NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So do Seattle, Carolina, Atlanta and maybe Detroit and New Orleans go for Malik Willis and Matt Corral tomorrow?  Or do they call Cleveland and ask for Baker Mayfield? 

Yeah, seems like Seattle, Detroit, and New Orleans must have had the intel to know they could stand pat and wait it out (if Willis was a target). I honestly thought Detroit (with the traded-up pick) or New Orleans would pull the trigger, but when they didn’t I had a sense Willis wasn’t getting drafted last night.

To be honest, I’m intrigued a little bit by Houston too. They’ve got Mills, but if Willis falls down to them at 37 (before Seattle, Indy, or Atlanta), would they get tempted into grabbing him? Not saying I’m betting on it by any means, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Otherwise, I can’t see him falling past picks 40-43 (Seattle x2, Indy, Atlanta). At that point I’m guessing Corral and Ridder are right up next, possibly even Howell if a team feels the need to reach up a little.

That leaves Baker Mayfield to Carolina, I think. Possibly Detroit. Seems the rumblings lately have been more Seattle for him, but I’d imagine Willis falling to them would be too tempting to pass up. At that point, I imagine Carolina or Detroit would be making a call to Cleveland. 

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, seems like Seattle, Detroit, and New Orleans must have had the intel to know they could stand pat and wait it out (if Willis was a target). I honestly thought Detroit (with the traded-up pick) or New Orleans would pull the trigger, but when they didn’t I had a sense Willis wasn’t getting drafted last night.

To be honest, I’m intrigued a little bit by Houston too. They’ve got Mills, but if Willis falls down to them at 37 (before Seattle, Indy, or Atlanta), would they get tempted into grabbing him? Not saying I’m betting on it by any means, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Otherwise, I can’t see him falling past picks 40-43 (Seattle x2, Indy, Atlanta). At that point I’m guessing Corral and Ridder are right up next, possibly even Howell if a team feels the need to reach up a little.

That leaves Baker Mayfield to Carolina, I think. Possibly Detroit. Seems the rumblings lately have been more Seattle for him, but I’d imagine Willis falling to them would be too tempting to pass up. At that point, I imagine Carolina or Detroit would be making a call to Cleveland. 

There's also Jimmy G because I can't see Trey Lance starting in 2022 as long as Jimmy G there.  

It will be interesting to see who the teams who did not have a 1st round pick draft.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd say it's likely that they go to Seattle and Carolina. Atlanta is probably betting on being so bad they can pick between Stroud and Young next year. 

I think seeing that they could grab Burns from Arkansas, who is similar in size and would be way less expensive is what got them to move Brown. Brown has had injury problems too, so better to get someone in with less wear and tear and probably a bit more speed at this point too. 

Is there something going on behind the scenes about him? I was surprised he's still on the board. 

Is it me, or did the NFL decide they have to squeeze in every bit of nonsense into the draft this year? I'm fine with having fans and old team players making picks, but that Tony Gonzalez/Austin Ekeler intro for Amazon Prime Thursday nights, at the Raiders home stadium no less, was just annoying. 

Those seem like they are going to be the only two unless a miracle occurs and Spencer Rattler plays like he did in 2020 or someone else emerges that people think he has a shot at being a first round QB.

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I live in Detroit and I can tell you there's absolutely zero talk about Baker Mayfield coming here. I know nationally people look at the situation and think that trade is logical, but around here it's not even a thought. I'd be shocked if he ended up here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is it me, or did the NFL decide they have to squeeze in every bit of nonsense into the draft this year? I'm fine with having fans and old team players making picks, but that Tony Gonzalez/Austin Ekeler intro for Amazon Prime Thursday nights, at the Raiders home stadium no less, was just annoying. 

This might have already been discussed, but to me that seems like such a bad business move for everyone involved. Not the promo but just the TNF deal in general. Amazon comes off looking like the Grinch, stealing games that were previously free, while the NFL is effectively killing the value of TNF for the next deal. Why would anyone pay anything for it when no one (relative to previous) presumably watches it on Prime for the next few seasons? Not to mention, fewer people watching/talking about games is bad for them in many ways.

I can't imagine anyone will pay for Prime to watch the NFL's consensus worst product. Maybe if a given fan's team is playing, they'd sign up for a one month subscription, but no way they're gaining any long term customers at all. So they're basically just flushing tons of money to lose good will.

• Like 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

13 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I live in Detroit and I can tell you there's absolutely zero talk about Baker Mayfield coming here. I know nationally people look at the situation and think that trade is logical, but around here it's not even a thought. I'd be shocked if he ended up here.

