NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

4 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

What parts are salvageable? We can all agree that the helmet and primary jersey color can stay in the garbage. Is it the contrasting sleeve caps? Nope, those have been ugly and contoured the players' forms unflatteringly every time they've been used, college and pro. Leave those in 2010 where they belong. Perhaps the free-floating gold neck spikes? Nope, gold bound only by teal is super tacky, hence why the gold accents was always accompanied by or bordered with black on the originals. It couldn't be the shiny vinyl shoulder appliques that were meant to imply "claw scratches" or who the :censored: knows? Of course not, those were secretly a top five ugliest uni element ever conceived.  And I won't even open discussion on those chunky parallelogram pants. 

What does that leave us with? Looks like the numbers, which I did think were pretty alright for what they were (even though they infernally made them black on the teal jersey for some reason), though I prefer the current ones, and even moreso the original cool cat font from '97. Take that, add black and gold details on the cuffs, put a crawling cat on the sleeve, stick with the all-black helmet, and put a tri-colored stripe on the pants. Now there's a uniform. Great work by the salvage unit.

Only grilling you because I have so many times over the last ten years seen somebody say "this is salvageable," maybe accompanied by a pic, and nothing else. Nobody has anything good to say about it except "its salvageable" and it drives me insane because when you pick it apart piece by piece, not a single thing holds up.

I didn't mind the helmet. I liked the color sleeve caps. It broke up the colors nicely. And black numbers on teal looks sick. Not all numbers need to be white. Black contrasts well with teal. Any team that can minimize white is a win for me. But yes the uniforms were salvageable 

here are some examples of edits

ikpbs9uKN2aGDEv4Ljy1w7kissE4fJHcP5yE-RKy

39623480275_b569014b39_o.jpg

JesseAlkire_JacksonvilleJaguars.jpg?form

• Like 3
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, VikWings said:

All the Jags need are number outlines (black or gold, either works) and a pants stripe and they have a great look.

Tom Coughlin and Co just went waaayyyy too conservative after the two tone helmet debacle. (And cause Coughlin wanted them to bascially be the Teal/Black Giants.)

no having outlines is still too basic. The numbers are painfully generic. I will always defend these uniforms 

870582862-cincinnati-bengals-v-jacksonviI literally don't see what was so bad about these. They look really cool and sleek. The only mistake was not making teal the primary. Nike has pumped out really boring uniforms lately. The only good redesigns they've made recently was the Falcons and maybe the Chargers. Everything else is really boring and I hate they dropped having TV numbers. This isn't college (and they decided to allow college number rules which looks ridiculous) 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Two more quick mock-ups for the Jags, one traditional and on akin to the Bengals's recent rebrand.

gkR0PuB.jpeguHHvJmm.jpeg 

the stripes on the pants are inconsistent and they still look generic. If only the Jags had a third prominent color that was unique to break things up more 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

What parts are salvageable?

The color blocking of the 2010's set was the best application of the Jaguars' color scheme since the team was introduced. Plus, having something that leans more to the modern side suits them well. That can be salvaged. The gradient helmet and gratuitous number outline application were by far the worst aspects of the set. Everything else looked pretty solid.

Take the color blocking, color balance, and modern feel of the 2010's set and mix it with the current set, and you've got a winner. That's what I tried with my redesign of the Jags.

Shameless self-plug, logo borrowed from @Htown1141

WF5cSrn.png

• Like 10
  • Applause 7

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

On 10/19/2022 at 10:16 AM, Krona said:

Yes. It was the apex, even if it was the most contemporary NFL thing ever (mid 80s no less!) to make a league wide mascot program. Given todays toy/collector culture, it's amazing they haven't brought the Huddles back, or at least licensed them to Funko or Super 7.

Sounds better than those giant heads with limbs from NFL Rush Zone...and TIL the Raiders actually made the one made for them their actual mascot (fortunately, they've given him an actual body since).

#FreePacky

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

16 hours ago, Bathysphere said:

Nope, gold bound only by teal is super tacky

I respect your strong opinions and even though I'm on team "Jags last set was salvagable" (all they needed was to fix the helmets IMO), I think you make some good points.

That said, this line made me laugh. What is that even based on?

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

I respect your strong opinions and even though I'm on team "Jags last set was salvagable" (all they needed was to fix the helmets IMO), I think you make some good points.

That said, this line made me laugh. What is that even based on?

