NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm guessing it means a red shell, rather than the design itself. 

Yes this policy change by the NFL is to allow for a different color shell to be designated to one specific option which appears to be either alt, throwback or color rush. The wording strongly hints that the alternate helmet cannot be paired with the primary dark or light.

Even when only one shell was the only option teams were allowed and did change up decals and facemasks and can still do so. Changing the look by changing the decals and or facemask is not considered a new helmet by the league since it uses the same shell.

Jets used same white shell but changed facemask and decals for previous color rush

Cardinals and Broncos changed the decals for their color rush

Browns changed decals and facemask for their anniversary throwbacks

Bears and Bills changed decals and at times facemask for their throwbacks.

Dolphins changed decals and facemask for their throwbacks

Giants changed decals and facemask for their color rush

Packers and Lions remove decals for their throwback

Chiefs change facemasks to grey and call it a throwback 😉

You all get the point. If it is the same shell as the normal even if they change the look by altering the decals and/or facemask it isn't considered an alternate helmet. Alternate look, yes but not alternate helmet.

Teams may try to work around the alternate helmet being only for alt, throwback or color rush by creating a "mono" look and labeling it as color rush.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Cardinals don't change their decals for their color rush

From team's official guides...

GVr1TqB.png

May not be that noticeable since color and design are same but they utilize a metallic red on the decal for the color rush and not the standard red.

• Like 2

When the Cardinals first debuted Color Rush they wore all white and had an chrome style helmet logo. This helmet logo was never seen again after one game against the 49ers. and nobody really noticed it which is odd cause it was very noticeable to me especially since the game was at night and the intended effect sucked and made the logo look bad.

Also, those black 49ers uniforms were god awful.

rawImage.jpg

sjm-49ers-1007-29.jpg

After that they seemed to switch to a metallic type of finish on the red part of the logo only. It's kinda hard to tell at times and isn't as obvious as the logo they used in 2016.

1184747207.jpeg

• Like 2

bSLCtu2.png

21 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Don't know if this is official, but it certainly looks like the Rams have switched to the white jersey as their road one based on media day.

Let's hope so, the bone is so bad. 

The white jerseys with yellow pants are gorgeous and the blue jersey has really grown on me, even the gradient numbers! I prefer the yellow pants with the blue jerseys but even the blue pants look good too. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

Media day is such a curious indicator for these mix and match type teams. Last year, the Rams media day looks were all-blue and all-bone color rush. They proceeded to wear both uniforms only one time apiece during that season, though they at least correctly indicated what the home and away jerseys were. God forbid they’re actually still too stubborn to commit to full-chestedly admitting to their bone boner, and they simply want to showcase what they wore when they won the Super Bowl (since, you know, they designated them as their “official” away look for the playoffs to quietly admit to said boner).

In general Im starting to feel like the Rams have intended from the start for their looks to be fluid from year to year, like with their progressively unveiling new alts and playing coy with their regular season combos (i.e. inexplicably swearing by the blue over bone last year). Maybe they’ll wear blue pants more this year, maybe they’ll lean more into their actually good looks that got them through the playoffs last year. 

Another interesting media day was the 2020 Jags, who wore teal over black for the occasion despite their “official” primary being all-black. They then went on to wear the “official” look only twice during the regular season before announcing the teal primary at the earliest convenience the next offseason. Part of me wonders if they already knew they were making the switch at that time but had to wait a year due to some rule that we don’t see.

The same rule could be a roadblock for the Rams trying to switch designations this season, *unless* they already knew about and filed for the switch a year ago when the whites were revealed, and they just had to suffer through one more year of bone while at least being allowed to designate the new aways for the playoffs. We’ll probably know more around mid-July when their next alt drops.

Oh, and the Panthers always do their media day in blue jerseys, which consistently means nothing.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, plobrien said:

Let's hope so, the bone is so bad. 

The white jerseys with yellow pants are gorgeous and the blue jersey has really grown on me, even the gradient numbers! I prefer the yellow pants with the blue jerseys but even the blue pants look good too. 

