College Football 2022

MJWalker45

4 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

Yeah, that should NEVER happen in a National Championship game. 

Alabama/Georgia would probably have been the best possible game. At least after that OSU comeback.

• Yawn 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

Tonight really emphasizes the :censored:tiest part of college football. These smaller teams almost never make a big run, and when they do, the result always seems to be something like this. It’s not just that they lose, it’s that they’re completely dominated to the point where everyone asks why they’re even in the game to begin with. That’s pretty damn demoralizing, and I can’t really think of another sport that has a similar issue. 

I used to not like the NCAA tournament (still don’t, really), but the reason was because it was always the same few teams winning, despite all of the early distractions from smaller schools winning games. Stuff like tonight changes my tune on that somewhat. Might as well find a way to weed out teams like this earlier on, rather than on your biggest stage. It’s just a really bad look for everyone involved. 

For the most part, I agree with this. 

But I think the biggest distinction between football and March Madness is that at least in basketball, those smaller, unheralded schools come in believing they have a chance. And so do their fans, which is what makes the experience so worthwhile. Every now and then, a school like Butler squeaks through and damn near steals the title.  It's far more plausible in basketball than it will ever be in football. 

Having a playoff system is an improvement in college football, at least. A larger playoff field would at least put to rest the justified complaints of undefeated mid-level conference teams that they didn't get a chance at the title. It could also win back more casual fans, because the way it is now, it seems as if fewer than 10 schools have a legitimate chance of winning a title. How much joy can you get from a sport in which your favorite team's peak would be winning the Chunky Stew Toledo Bowl, or something similar.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Makes me wonder what would’ve happened with a Tulane-Georgia matchup

spacer.png

Probably a better result than USC vs Georgia. Tulane at least tries to tackle opponents. 

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Having a playoff system is an improvement in college football, at least. A larger playoff field would at least put to rest the justified complaints of undefeated mid-level conference teams that they didn't get a chance at the title. 

This right here. If Tulane gets blown out in a quarterfinal game, people will overlook it because they aren't expected to be able to beat a Pac-12 team. But if that USC game had happened as part of a playoff, how many people would stand up and say this proves the point of having a playoff instead of a 4 team invitational? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Probably a better result than USC vs Georgia. Tulane at least tries to tackle opponents. 

This right here. If Tulane gets blown out in a quarterfinal game, people will overlook it because they aren't expected to be able to beat a Pac-12 team. But if that USC game had happened as part of a playoff, how many people would stand up and say this proves the point of having a playoff instead of a 4 team invitational? 

G5 teams would have access and I think that is the only argument that needs to be fought now. One token team in from G5 (let's be honest, all G5 champs are in) is not a bad start, but some more G5 teams that are better than the overrated preseason #10-25 need to have access as well.  #MACTION 

3 minutes ago, walkerws said:

G5 teams would have access and I think that is the only argument that needs to be fought now. One token team in from G5 (let's be honest, all G5 champs are in) is not a bad start, but some more G5 teams that are better than the overrated preseason #10-25 need to have access as well.  #MACTION 

Unfortunately, unless they go 11-1 or 12-0 with a win over a mid-table P5 team, I think it's going to take time for that to happen. But if the G5 conferences each have a 13-0 champ that's two of them in the playoffs if they apply more weight to championship games. 

• Sad 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Unfortunately, unless they go 11-1 or 12-0 with a win over a mid-table P5 team, I think it's going to take time for that to happen. But if the G5 conferences each have a 13-0 champ that's two of them in the playoffs if they apply more weight to championship games. 

Just think, if they had done the 1A playoffs at the same time they did 1AA, the extra bowls would have gone away already

5 minutes ago, walkerws said:

Just think, if they had done the 1A playoffs at the same time they did 1AA, the extra bowls would have gone away already

If you can't even be bothered to paint the field, why do you have a bowl game? Boise and Myrtle Beach, looking at you guys. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Too much of the top talent is spread in too few places. Take guys like Bryce Young and Brock Bowers - they're California kids who went to the SEC, which never used to happen. Up until 25ish years ago players tended to stay closer to home. Guys from the south tended to stay in the south, guys from out west stayed out west, guys from the midwest went to OSU, Michigan, or Notre Dame. Now it's quite regular to see guys from all over the country signing with SEC programs and occasionally OSU gets a florida kid to come North. An expanded playoff with more paths to winning might solve the parity issue because the SEC won't be the only way to win a National Title, but it would effectively end college football as we know it. I'm on the fence. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

What if college football teams had smaller rosters?

I did a search on NCAA roster size and all of the AI articles that popped up weren't helpful (36? 63? 85? 102?).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

What if college football teams had smaller rosters?

I did a search on NCAA roster size and all of the AI articles that popped up weren't helpful (36? 63? 85? 102?).

The scholarship limit is 85.  Beyond that is walk-ons where you may have the occasional special teams contributor, long snappers, sometimes kickers and punters.

Regarding this game, its not at all surprising. I watched TCU a handful of times this year and each time my impression was that they were a fine team but not good enough to be in the national conversation if they didn't play in a mediocre conference.

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

https://nypost.com/2023/01/10/chris-russos-major-problem-with-stetson-bennett-winning-title-at-25/

So apparently it's not fair that Stetson Bennett can play college ball at 25? Hahahahahahaha!!!!! This sound more like sour grapes than an actual argument. It's also Chris Russo so take it with a pound of salt. 

21 hours ago, See Red said:

The scholarship limit is 85.  Beyond that is walk-ons where you may have the occasional special teams contributor, long snappers, sometimes kickers and punters.

Regarding this game, its not at all surprising. I watched TCU a handful of times this year and each time my impression was that they were a fine team but not good enough to be in the national conversation if they didn't play in a mediocre conference.

I think if the NCAA actually cared about limits they would have lowered it. With NIL now, depending on how deep the pockets of the boosters are you can have "walk ons" come in that don't count towards your 25 scholarships per year and they will be happy to take the check to be second stringers at SEC and Big Ten schools over starters in the MAC. 

21 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Good for Stetson Bennett to end his playing career with a national championship, unless of course he becomes Brock Purdy at the next level.   

At least if he's a bust in the NFL there are a couple more options for him to keep playing. I hope to see the XFL/USFL leagues help 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png