2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

5 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Yes, I'm very aware of all that, maybe more so than you know.

Also, Reebok did own CCM and the factory in St. Hy during their tenure.

My point for clarification was to ask the OP that if by not owning the factories, that means calling it the "manufacturer logo" is somehow wrong?   I don't see how it's any different than Polo or Gap doesn't own their factories.  

I was specifically thinking about how pretty much every on-field NFL jersey pre-Nike lockdown was made by Ripon Athletic, and the Champion/Wilson/Puma/Reebok/Russell/Starter/LogoAthletic logos sewn on the sleeves were basically the extent of those companies' involvement in the manufacture.

Interesting that Adidas' jerseys are being made by S&P. I think they made jerseys for Nike/Bauer back in the 1990s.

• Hate 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

19 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Very good point. Manufacturers want to sell merchandise, which is why their label on the piece of merch doesn't take away from the visual aesthetics.

Corporations want to make money by turning soccer players and racecars into walking billboards and billboards on wheels.

Manufacturer brands don't put their logos on jerseys to sell merchandise. They would generate revenue from jerseys and team merchandise regardless of whether their own brand appeared on them. It's not about selling clothes; it's about brand exposure and brand association. A Nike logo on the front of NFL, NBA and MLB jerseys is about associating itself with those leagues because the company believes, by doing so, it elevates the stature of its brand. 

So in that sense, they are indeed turning athletes into walking billboards.

The only thing separating the so-called "manufacturer" brand from another paid sponsor is its direct association to the production of the jersey itself. It paid to supply the jersey AND paid to advertise itself on them.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I was specifically thinking about how pretty much every on-field NFL jersey pre-Nike lockdown was made by Ripon Athletic, and the Champion/Wilson/Puma/Reebok/Russell/Starter/LogoAthletic logos sewn on the sleeves were basically the extent of those companies' involvement in the manufacture.

Interesting that Adidas' jerseys are being made by S&P. I think they made jerseys for Nike/Bauer back in the 1990s.

That is true about football and who "made" the jerseys... IMO, contracting the best factory to produce the uniforms doesn't make it any less genuine to call Adidas, Nike or whoever "the manufacturer."  The Adidas and Nikes are still doing all the work on the back end, creating the tech packs, sourcing fabrics and materials etc... They don't just hand the the uniform sketches over and walk away.

SP is the best source, they've been doing it for decades and have all the capabilities.  Adidas is made at the SP factory in St. HY (the old CCM factory) This is where CCM and Reebok came out of also.  Nike and I believe CCM is done at the SP Granby location.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

When (not if) this happens there will be people on this website defending it

That's sort of a ridiculous thing to say. I don't see anybody on here suggesting they're happy about the evolution of advertising on uniforms. There's no open endorsement of the idea. 

There are, however, degrees of scale, and perpetually treating every incursion of an ad onto a uniform as some sign of the apocalypse seems a bit over the top. 

Do I like that the Nike logo appears on jerseys now? No, of course not, but I also don't really think it's that big of a deal. Having a bank's logo on the Canadiens' jersey is several steps worse, of course. But I also feel as if most people — i.e., not people on this message board — don't really give a damn about it. We can sit here and proselytize for aesthetic purity all we want, but it'll never be an argument that's convincing enough for millionaire and billionaire team owners to turn down another revenue opportunity. Most of them got to that position by being good at making money. And for them, there's no such thing as having enough. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

13 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

If Vintage Minnesota Hockey linked below is right, SP has been making U of Minnesota’s Nike/Bauer/Mission/Easton-branded jerseys since the Gophers originally switched from Champion to Nike in 1999.

https://history.vintagemnhockey.com/page/show/893654-u-of-m-uniform-evolution-1922-2014-

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I also feel as if most people — i.e., not people on this message board — don't really give a damn about it.

You really must not be paying attention to the comment sections on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and every other social media platform right now. Even the *normies* who aren't on this board hate every jersey ad unveiled thus far and love the Oilers' choice to go ad-free on their jerseys.

Helmet ads people don't care about. Nobody is going to the team store and buying a helmet to wear on game days. But jerseys? People are much more passionate about those, both on and off these boards.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

You really must not be paying attention to the comment sections on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and every other social media platform right now. Even the *normies* who aren't on this board hate every jersey ad unveiled thus far and love the Oilers' choice to go ad-free on their jerseys.

