College Football 2022

MJWalker45

That ending hurts. Ruggles has been great all year, so missing that so badly just hurts. Great comeback by Georgia, but I knew Ohio State was in trouble once Harrison got knocked out. The first two RBs, WR1&2 out and still almost beat the defending national champs. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The worst thing in sports is having hope when you weren't even expecting to have a chance. Going in, I honestly thought the Buckeyes would lose by ten or more. All I was hoping for was to not be embarrassed. Oh well, no shame in losing by one to the defending national champions, but I could have done without the gut-wrenching part. 😎

BB52Big.jpg

This has been an amazing season of college football. Multiple weeks felt like all-timers for nonsense. 2007 is lauded as the standard-bearer of wacky football, but it didn't stick the landing. We went into the final week of 07 with Mizzou vs. West Virginia as a potential title game, and ended with LSU vs. Ohio State.

This year, TCU is playing for the national championship. 2022 has been a special season. It's rare that the most exciting team in any sport comes this close to a title. I feel like this is the sort of thing I'll tell my hypothetical kids about the weirdness of my time like my dad telling me that Jacksonville once made a Final Four.

Just now, infrared41 said:

The worst thing in sports is having hope when you weren't even expecting to have a chance. Going in, I honestly thought the Buckeyes would lose by ten or more. All I was hoping for was to not be embarrassed. Oh well, no shame in losing by one to the defending national champions, but I could have done without the gut-wrenching part. 😎

The worst thing is apathy. False hope is a very close second though.

I think it's fun to point out that Georgia's toughest opponents this year were outside the South. Mizzou, Kentucky, Kent St, and Ohio St gave the Bulldogs their toughest tests. It probably means nothing, but it's neat.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

This has been an amazing season of college football. Multiple weeks felt like all-timers for nonsense. 2007 is lauded as the standard-bearer of wacky football, but it didn't stick the landing. 

This year, TCU is playing for the national championship. 2022 has been a special season. It's rare that the most exciting team in any sport comes this close to a title.

Agreed 100%. This is the same feeling I had when Saint Peter's reached the Elite Eight earlier this year. Regardless of how the title game ends, this is going down in footnote history forever🥳

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

4 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

One of these days, Georgia's going to have to beat an Alabama or an Ohio State in a game where they don't end up losing their best receiver (or two) to injury during the course of the game, but today - still - wasn't that day.

Come off it. Georgia beat Alabama last year with its last three touchdowns via freshmen. Maybe Alabama should have built depth and developed their receivers mid season instead of relying on Jameson Williams and John Metchie almost exclusively. Georgia beat the Heisman winner Bryce Young with a former walk on QB. This year it replaced 15 players it lost to the draft and is returning to the title game with a chance to go back to back. Maybe you should simply give credit for the program Kirby Smart has built at Georgia. You’re absolutely selling it short.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:58 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I know a bunch of Big Ten fans will happy to see him go if it happens, since he dragged his feet in getting football back on the schedule in 2020. I think whomever comes in will have to be a mix of him and Jim Delaney if they want to stay in front of the other leagues money-wise. 

The hatred of Kevin Warren from most Big Ten fans is pretty ridiculous to me — schools like Indiana or Minnesota who’d be irrelevant in the conference realignment carousel (see like, Kansas) are now gonna make like, a gazillion dollars because of moves and TV contracts he’s signed. He’s solidified the league as the clear No. 2 conference in college athletics financially and has provided a lot of stability to a bunch of schools that wouldn’t have it if they were in the ACC, Big 12 or Pac-12.

Fun fact: The ACC has won more football national championships since 2013 (3) than the Big Ten has since 1971 (2.5). I’d actually be really interested in a documentary or long form on the mythology of the Big Ten / how they’ve leveraged what’s mostly the Ohio State brand into this power position.

• Like 4

6fQjS3M.png

22 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

Fun fact: The ACC has won more football national championships since 2013 (3) than the Big Ten has since 1971 (2.5). I’d actually be really interested in a documentary or long form on the mythology of the Big Ten / how they’ve leveraged what’s mostly the Ohio State brand into this power position.

That is a fun fact! Then there's also Penn State and Nebraska winning titles in that timeframe before joining the Big Ten, only to become shadows of their former selves after joining. Will be interesting to see if USC follows this trend.

Anyway, go TCU. Give this season the fun ending it deserves.

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

I usually break this out by the time the B1G's 0-for-Elite 8 but after last night with TCU it felt fitting

FlWT0RVWIAEoVUH?format=jpg&name=medium

But seriously, B1G has had 1 football national title since the 2nd term of the GWB administration, 0 men's basketball titles since the Clinton administration ended, 0 women's basketball titles this millennium, 1 softball championship, 1 College World Series appearance since the 80s, and completely dismantled NCAA Men's Hockey just to come up with 0 national champions while the conferences they broke apart have racked up 5 since then. Outside of them starting their lacrosse conferences which helped bring in a lot of spending not only from the non-Maryland B1G schools but also across the board in the sport, I don't wanna hear anything else about the B1G despite them making a ton of money until they actually do something.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

The hatred of Kevin Warren from most Big Ten fans is pretty ridiculous to me — schools like Indiana or Minnesota who’d be irrelevant in the conference realignment carousel (see like, Kansas) are now gonna make like, a gazillion dollars because of moves and TV contracts he’s signed. He’s solidified the league as the clear No. 2 conference in college athletics financially and has provided a lot of stability to a bunch of schools that wouldn’t have it if they were in the ACC, Big 12 or Pac-12.

Most of it was from 2020 when Nebraska, which is a basket case of a program now, were threatening to join the Big XII for football that year. They thought they'd come into the Big Ten and just keep on beating up teams like they did in the Big XII. Ohio State fans were just as horrible when he pulled the plug originally. Half the parents showing up at his office helped get the season back, but those people still haven't forgiven him. That's even after he had to break the 6 game rule to put Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Why is that?

All the rigging that they have been doing for years for bigger teams would bite them back on the ass when specifically a lower team goes to win it all... irrelevant now that the playoffs are expanding but imagine if they didn't... they would be embarrased.

• Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1