Let's hope not! Using Bone in lieu of plain old white jerseys was the best design innovation to happen to nfl uniforms in the super bowl era. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • WOAH 1
  • Hurl 8
  • Huh? 4
  • Dislike 3

41 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Let's hope not! Using Bone in lieu of plain old white jerseys was the best design innovation to happen to nfl uniforms in the super bowl era. 

I'm actually a big proponent of using off-white, but I want it to be cream, not the gross gray that bone is. My dream team to do this would be the Browns.

• Like 5
  • Meh 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

10 hours ago, CDCLT said:

I'm actually a big proponent of using off-white, but I want it to be cream, not the gross gray that bone is. My dream team to do this would be the Browns.

Bone probably would have gone over better for a team that uses silver like the Lions... I'd actually like to see the Bears in cream.  Browns would pull it off well too though.

• Like 4

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

9 hours ago, Discrim said:

Bone probably would have gone over better for a team that uses silver like the Lions... I'd actually like to see the Bears in cream.  Browns would pull it off well too though.

This is a good point. 

The drabness of the bone color on its own wasn't the biggest problem. It was pairing it with two excessively vibrant shades of blue and yellow. That jarring contrast is what makes it so visually offensive. 

I'd think that if it were used with teams that have darker primary colors, as you and others suggest, the complaints wouldn't be so loud or justified. The Bears and Browns would be perfect examples of that. 

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Teams don’t seem to put too much thought into Media Day. The Titans still use navy over white, which they have yet to wear more than once a season or in their home stadium.

Which oddly enough might be their strongest overall home look,  all things considered. It should be the columbia pants, but all that gray up top and barely any columbia aside from the  pit stains really jars things up.

(I continue to be frustrated by how good the Snatit could look, and I've tried the past four years to find something to like about this current set, but...it ain't hap'nin...)

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This is a good point. 

The drabness of the bone color on its own wasn't the biggest problem. It was pairing it with two excessively vibrant shades of blue and yellow. That jarring contrast is what makes it so visually offensive

I'd think that if it were used with teams that have darker primary colors, as you and others suggest, the complaints wouldn't be so loud or justified. The Bears and Browns would be perfect examples of that. 

I don't disagree with you, but to me the most jarring contrast is when compared to the white Los Angeles name tag. That really is jarring to me, because my brain wants to look at the uniform and process it as white, but that glaring bit of white won't let me.

It's akin to watching a football game at Boise St or a basketball game on a grey court in Brooklyn (making it look like the TV is black and white). It messes with my mental image of what I am watching.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

5 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't disagree with you, but to me the most jarring contrast is when compared to the white Los Angeles name tag. That really is jarring to me, because my brain wants to look at the uniform and process it as white, but that glaring bit of white won't let me.

It's akin to watching a football game at Boise St or a basketball game on a grey court in Brooklyn (making it look like the TV is black and white). It messes with my mental image of what I am watching.

Yeah, they really doubled-down on the strange color pairings, didn't they? The white name tag looks like a mistake. This is gonna sound weird, but it reminded me of an old picture I saw of myself recently where I was wearing a light khaki shirt with white/cream-colored pants.  Those two colors looked really wrong alongside each other. 

Now, enough about my personal fashion choices ... 🤣

• LOL 2

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This is a good point. 

The drabness of the bone color on its own wasn't the biggest problem. It was pairing it with two excessively vibrant shades of blue and yellow. That jarring contrast is what makes it so visually offensive. 

Including white elements on the bone jersey is probably the most egregious part of the uniform. Bone/cream/off-white can work if it is used as a replacement for white. This St. Louis Blues jersey is proof that the colour combo can work if executed correctly:

spacer.png

• Like 9

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Yeah, they really doubled-down on the strange color pairings, didn't they? The white name tag looks like a mistake. This is gonna sound weird, but it reminded me of an old picture I saw of myself recently where I was wearing a light khaki shirt with white/cream-colored pants.  Those two colors looked really wrong alongside each other. 

Now, enough about my personal fashion choices ... 🤣

For the bonus...was this on a field trip where the teacher stuck a Hello My Name Is sticker on you? 😂

• Like 3

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