NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Did Antonio Brown sexually assault 22 women?

No. Just one.

But see, in the NFL, if you're talented enough, ruining a female's life can easily be overlooked. And even rewarded in some cases!

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

The NFL cares more about if there's video of any incidents - Ray Rice proved that.  When was the last major "personal conduct" suspension?  I didn't spend a ton of time perusing this list, but would Ezekiel Elliott be the closest thing?  He too wasn't criminally charged, but the NFL did it's investigation and suspended him.  After all the legal challenges, he ended up eventually serving 6 games, but I'm not sure if the league would want to deal with those challenges again, when they could start at 6 and settle on 4.  We'll see.  I bet he'll get 6 and serve 4.

The only other kinda similar thing I noticed was Josh Brown, but he had at least one arrest, and admitted to domestic abuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspensions_in_the_National_Football_League

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Very gross move from my favorite team in all of sports. I know every team has bad people, but these allegations aren't someone getting into a drunken brawl at the bar or possessing illegal drugs at a traffic stop. This man was methodical, calculated, and predatory with his actions towards other human beings - then repeated them at least 22 times. To trade all the draft capital AND commit all that money to acquire him so shortly after his allegations is very upsetting. 

• Like 6

T1oYViW.png

54 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

EDIT: need to add this one too. Competitive chastity!!

That last screenshot is fake. 

The power dynamics in the NFL are flipped so I knew Urban, a power-maniacal control freak, would hate the extra handcuffs of the NFL and not being able to boss around millionaires the same way he could push around his teenaged slave laborers, but I never anticipated how incredibly dumb he is. What a butthead. There's rumors all over Columbus for years that he is "neurodivergent" and nothing in the article dispels that idea. His brief time with the Jags provided several dozen examples of a man lacking all emotional intelligence, and successfully managing people is like half the job of an NFL head coach. 

• Like 6

PvO6ZWJ.png

Since I'll be out for tonight's Basically Sports, here's my NFL thoughts for the day:

1. The Browns trading for Deshaun Watson is sad.  He's the type of player who brings out all the worst in everyone.  It reveals gross Browns fans who immediately take his side, claiming that bitches are liars and thieves.  It exposes the "only football matters" aspect of the people running the Browns operation, who are delighted to blatantly lie to their fans, and crafted the abhorrent contract so that if Watson does have to serve some form of suspension or miss time due to being a criminal sex offender, he will barely be financially impacted.  What a great league, yeah?
  2. Speaking of great people with high integrity, how about that Urban Meyer?  You gotta think that he was never interviewed once by the Jaguars.  They hired him on the recommendation of Some Football Guy that Shad Khan met at a Buffalo Wild Wings, right?  "Hayell yeah, mayn; Urban Meyer is a *belch* fuggin' WINner, mahan!"  Honestly we should thank the Khan family for selecting Meyer for a few months of beautiful, wretched exposure.  We got to see him fingerbanging an adolescent at his bar (be sure to order the cocktail named after his wife), learn about how he knew precisely dick about the NFL's players, kicked and berated his staff and roster, and overall wet his pants on the largest football platforms.  Ideally he'll never work again, but you know some pissant NCAA team will pay him out the ass to come transform their school's football program, giving him full agency to ruin young people's lives for as long as he wants.
  3. Bears fans can be really dumb sometimes.  WHY'D YA TRADE MACK?!  said the dope who has watched Mack miss a lot of games and underperform regularly in ones he did appear in over the last three seasons.  WHY AIN'T YA RE-SIGNING ROBINSON AND NICHOLS?! said a boorish oaf who fails to comprehend that hiring a new general manager and head coach almost always means massive changes in philosophy and roster management.  WHY AIN'T POLES SIGNING ALL THE FAMOUS FREE AGENTS?! shouted the imbecile who has no comprehension of how dead money, cap space, and what constitutes a good contract work.  DIS TEAM IS GONNA SUCK said the idiot who has watched the Bears go ~.500 or worse the last two years.  Surliest, dopiest gaggle of beef-swilling yokels, I swear.
  4. Russell Wilson's Walmart Family Portrait is, in my opinion, the least of his crimes.  The rest of the BASS gang will no doubt stab him repeatedly with harpoons, and they have their reasons, but the portrait is fine.  What else would you expect?  He's basically corporate Tim Tebow.
  5. Nobody should be talking about Tom Brady.  No more for you, you attention-greedy bastard.
  6. Baker Mayfield should probably end up going to the Colts, but my heart says he'll go to the Carolina Panthers.  I think he'd do very well there, well, by Baker Mayfield standards, anyway.
  7. Mitch Trubisky gonna do great as a Steeler.  And by "great," I mean he'll throw 1:1 touchdowns to interceptions over the course of the year, will lock onto his top target constantly, and fail to understand how a progression works.  Anyone thinking he's going to be a long-term fix at QB for Pittsburgh is likely mistaken.  The guy's just OK.
  8. The Browns guaranteeing Watson's contract spells disaster for future QB contract negotiations, and likely will cause a labor strike, as the threshold for what merits a 100% guaranteed contract has just been obliterated.  If you guarantee hundreds of millions to a criminal sex mutant who hasn't played in a year, who knows what Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence are going to demand.
  9. Pay attention to the situation in Chicago that occurred with DT Larry Ogunjobi.  Guy agreed to a lucrative contract that was announced during the tampering period only to fail his physical and void the deal.  Just because agreements in principle are announced before the start of the league year doesn't mean those are locked in, especially if the player's coming off of surgery.
  10. Congrats to the Packers on signing longtime Bears punter Pat O'Donnell.  Your atrocious special teams went from awful to meh in a single move.  Also Aaron Rodgers is a douchebag :censored: - sniffer, and I hope Davante Adams nukes them at the earliest available opportunity.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Applause 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

