NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Top three schools drafted

1. Georgia-15

2. LSU-10

3. Cincinnati-9

Im absolutely floored. Usually Cincinnati is lucky to even have one person drafted. This year we had 9 declare for the draft with all 9 taken. More than Alabama, more than Ohio State.

On the flip side

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Seahawks are going to see if Drew Lock has anything and then get their guy next year. 

As someone who watched his team going all-in on EJ Manuel and waste three years by trying to make a bad QB draft year more than it was, it's a sound strategy.

It's a smart game plan by Pete Carroll, who although is 70, has shown no signs of slowing down.  They can have their choice next year of CJ Stroud or Bryce Young, assuming of course neither of them regress from 2021.  I don't see either of them or even  both of them being terrible in the fall, despite Stroud losing both his wide receivers to the NFL.  

Right now, the race for CJ Stroud and Bryce Young:

Likely Contenders:

• Seattle Seahawks
  • Detroit Lions

Maybes depending on what happens during the season:

• NY Giants
  • Houston Texans
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Philadelphia Eagles
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • New Orleans Saints 
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Indianapolis Colts

I put the Lions as a likely contender, because I don't trust Jared Goff and sooner or later, sometime during the 2022 season, he's going to go back to sucking for a few games forcing the Lions to go with Tim Boyle or David Blough, both of whom are also mediocre QB's.  The list of teams for Stroud and Young could rapidly shrink as the season goes on though.  In order for the list to shrink, Davis Mills, Jalen Hurts, Tua Tagovailoa and Daniel Jones all need to prove that they are the guy.  I think the least likely of the four to step up is Daniel Jones, although who knows, with a new protector on the offensive line in Evan Neal, we'll see if he steps up.  The two most likely to have a breakout season are Hurts and Tua based on the moves their teams made to make them better.  

Tampa is a mystery, because they drafted Kyle Trask last year and sooner or later they need to know if he's the heir apparent to TB12.  But they also brought back first round NFL bust turned backup/journeyman Blaine Gabbert, who was the #2 last year and appeared in blowout games.  If Trask is inactive for all of 2022 as he was in 2021, and TB12 retires again (and this time for good) are they going to go with Gabbert for 2023?

I put Minnesota on the list of maybes because they only have Kurt Cousins signed for two more seasons and the new regime might not be as enamored with Kellen Mond as the old regime apparently was.  

I put Indy on the list of maybes because Matt Ryan is only a short term solution, although a good one and a significant upgrade over Carson Wentz.  He has only missed 3 games in his entire NFL career, which is remarkable.  But what if the Colts win the Super Bowl and he decides it's time to retire?  Then the Colts have to do this all over again.  

New Orleans because Jameis Winston is only signed for two years and the backup of Andy Dalton and Ian Book are not great.  Winston did play well before he got hurt and if he does play well for a full season and lower his turnovers, New Orleans could take themselves out of the running for Stroud and Young.

• Like 2

Another thing, Seattle themselves could take themselves out of the running for Stroud and Young if somehow, Drew Lock plays well enough for them.  Maybe he won't suck as bad for his new team as he has in Denver.  I think Seattle keeps Lock around if he can lead them to 7-8 wins and plays well enough to be at least a Pro Bowl Alternate.  He's only 25 years old.  Since he's a second round pick, I would assume he signed a 4 year deal as a rookie, which means he's entering the final year of that deal.  If he still sucks and they only win 1-3 games, then it didn't work and you draft Stroud or Young.  If I am Seattle it's the route I should take instead of trading for Baker Mayfield.  Mayfield right away would give them 7 to 9 wins.  

• Like 1

Mayfield really needs to do the Trubisky thing. No team trusts him or his :censored:ty attitude and he needs to start from scratch. Maybe even a run in the CFL.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Mayfield really needs to do the Trubisky thing. No team trusts him or his :censored:ty attitude and he needs to start from scratch. Maybe even a run in the CFL.

He's going to have to humble himself and accept being a backup.  Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk thinks Mayfield would be a good fit in Detroit because he would be the type of QB Dan Campbell wants more so than Jared Goff.  While I don't trust Goff, he did play pretty well once Campbell took over play calling on offense.  

Mayfield probably won't even start for the Browns for 6-8 (maybe even 10 games) in 2022 as they signed Jacoby Brissett to start when DeShaun Watson is suspended.  It's probably one of those situations in which both Mayfield and Jimmy G will be the "QB's we get if our guy goes down for an extended period of time" especially if Jimmy G is cleared to play.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:50 PM, GDAWG said:

Tampa is a mystery, because they drafted Kyle Trask last year and sooner or later they need to know if he's the heir apparent to TB12.  But they also brought back first round NFL bust turned backup/journeyman Blaine Gabbert, who was the #2 last year and appeared in blowout games.  If Trask is inactive for all of 2022 as he was in 2021, and TB12 retires again (and this time for good) are they going to go with Gabbert for 2023?

Gabbert is with Tampa and Brady the same reason Jim Sorgi was a career backup with Peyton in Indy.  It's for continuity.

21 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'd agree with the first part, but I'd say his reaction after being told the Browns were going to stay loyal to him before flipping an goign all in on Watson is justified. Should that mean he gets let off the hook for last year? Nope. It does mean I can understand being pissed off that my team supposedly stopped being interested in replacing me, told me I'm their guy, then tossed me off the porch when they found out they could get that guy from before.