I listen to a lot of Charlotte radio and they talk about Baker all the time. Mostly about how everyone doesn't want it to happen. I'm not nearly as off board as they are. I'd prefer bringing Cam back or somehow moving up to grab Willis (preferably both), but Baker is next on my list. It would really depend on what the asking price would be, but I can't imagine it's much. I'd much prefer Baker to Jimmy G and would prefer almost anyone to another year of Darnold.

• Like 3

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

I’m absolutely floored Willis fell that far, but I also think Tennessee is a really good situation for him to be in. Maybe even ideal. He has a good quarterback ahead of him to learn from, a great coach, obviously a great running back, and a team that’s been establishing a culture of success as of late. This may end up being an exceptional pick for the Titans and the perfect place to develop for Willis. I honestly think he has the talent to be another Lamar or Vick.

Ridder is in a good spot too, I think. Bad roster, yes, but he has some similar traits to Mariota and can really learn from him too. I actually think he could be a good starter in the league after needed polishing.

Corral’s an interesting pick for Carolina. There’s definitely durability issues there (Kiper but the risk best when he said “he wants to play like Josh Allen, but doesn’t have the body for it”), but then again, there’s durability issues with Baker should they have traded for him too. I’m wondering if they did try to trade up for Willis but couldn’t get it done, so they struck a deal they could make for next best QB. Corral is very risk/reward.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The reports were that talks between Carolina and Cleveland over the finances of Mayfield's $18.8 million was the reason the trade talks stalled and they moved into the third round to draft Corral.  There's less pressure on all three of them (Ridder, Corral and Willis) now then there were if they were first rounders.  I can see Seattle riding with Drew Lock and Geno Smith for 2022 and become bad enough to where they used their first round pick in 2023 for Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Only 4 QBs picked in the first 3 rounds is ridiculous considering previous years of 4 QBs drafted in the 1st Round alone

That just shows you how comparatively weak this year's QB draft class is compared to recent years. (It also helps that not every media source known to mankind is screaming out of every orifice possible about how absolutely positively unequivocally essential it is that every team MUST have a standout QB--but I'll save that vice for another day.)

On 4/29/2022 at 9:28 AM, BrySmalls said:

I like what the Giants did with their two first round picks. Here's hoping they bear fruition on both sides of the ball.

I like what New York period did with their first two rounds thus far. Two of the biggest personalities in CFB--both DEs, by the way--went to THE perfect place...well, city/market, anyway...to allow them to shine, speaking of Kayvon Thibodeaux and Jermaine Johnson. Those two should have quite the rivalry going for a while--and if they pan out, New York as a whole wins.

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m absolutely floored Willis fell that far, but I also think Tennessee is a really good situation for him to be in. Maybe even ideal. He has a good quarterback ahead of him to learn from, a great coach, obviously a great running back, and a team that’s been establishing a culture of success as of late. This may end up being an exceptional pick for the Titans and the perfect place to develop for Willis. I honestly think he has the talent to be another Lamar or Vick.

I'm actually very intrigued by this pick--but from a different angle. Up to this point Ryan Tannehill really never had any competition for his spot (and remember he was originally signed as a backup, until Marcus Mariota got the hook). I don't know if the Russell Wilson trade rumors did anything to him this offseason, but this pick definitely should. If this doesn't light a fire under him to produce beyond "good enough to not lose", dude is done after this season.

And now back to my QB gripe: 104M for four seasons...of that. I don't dislike Tannehill--he seems to be a pretty good guy--but somewhere between him and Todd Downing, something's gotta wake up. And speaking of Downing, that may be the place where Malik Willis suffers. Downing is not only not creative, but inconsistent and thus predictable--witness Tennessee's quick exit against Cincinnati for empirical proof. But, the one silver lining in all of that is that it took Arthur Smith a season or two for it to "click" as well, and now he a whole head coach. Funny how that happens, isn't it? (And yet somehow two straight Tennessee OCs have been plucked to be HCs elsewhere...funny thangs be goin' on down there in Nashville.)

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Im absolutely floored that there have been 9 Cincinnati Bearcats selected in the draft. More than Ohio State and so far more than Alabama. I believe only Georgia has more players taken.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

Well then...I guess the league had a QB quota to meet at the 11th hour...didn't they?

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Seahawks are going to see if Drew Lock has anything and then get their guy next year. 

As someone who watched his team going all-in on EJ Manuel and waste three years by trying to make a bad QB draft year more than it was, it's a sound strategy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Top three schools drafted

1. Georgia-15

2. LSU-10

3. Cincinnati-9

Im absolutely floored. Usually Cincinnati is lucky to even have one person drafted. This year we had 9 declare for the draft with all 9 taken. More than Alabama, more than Ohio State.

Signature intentionally left blank