It’s one of the pillars for my neverending rant on why the Jaguars originals were untouchably perfect, which is that teal, black and gold is a tremendous color scheme, yet also a tremendously volatile one. 

AC5-CB470-0039-46-CA-BF54-65-A5-DBEEFC6-
5-BEEA8-C6-11-F4-42-E1-ADF5-8309-CC3289-

8475-F65-B-5-CF6-433-F-87-FE-500-C5-EA2-
2-A76-CE11-A92-E-40-AB-A09-B-77808-E68-E

Teal and black without support from gold is sterile. Teal and gold without support from black is harsh on the eye. And black and gold without support from teal is the Saints. All three together? Perfect harmony, warm and majestic like a symphony. There’s a solid reason why the only gold on the original jersey that directly makes contact with teal whatsoever is the cuff stripe, which has an equally weighted black stripe holding it down on the other side. It’s like the original uniforms and color scheme were designed alongside and in accord with each other, while each redesign since, they’ve come up with a design, then carelessly fill-bucketed the team colors in as the complexity of the design would allow.

• Like 14
  • Applause 2

I see your point, but don't you think gold should have been the outer outline on numbers and black the inner? That way, gold doesn't touch white, which I think is worse than it touching teal.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Am I one of the outsiders that really liked the Jaguars helmet that was black, but then went teal when the sun hit it?

The big issue I have with their uniforms is that they're boring. And I'm gonna be honest, they need more teal.

• Like 1

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

Am I one of the outsiders that really liked the Jaguars helmet that was black, but then went teal when the sun hit it?

The big issue I have with their uniforms is that they're boring. And I'm gonna be honest, they need more teal.

The teal flecked helmet from the 2009 redesign was absolute genius. Whatever else you want to say about that set (and folks here have said a lot) the flecked helmet idea was genius.

What was especially cool about it was how that shifting color meshed with the overall thesis of that set which was teal at home, black on the road.

ghows-LK-8a451e88-7aa0-4cd0-b30d-53ec78b0-season-FJACJ-2009.jpg

93181692_original.jpg?1281073038
wlqyzm1hr23niysx1v3r.jpg

Great idea in theory. I love it when teams decide they want to have two related but different chromatics for home and away.

I don't think anyone in the NFL pulls that off these days. The Rams did it well when they were splitting time between the white horns with the white jerseys and the gold horns on throwbacks.  Giants come close but points off for doing it with two different pairs of white pants.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

17 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The teal flecked helmet from the 2009 redesign was absolute genius. Whatever else you want to say about that set (and folks here have said a lot) the flecked helmet idea was genius.

What was especially cool about it was how that shifting color meshed with the overall thesis of that set which was teal at home, black on the road.

ghows-LK-8a451e88-7aa0-4cd0-b30d-53ec78b0-season-FJACJ-2009.jpg

93181692_original.jpg?1281073038
wlqyzm1hr23niysx1v3r.jpg

That was the only salvageable part of that particular uniform set...TBH, I keep forgetting it existed until I see photos of it.

Anyway, to the point of the teal-flaked helmet, I really liked that idea, as well. I personally wouldn't mind seeing it come back in the Jaguars' next uniform life (and I'm 99.999999999% positive there will be one). I feel like the only other team that could successfully pull this effect off would be the Ravens--and it'd be even more apropo for then being that actual ravens have iridescent feathers than sheen purplish in the right light. I see the Cardinals trying, but a/ I don't think their alt black helmets have enough flake effect and b/ even if they did, it looks like they ordered those helmets extra glossy with a side of gloss, and all that extra shine just cancels out the effect (and their own logo).

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'd love to see the Ravens do purple flake and all black at home. So weird that the Ravens went years wearing purple jerseys, white pants, and white socks at home. Too bright.

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, DCarp1231 said:

Miami should bring back the hoverline/double outline numbers

spacer.png

If there are any throwback uniforms the Dolphins need to bring back full-time, I'd much rather have these. They just feel more vibrant and lively.

• Like 5

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Some people are going to hate me for saying this, but the Jaguars previous uniforms were a guilty pleasure of mine. 

Jacksonville Jaguars Unveil New Uniforms – SportsLogos.Net News

Unpopular opinion, I know.  But they just seemed so unique compared to everything else in the league. The 2 toned Helmet really stood out, and the numbers were absolutely perfect. Especially the white with the teal numbers & gold outline. The badge was just some different. 

I've always thought their new ones were a downgrade.  So bland & boring.

• Like 4
  • Love 1