13 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

So, Urban Meyer is a grimy, bumbling, predatory asshat with a god complex who preys on the weak

A college football coach, only more so.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 minutes ago, Sport said:

That last screenshot is fake. 

The power dynamics in the NFL are flipped so I knew Urban, a power-maniacal control freak, would hate the extra handcuffs of the NFL and not being able to boss around millionaires the same way he could push around his teenaged slave laborers, but I never anticipated how incredibly dumb he is. What a butthead. There's rumors all over Columbus for years that he is "neurodivergent" and nothing in the article dispels that idea. His brief time with the Jags provided several dozen examples of a man lacking all emotional intelligence, and successfully managing people is like half the job of an NFL head coach. 

Should have guessed, given barstool and the typos.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Maybe “cult leader” would be a better profession for Urban. He’s what’d happen if Roch Thériault went into coaching instead of local politics and amateur surgery.

29 minutes ago, the admiral said:

A college football coach, only more so.

Instead he's now working with Ohio State to line up NIL money for the athletic department.

https://247sports.com/Article/Urban-Meyer-joins-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-NIL-organization-assisting-athletes-184584848/

35 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Since I'll be out for tonight's Basically Sports, here's my NFL thoughts for the day:

1. The Browns trading for Deshaun Watson is sad.  He's the type of player who brings out all the worst in everyone.  It reveals gross Browns fans who immediately take his side, claiming that bitches are liars and thieves.  It exposes the "only football matters" aspect of the people running the Browns operation, who are delighted to blatantly lie to their fans, and crafted the abhorrent contract so that if Watson does have to serve some form of suspension or miss time due to being a criminal sex offender, he will barely be financially impacted.  What a great league, yeah?
  2. The Browns guaranteeing Watson's contract spells disaster for future QB contract negotiations, and likely will cause a labor strike, as the threshold for what merits a 100% guaranteed contract has just been obliterated.  If you guarantee hundreds of millions to a criminal sex mutant who hasn't played in a year, who knows what Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence are going to demand.

The other thing that annoys me are the fans and journalists in Cleveland  that have just grabbed every knife in the kitchen to cut apart Baker. Could he have reacted better? Yeah, he could have. But when you've been told, "We're going with you this year and we'll see how it goes" you expect a team to stick by you.  There are too many fans that said, "We'd never bring in a player like Roethlisberger", that are now happy to go with, "Well he wasn't convicted, so they're all lying, right"?  I also think the league has helped string this whole thing along by not suspending him last year, and the league AND the Browns did not seek input from both sides, which is par for the course for the league.  If the NFL ever decided to be truthful they'd just roll out a big piggy bank and tell people that contribute to "A Crucial Catch" that the only thing that money goes to is saving face for when the league and players do crap like this. Would any other league look at that contract and be fine with it? 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Even before this trade it was absolutely nuts that this many solid starting QBs were all in the same conference. What's one more? Why the hell not? We need somebody in that division to challenge the Titans anyways. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

Really? Only a 3rd for him? 

He's 36 years old, man.  3rd is pretty good return for a guy his age who hasn't won anything in awhile.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

54 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Instead he's now working with Ohio State to line up NIL money for the athletic department.

https://247sports.com/Article/Urban-Meyer-joins-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-NIL-organization-assisting-athletes-184584848/

The other thing that annoys me are the fans and journalists in Cleveland  that have just grabbed every knife in the kitchen to cut apart Baker. Could he have reacted better? Yeah, he could have. But when you've been told, "We're going with you this year and we'll see how it goes" you expect a team to stick by you.  There are too many fans that said, "We'd never bring in a player like Roethlisberger", that are now happy to go with, "Well he wasn't convicted, so they're all lying, right"?  I also think the league has helped string this whole thing along by not suspending him last year, and the league AND the Browns did not seek input from both sides, which is par for the course for the league.  If the NFL ever decided to be truthful they'd just roll out a big piggy bank and tell people that contribute to "A Crucial Catch" that the only thing that money goes to is saving face for when the league and players do crap like this. Would any other league look at that contract and be fine with it? 

Immaturity carries a lot less baggage than 22 assault allegations. For that reason alone I’d prefer Mayfield over Watson.

• Like 2