2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

There's a lot of value in honoring the teams that came before you in any sport, especially when said team is as enormously important to hockey history as the Metropolitans were. It makes perfect sense for the Kraken to homage the first US team to ever win the Stanley Cup since, you know, they're effectively that team's successor.

The reason the Habs' jersey sucked wasn't because it was barberpole, it was because of how thin the lines were on that jersey which caused strain. The Metropolitans don't have that issue because the lines are much thicker;

spacer.png

And nobody has any qualms with the Ottawa 67's, who use a barberpole design just fine;

spacer.png

Hell, I remember many people on these very boards wanting the Senators to go back to their barberpole look full-time, as well.

Agree with the Senators Blackhawks and other red and black teams, but not with the Metropolitians green and red on a modern template. It just doesn't look good with that template and especially with the white pants that were originally worn. I have the same opinion about the Canucks wearing Millionaires uniforms. It's not a good look.

2 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I knew  the Johnny Canuck Reverse Retro was going to look awesome and so far it's exceeded  my expectations...even in spite of the TD ad and no pants striping which was indeed the case in '62. I just love the contrast between the navy blue and kelly green.  

Canucks had pant stripes in 1962. Blue with red stripes around the opening of the pant leg and up the side. Not easily seen in grainy BW photos. Can't fault them for missing that detail on the RR. Wouldn't work as well with blue and green.

6 hours ago, uniformity said:

Can't fault them for missing that detail on the RR. Wouldn't work as well with blue and green.

I disagree. Sorry. The contrast is much better between navy blue and kelly green. White-green-white pants striping would work just well on navy pants as white-red-white striping works on the Blackhawks' black pants or the white-red-white striping on the Canadiens' royal blue pants. Pants without striping looks boring and cheap. Thankfully, the rest of the Canucks' Johnny Canuck Reverse Retro looks amazing.

21 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

So something interesting from the Kraken. They will be introducing a thrid jersey for the 2023-24 season and there was a reason why the Metropolitians weren't used as a reverse retro.

https://twitter.com/AliMurji1/status/1586395334137483266?s=20&t=hQiyPk2-6SR62bPf_x-DKQ

I’m guessing they want to save the Metros jerseys for when they inevitably host a Winter Classic. 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2022 at 5:40 PM, DTConcepts said:

cut.png

Ooh, the edge of the hockey stick where the S used to be looks like a design flaw. It doesn't read as the handle of the stick and looks more like the designer stitch something over poorly with a clone stamp tool.

Pittsburgh's doing the original Pirates design, judging by the P as their logo. That'll be interesting to see.

Also, every Bruins fan in Boston just creamed about the idea of having both  of their most beloved bear logos feature on the front of a jersey in the same year lmao

• Like 1

I recognize that font. One of the Bruins 1st Winter Classic jerseys, the yellow one, was very popular.

Early Ray Bourque era throwbacks with their new old font will probably be a great look.

If they bring back the yellow socks, it will be great to finally see those make a return. They should have never changed that because now the current socks are exactly the same as the Penguins.

• Like 2

Yeah, seems like they’re going more overtly for the mashup thing using a 40s wordmark with the 70s/80s bear, neither of which was ever a front-of-sweater element originally. (Plus the 90s merch being pushed by the Reverse Retro.) it feels a little silly to me but I, too, will welcome any returns of Meth Bear.

On 10/29/2022 at 8:54 PM, Chromatic said:

r/canucks - First look at full Reverse Retro uni?

Canucks full reverse retro uniform. I gotta say, it looks great in full gear.

It's one of the nicest of the Reverse Retros and - without any particular bias to any of their logos - is probably my favourite Canucks uniform.

I am a bit annoyed at the left number being on the chest instead of the sleeve even if it is historically accurate, but I can also forgive it since it's taken precedence over the sponsor patch.

• Like 3

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1 hour ago, wildwing64 said:

It's one of the nicest of the Reverse Retros and - without any particular bias to any of their logos - is probably my favourite Canucks uniform.

I am a bit annoyed at the left number being on the chest instead of the sleeve even if it is historically accurate, but I can also forgive it since it's taken precedence over the sponsor patch.

The chest number is the one thing holding it back. I agree it is amongst the very best the Canucks have ever looked. I will overlook Johnny as well, because while I personally have a soft spot for him, I understand that when it comes to the Canucks logos, none of them are truly good and everyone just has their favourite.

• Like 1

Chest numbers never look good on a hockey jersey, historical precedent be damned.

• Like 4

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

After seeing the Canucks RR live its apparent that they screwed up the logo by elongating the legs. It looks ridiculous to me. The cream white against the green is not the best either.

Also curious about the Penguins winter classic jerseys. The Pirates P logo was black. Are they going to do a white version of that jersey?

On 10/30/2022 at 8:44 PM, uniformity said:

Can't fault them for missing that detail on the RR. Wouldn't work as well with blue and green.

http://icethetics.squarespace.com/storage/blog/KurtenSedinFaceoff.jpgI disagree. Of course, almost any stripes would be better than the zero they inexplicably switched to this year.