finalist, i.e., the one with fewer/lesser/no HoF-bound players, actually won was St. Louis over Boston in 2019. Other than that one, you could eyeball the rosters and guess right every time.

Most NBA postseasons are foregone conclusions, which is either the best thing or worst thing about them, depending on whom you ask.

D'oh.  Yeah, second one.

Now that I think about it, maybe you could call Bruins over Canucks an upset in 2011 if you're somehow unwilling to concede that Patrice Bergeron is the best defensive centerman of all time, but that was no team of plucky underdogs. Coin flip at worst.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Not in the marketing profession here, but I have a really hard time believing ads on professional North American sports uniforms actually make the advertiser any money. It’s not like these are sponsorship patches that give the teams the money to buy new uniforms every year.

Will anyone see the stupid Purina dog food patch on the Cardinals uniforms and go out and buy more dog food? What’s the upside for the advertiser? I’ve never seen an ad on a professional sports uniform and not been immediately turned off by it.

Archived