Helmet ads people don't care about. Nobody is going to the team store and buying a helmet to wear on game days. But jerseys? People are much more passionate about those, both on and off these boards.

These are the same people that think every new jersey needs multiple fire flame balls. 

• Yawn 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

That's a fair point. I'm certainly under-selling the public reaction to the jersey ads, which I'll admit. 

2 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Don't know if it was brought up yet or not...

Big 4 pro sports jerseys and apparel are major sellers, specifically because they have designs that look nice and stand out, specifically to make large merch sales and lots of cash. I don't believe MLS make as many jersey sales as the NHL, MLB, NFL, or NBA. Soccer needs the sponsorship money because their niche audience isn't as large.

Now I see RBC going out of their way to sell Habs jerseys to fans with ads on them, by using the sick kids charity tactic. Companies clearly want to turn the Sainte Flanelle into their own personalized guinea pigs for corporate advertising. Chances are RBC doesn't care about hockey or watch Habs games.

Perhaps if jersey sales with ads plummet, they'll put a stop to their littering on professional sports. If money talks and fans are that revolted, fans need to speak with their wallet.

20+ years on this board and I'm still learning stuff on it all the time. Thanks, @ebod39and @Mingjai.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

These are the same people that think every new jersey needs multiple fire flame balls. 

Those are also the people the league designs jerseys for. They don't design every jersey within the strict guidelines of Sportslogos snobs like you and I, they design them to target the general populace. If hockey fans like stealth jerseys and reversible Maple Leafs alternates, then that's what the league will design. If hockey fans hate jersey ads and they express their dismay, then the league will probably (hopefully) listen to that too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Glover said:

Hurricanes posted some phone wallpaper today on their Twitter, and it contained this.

76ZwNEw.jpg

It's the 25th anniversary of the Whalers moving to NC, so I guess it makes sense to bring back the original jerseys as a throwback.

I can just imagine these selling so well that in a few seasons time they end up going back to them. Tom Dunden doesn't seem to like going a year without some sort of uniform change.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Those are also the people the league designs jerseys for. They don't design every jersey within the strict guidelines of Sportslogos snobs like you and I, they design them to target the general populace. If hockey fans like stealth jerseys and reversible Maple Leafs alternates, then that's what the league will design. If hockey fans hate jersey ads and they express their dismay, then the league will probably (hopefully) listen to that too.

True, but I'm pretty sure the Canadiens knew the ad was never going to be popular, yet they did it anyway. The ads aren't being done because the fans want them. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

50 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Big 4 pro sports jerseys and apparel are major sellers, specifically because they have designs that look nice and stand out, specifically to make large merch sales and lots of cash. I don't believe MLS make as many jersey sales as the NHL, MLB, NFL, or NBA. Soccer needs the sponsorship money because their niche audience isn't as large.

Now I see RBC going out of their way to sell Habs jerseys to fans with ads on them, by using the sick kids charity tactic. Companies clearly want to turn the Sainte Flanelle into their own personalized guinea pigs for corporate advertising. Chances are RBC doesn't care about hockey or watch Habs games.

Perhaps if jersey sales with ads plummet, they'll put a stop to their littering on professional sports. If money talks and fans are that revolted, fans need to speak with their wallet.

A couple things to unpack here. 

1. Ads on soccer jerseys, a phenomenon that dates to late '70s England, came about as a function of the sport's lack of TV ad breaks. The game is played over 90 minutes, with no commercial breaks other than at half time. This was a way for teams to generate advertising revenue they otherwise were missing out on.

2. This has nothing to do with jersey sales. Apparel sales may be a sizable revenue stream for professional sports teams, but they're minor when compared to what teams rake in from corporate sponsorships. The Habs are projected to reap between $5 million and $10 million in revenue per year by selling one square of fabric on the shoulder of their jerseys to a bank. 

Again, this isn't a defense of ads on jerseys. I hate them as much as the next guy, but don't mistake this for being an issue that's only about jerseys and apparel. The only reason more teams aren't doing this is because they haven't found companies willing to pony up the cash. Sullying the jerseys is the least of their concerns. 

• Like 1