NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

On 6/6/2022 at 1:43 PM, Red Wolf said:

As a Broncos fan from Arkansas, I feel as though I also own the Broncos now. We're all in this together.

Weird that a single family from Arkansas owns just about* every single pro sports team in Colorado.

Edited by TalktoChuck
Completely forgot about the Rockies for a second.

jNTsTyQ.png

10 hours ago, Crabcake said:

I know all of the Browns’ failures over the last *checks watch* 23 years should make them a sympathetic figure, but handing a dude with a, shall we say, checkered past over 200 million smackaroos in guaranteed money basically takes any goodwill they had and burns it to a crisp. They alienated the first not-garbage QB they had in literally 2 decades for this. They deserve every bit of pain that’s coming their way over the next year plus. 

For all their ineptitude.... I would feel better if I was  a Lions fan right now.

• Like 3

I saw, I came, I left.

14 hours ago, Crabcake said:

I know all of the Browns’ failures over the last *checks watch* 23 years should make them a sympathetic figure, but handing a dude with a, shall we say, checkered past over 200 million smackaroos in guaranteed money basically takes any goodwill they had and burns it to a crisp. They alienated the first not-garbage QB they had in literally 2 decades for this. They deserve every bit of pain that’s coming their way over the next year plus. 

I realize we're talking about the Browns here, but there has to be some undisclosed out clause in that contract in the event his legal troubles keep him from playing, right? I mean, couldn't "guaranteed" come with the presumption that it's only guaranteed if he can play?  I suppose if such a thing existed it would be newsworthy and would've leaked by now.

I'm all for taking big swings in life, and I'm sure the Browns were aiming for that, but this whole thing seems like next-level dumb. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Crabcake said:

I'm guessing that the Texans didn't let the Browns know about all those NDA's, but even so they should have been pressing to get as much info as possible before signing off on even doing the trade, let alone handing him guaranteed cash. I'd think there's a chance that there's language in there that could void the contract, but even then I'm sure the Browns would mess this up.  So are we in a race to see which team has to sell now? Browns, Texans, or Commanders? Will the league actually sit Watson now or are we expecting that he'll even be allowed at mandatory OTA's by the league? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I realize we're talking about the Browns here, but there has to be some undisclosed out clause in that contract in the event his legal troubles keep him from playing, right? I mean, couldn't "guaranteed" come with the presumption that it's only guaranteed if he can play?  I suppose if such a thing existed it would be newsworthy and would've leaked by now.

I'm all for taking big swings in life, and I'm sure the Browns were aiming for that, but this whole thing seems like next-level dumb. 

If the Texans gave the impression that these suits were solved, and didn't mention that these women signed NDA's, would "lying in absentia or by omission" be in force here? Would the league possibly void the rest of the deal as well? I doubt the NFL would step in and do that though. This friggin stinks! At least the Browns have the ability to use a RB by committee this year because that's probably what they'll have to do.

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

If the Texans gave the impression that these suits were solved, and didn't mention that these women signed NDA's, would "lying in absentia or by omission" be in force here? Would the league possibly void the rest of the deal as well? I doubt the NFL would step in and do that though. This friggin stinks! At least the Browns have the ability to use a RB by committee this year because that's probably what they'll have to do.

These are good questions.

The whole thing is still vexing, though. Even if the Browns were misled by the Texans, any reasonable organization would just take the "if there's smoke, there's fire" rationale and see that the risks likely outweigh the benefits. I get that the guy's a talent, but he's a talent who had to take a year off because of accusations that lead to clear questions of character. Players have been sidelined for far less. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Yea, nothing but the signing bonus is truely guaranteed. There are plenty of examples like Antonio brown not getting their guaranteed money because they broke the contract terms.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dont care said:

Yea, nothing but the signing bonus is truely guaranteed. There are plenty of examples like Antonio brown not getting their guaranteed money because they broke the contract terms.

This ENTIRE CONTRACT  is guaranteed.  It's why the other owners are upset -- unwritten rulethat you don't do that.

There is apparently an amendment to it where presumably Watson told all as a way to clear up the legal issues. If he wasn't totally truthful, that's where Cleveland would have a chance to get it voided. 

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

6 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

This ENTIRE CONTRACT  is guaranteed.  It's why the other owners are upset -- unwritten rulethat you don't do that.

There is apparently an amendment to it where presumably Watson told all as a way to clear up the legal issues. If he wasn't totally truthful, that's where Cleveland would have a chance to get it voided. 

Not all of it is truely guaranteed, guaranteed just means if the team cuts you you still get paid “X” amount. If you void the contract throught you actions you don’t get the “guaranteed” money, as evident by Antonio brown not getting his money after getting cut by the patriots after the sexual harassment stuff started coming out this voiding it, I believe same thing happened with him and the raiders.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 6:18 AM, DEAD! said:

For all their ineptitude.... I would feel better if I was  a Lions fan right now.

Yeah, the Lions have a head coach that the players like, and good young talent on both lines, at wideout, at tight end, and at running back, at the absolute minimum. If my fellow OSU alum Okudah can stop tearing things and start playing like a first-round pick, this team could be a playoff contender. 

The Browns, on the other hand, have a respectable QB whom they have alienated and will have to trade if they can ever find a taker; a very good RB room; a talented but injury-prone OL; a promising but often frustrating TE; one proven WR; two stud pass-rushing DEs; one very good CB; and a mega-talented but shady QB who will, at the absolute best, cause distraction through controversy, and who may well be suspended. 

Head coaches are a push. Stefanski has done more thus far, but I feel like Campbell has a brighter future. 

Yeah, I’d also take the Lions. 

• Like 3

The issue the Lions have right now is their QB is Jared Goff and we all suspect that he will come crashing down to Earth big time sometime in 2022 after playing really well in his last five starts.  His backups are awful too.  Why is Tim Boyle still in the league?  His numbers in college were terrible yet he still gets chances.  David Blough is also quite mediocre.  Mike Florio says that the Lions would be a good fit for Baker Mayfield because his personality meshes well with Dan Campbell.    

So what do the Browns do then if Watson does not get to see and take the field? I don't think they can get the Panthers to take Mayfield off of them. The Panthers getting Mayfield is not a good idea. Cleveland needs to do something about the QB situation pending Watson's case.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 4:52 PM, GDAWG said:

At one point Jay Z did own a part of the Nets.

Are you sure about this? I feel like he would have mentioned it at one point if so.

Anyway, Watson's contract with the Browns should be voided after all this. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, gothedistance said:

So what do the Browns do then if Watson does not get to see and take the field? I don't think they can get the Panthers to take Mayfield off of them. The Panthers getting Mayfield is not a good idea. Cleveland needs to do something about the QB situation pending Watson's case.

Trade mayfield for darnold, and then throwaway season for next year, or the year after

14 hours ago, gothedistance said:

Don't they have Jacoby Brissett?

10 hours ago, EskimoAldus said:

Easiest prediction for 2022:

AFC NORTH

4. Cleveland 

Not neccessarily. If the NFL continues to be the morally corrupt organization we know, and Watson does play, I think they are better than Pittburgh, at least.