2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

First the Lions and now the Canucks.  Would like to know the reasoning behind dropping the stripes on the pants.  Seems like an unnecessary move.  Did the team need to cut some money on the pants budget so the owner could make some political donations for the upcoming civic election?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Hate 1

14 hours ago, Mr. Krabs said:

I wonder how long it will be before the Hurricanes fanbase demands they go back to these full-time and change their road whites accordingly.

The reaction I've seen has been either "go back to these", or "aren't these just our regular jerseys?" I get that very few people care about uniforms the way we do, but it baffles me how little people pay attention to detail.

7 hours ago, M4One said:

First the Lions and now the Canucks.  Would like to know the reasoning behind dropping the stripes on the pants.  Seems like an unnecessary move.  Did the team need to cut some money on the pants budget so the owner could make some political donations for the upcoming civic election?

spacer.png

He might just be wearing the solid blue pants that they use with their alternates. A few days ago Ekman Larsson was seen at practice in the usual pants.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, IceCap said:

This is such a misguided take.

"Never look backwards" is the equivalent of limiting yourself. A team should consider everything. From the current look to the past to potential future designs. Everything should be on the table. Refusing to consider past identities, when they might be the best option, in the name of some self-limiting design ideology is dumb to me.

This is disheartening. It's the end of hockey aesthetics. I'm a Leafs fan. I HATE the Habs.

But their uniform is THE class of the NHL. It's hockey's version of the Pinstripes.

And seeing this is just sad. I hate it.

Yep. Despicable. Our society has finally sold out. I won’t buy a sweater with an ad on it, ever. Screw the NHL for being this greedy. Can’t wait for people to defend it too. I may just check out of sports in general by the time they all start looking like Mexican soccer jerseys. I bet college football is next. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Our society has finally sold out.

That ship sailed a long time ago. 30/32 NHL arenas have naming rights agreements. The boards and ice are plastered with ads. The games are interrupted by commercial breaks.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

10 hours ago, M4One said:

spacer.png

I think these are the pants for the stick in rink alternate they released during the 50th anniversary season. Likely an oversight, (at least I hope). The real question is why there are no pants stripes for that uniform in the first place, but that uniform is a mess regardless.

The one concern I have is why the company wordmark is now perpendicular and on the side instead of above the knee. Hopefully that's just the company branding changing and not indicative of further changes.

2 hours ago, dannykraft said:

Noticed the CBJ wearing red pants with their home uni during the rookie tournament. Wondering if this points toward them having two pairs of pants or just haven't made the change yet.

Iirc they will wear navy pants only with away so home stays with red one.

4r2eer.png

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The reaction I've seen has been either "go back to these", or "aren't these just our regular jerseys?" I get that very few people care about uniforms the way we do, but it baffles me how little people pay attention to detail.

He might just be wearing the solid blue pants that they use with their alternates. A few days ago Ekman Larsson was seen at practice in the usual pants.

My guess he was one of the last guys to show up and hasn't been given the new pants yet.  The manufacturer's mark is down the sides on the new pants, but OEL's is still on the front.  

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I think these are the pants for the stick in rink alternate they released during the 50th anniversary season. Likely an oversight, (at least I hope). The real question is why there are no pants stripes for that uniform in the first place, but that uniform is a mess regardless.

The one concern I have is why the company wordmark is now perpendicular and on the side instead of above the knee. Hopefully that's just the company branding changing and not indicative of further changes.

All of the players, at least those that have been in Vancouver for a while now, have been wearing the stripe less pants, including the two new free agents.  They could be worn with those jerseys, but I also thought they were being dumped this year?   Considering there was no white stripes on the jersey itself, the solid blue pants made more sense.

The prospects have been wearing the solid blue pants, as well.  

2 hours ago, dannykraft said:

Noticed the CBJ wearing red pants with their home uni during the rookie tournament. Wondering if this points toward them having two pairs of pants or just haven't made the change yet.

It's rookie tournament, so there's really no reason to give them two sets of pants.  The Leafs, for whatever reason, wore their practice jerseys for their rookie tournament game against Dallas last night.

11 minutes ago, M4One said:

My guess he was one of the last guys to show up and hasn't been given the new pants yet.  The manufacturer's mark is down the sides on the new pants, but OEL's is still on the front.  

All of the players, at least those that have been in Vancouver for a while now, have been wearing the stripe less pants, including the two new free agents.  They could be worn with those jerseys, but I also thought they were being dumped this year?   The prospects have been wearing the solid blue pants, as well.  

This is the first I’ve heard of that uniform getting dropped. I think it’s more likely that they’ve got a new supply of shells for that uniform in (hence the side manufacturers logo) and they’re putting them to use. I can’t see why the team would just inexplicably drop the pants stripe, but then again it is the Canucks and every time they make a positive uniform improvement they tend to screw up something else.

Maybe they’re the shells for the reverse retros.

23 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

This is the first I’ve heard of that uniform getting dropped. I think it’s more likely that they’ve got a new supply of shells for that uniform in (hence the side manufacturers logo) and they’re putting them to use. I can’t see why the team would just inexplicably drop the pants stripe, but then again it is the Canucks and every time they make a positive uniform improvement they tend to screw up something else.

Maybe they’re the shells for the reverse retros.

I either read about it or heard about it a while ago, but maybe it was also just my imagination.  Quick peek over at the Canucks online store, though, does have them being on sale with a fairly big discount

I thought the leaked retro was navy.

Carolina's throwbacks are fine; they have such a weird history of changes.  They're like Minnesota to me - started out strong and probably regressed with almost every change since.  Based on their constant changes I'm sure they'll switch again soon, but I'm hoping they eventually get to the "two flag" pattern on hems and sleeves:

JQMqBJs.png

j92wGTM.png

8 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

Carolina's throwbacks are fine; they have such a weird history of changes.  They're like Minnesota to me - started out strong and probably regressed with almost every change since.  Based on their constant changes I'm sure they'll switch again soon, but I'm hoping they eventually get to the "two flag" pattern on hems and sleeves:

JQMqBJs.png

j92wGTM.png

No that just looks like too much, like a game of Tetris. You could say the one row is 2 flags if you turn your head sideways.

• Like 5