17 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Mayfield probably won't even start for the Browns for 6-8 (maybe even 10 games) in 2022 as they signed Jacoby Brissett to start when DeShaun Watson is suspended.  It's probably one of those situations in which both Mayfield and Jimmy G will be the "QB's we get if our guy goes down for an extended period of time" especially if Jimmy G is cleared to play.

I do wonder if the NFL will even bother suspending Watson, since the cases have all been pushed until March 2023. If you suspend him this year, then he gets leveled in court, can you suspend him again for those same cases? I don't think you can without the NFLPA threatening the league for that. Since these are all civil cases does the league suspend him all year then just do nothing if that same situation occurs in March?  

On 4/30/2022 at 10:39 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

People really need to stop giving Steve Sarkisian money.

I'd blame last year on Tom Herman more than Sarkisian, those two starters were inherited at QB and apparently the seniors were not listening to anything that was being taught. That's a sense of entitlement that is ingrained into that program and they have no reason to be that way. They haven't won anything of importance since 2005. 

On 4/30/2022 at 10:50 PM, GDAWG said:

It's a smart game plan by Pete Carroll, who although is 70, has shown no signs of slowing down.  They can have their choice next year of CJ Stroud or Bryce Young, assuming of course neither of them regress from 2021.  I don't see either of them or even  both of them being terrible in the fall, despite Stroud losing both his wide receivers to the NFL.  

Right now, the race for CJ Stroud and Bryce Young:

Likely Contenders:

• Seattle Seahawks
  • Detroit Lions

Maybes depending on what happens during the season:

• NY Giants
  • Houston Texans
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Philadelphia Eagles
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • New Orleans Saints 
  • Minnesota Vikings
  • Indianapolis Colts

Judging by what Baltimore is doing to sink Lamar Jackson next season I'd add them to the Maybe list too. There's still decent WR's out there, but right now after the draft they have a total of three on their roster, not counting undrafted free agents. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I wonder where Baker Mayfield fits in the pantheon of "guys featured in major national ad campaigns who go on to blow it."

Baker had Peyton Manning-levels of commercial exposure, moreso than Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and even stalwart Russell Wilson.

It feels like most faces of national ad campaigns have to prove it more than Baker did. Whoops.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I wonder where Baker Mayfield fits in the pantheon of "guys featured in major national ad campaigns who go on to blow it."

Baker had Peyton Manning-levels of commercial exposure, moreso than Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and even stalwart Russell Wilson.

It feels like most faces of national ad campaigns have to prove it more than Baker did. Whoops.

I remember Dan vs Dave, that was pretty bad. There's always someone that's expected to light up the world that gets a lot of press and then they flame out. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I remember Dan vs Dave, that was pretty bad. There's always someone that's expected to light up the world that gets a lot of press and then they flame out.

That's a great pull! And yeah, probably the biggest flame-out.

Dan vs. Dave was HUGE.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:27 PM, DEAD! said:

On the flip side

There's something truly magical about how the entirety of the football world can come together to dunk on Texas.

• Like 6

On 5/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Judging by what Baltimore is doing to sink Lamar Jackson next season I'd add them to the Maybe list too. There's still decent WR's out there, but right now after the draft they have a total of three on their roster, not counting undrafted free agents. 

Every single Ravens front office member loses their job if Lamar doesn't resign.  Everyone in the organization loves him and has nothing but positive things to say about him (and more than the usual pandering stuff for the media).  Harbaugh and DeCosta love him but - and this is key - most importantly, Steve Bisciotti loves him.  He will be pissed if Lamar leaves.  The idea that we are sinking him or somehow don't want him to resign (or even the idea that long term it would be best for us if he doesn't resign) is ridiculous.  Especially since we just invested a gosh darned first round pick on a center to protect him for the foreseeable future.  The Cardinals offered a first round pick for Hollywood Brown.  I don't care what your receiver room looks like, when someone is dumb enough to do that, you can't shake hands fast enough.  

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 5/2/2022 at 1:46 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Having had quite a bit of interaction with Russell Wilson when I lived in Seattle, the dude has the personality of a wood plank. It doesn't shock me at all that he has very little on-camera exposure outside of football.

• Like 3

jNTsTyQ.png

12 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

Every single Ravens front office member loses their job if Lamar doesn't resign.  Everyone in the organization loves him and has nothing but positive things to say about him (and more than the usual pandering stuff for the media).  Harbaugh and DeCosta love him but - and this is key - most importantly, Steve Bisciotti loves him.  He will be pissed if Lamar leaves.  The idea that we are sinking him or somehow don't want him to resign (or even the idea that long term it would be best for us if he doesn't resign) is ridiculous.  Especially since we just invested a gosh darned first round pick on a center to protect him for the foreseeable future.  The Cardinals offered a first round pick for Hollywood Brown.  I don't care what your receiver room looks like, when someone is dumb enough to do that, you can't shake hands fast enough.  

Lamar is his own agent and doesn't care to negotiate.  That's a problem for the team, because they have no way to make a deal if Lamar won't talk.

Hollywood ASKED to be traded, because he doesn't like the offense. That, too, is a problem. 

It's where I sit.

Having little to no receiving core is also going to keep hurting the Ravens. They currently have Mark Andrews and that's pretty much it. Everyone knows they're going to just run the ball most of the time, so I guess offensive line help is the best you can do with that kind of offense in place. They aren't making it far in the playoffs doing that though.

• Like 1