MLB 2021-22 Hot Stove/Picket Line Thread

LMU

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Tnak…

frank_tank.png

Barstool Sports contributor Frank “The Tank” Fleming was so vocal outside MLB headquarters in Manhattan on Wednesday that he and some others who had gathered to protest the lockout were briefly detained by the New York Police Department.”

https://www.barrettsportsmedia.com/2022/03/03/89690/

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Oh Tnak…

frank_tank.png

Barstool Sports contributor Frank “The Tank” Fleming was so vocal outside MLB headquarters in Manhattan on Wednesday that he and some others who had gathered to protest the lockout were briefly detained by the New York Police Department.”

Wow. I wouldn't think anyone would make Tank look small. But geez. 

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Oh Tnak…

frank_tank.png

Are they going to go on a hunger strike?

I saw, I came, I left.

15 hours ago, heavybass said:

Wouldn't it be a good idea if say a team is in the bottom 10 for payroll, the league forces you to list the team on sale on Forbes value? Be a good way to get rid of cheapskates.

No, unless small market teams in places nobody cares about somehow have hidden sources of revenue that they've successfully hidden for decades.  If the Pirates or Royals could make any money, people would be lining up to buy them.

There certainly are owners that are cheapskates by choice, but I'd wager that many more are cheapskates by circumstance.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Royals literally sold for a billion dollars in 2019.  Try again.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

7 hours ago, rams80 said:

The Royals literally sold for a billion dollars in 2019.  Try again.

I didn't know that and would never have guessed.  Wow.  If they sold for a billion, are the Yankees and/or Dodgers worth 10B?

Forbes valued the Dodgers at $3.2 billion that same year.  Sale price would probably be for more, but who knows.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Fans in Cincinnati have been calling for Castellini to sell the team for a while now but now with this news coming out showing just how cheap he is is fueling the fire, not to mention reports that he tried to get Hall of Fame writer Hal McCoy fired.

Signature intentionally left blank

41 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

The Reds will show signs of (playoff) contending and then immediately go into "rebuild mode" after the season. It's like the front office is content with being a farm club.

Same deal with the Mariners. Really frustrating to settle for surprise contention rather than intentional competitiveness.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 3/4/2022 at 10:23 PM, BBTV said:

No, unless small market teams in places nobody cares about somehow have hidden sources of revenue that they've successfully hidden for decades.  If the Pirates or Royals could make any money, people would be lining up to buy them.

There certainly are owners that are cheapskates by choice, but I'd wager that many more are cheapskates by circumstance.

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers? You have this backwards.

They're cheapskates by circumstance because the circumstance is you can turn a higher profit margin as a small market owner by not spending the money to compete. They have money, every team does. The reason smaller market teams keep payrolls low is because the calculus for their market is different from large markets. We know the silly accounting that pretends they're losing money for the purpose of the Books and keeping player salaries down is bunk because the Royals sold 3 years ago for over a billion dollars. The Pirates and Royals and Reds and A's and Rays are making money hand over fist and would all go for over a billion too if they went up for sale. The problem is that the system in place incentivizes winning 76 games as a greater return on investment than winning 86-100 games. 

On 3/4/2022 at 10:23 PM, BBTV said:

If the Pirates or Royals could make any money, people would be lining up to buy them.

You think the only reason Bob Nutting keeps the Pirates or Bob Castellini keeps the Reds is because they can't find a buyer? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

If it had lasted 21 days longer, I could’ve made a Salò: The 120 Days of Sodom joke. Casting the owners as the elite and the players as the young people who get tortured would’ve been so perfect.

I wanted to make this joke during the last NHL lockout. It lasted 119 days, much to my chagrin.

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb-mlbpa-reach-labor-agreement-19.28604

• Opening Day moves to April 7 and a full 162-game schedule will be played
  • Spring training camps open with a March 11 voluntary report date and March 13 mandatory date
  • Spring training games start March 17
  • Free agency to begin immediately once CBA is ratified 
  • Playoffs expand to12 teams, beginning this season
  • The National League adopts the designated hitter starting this season
  • CBT expected to begin at $230 million and grow to $244 million

Archived