2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

19 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Truth be told, I don't hate the navy/white lettering on the Panthers' RR. I did some quick mockups of other colorways, though, and I think red/yellow would've looked really sharp.

I kinda like either of the options outlined in yellow. To Ridleylash's point, I think the blue base is just desaturated/light enough that putting red numbers on top doesn't clash. Feel like matching the printing color layout to a yoke and/or stripes is generally a safe bet.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I think the reason they didn't go with red lettering because it would end up bleeding into the base powder color too much, and adding the yellow outline would only exasperate that issue, especially since they're placed between the yoke and hem.

Navy contrasts sharply with powder, red and yellow, making the names and numbers quite easily legible from a design angle; especially in motion where you have a dark color surrounded by light, as opposed to two light colors with a thin dark outline, or three light colors all competing for attention.

I'm not sure why you think red & yellow would bleed into powder blue more than a darker shade of blue. They're literally the 3 primary colours. The red & yellow yokes/stripes pops nicely off the powder blue base, so why wouldn't the numbers?

Also, people's biggest complaint with this uniform has been that the names/numbers are hard to read, so your second point has already been debunked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

Per Uni-Watch, the Bruins' Winter Classic jersey has leaked:

yh5ZDkqU.jpg

Looks like the inspiration for most of the design comes from the ‘50s/early ‘60s white jersey. 

spacer.png

I’m guessing the arched wordmark is a tribute to the local college hockey history. 

I don’t hate it, but clearly they’re running thin on ideas for new outdoor game jerseys. 

As someone with very little knowledge of Bruins history before the spoked B and not having any attachment to the team's aesthetic, I love these.  I should take issue with the fact that there's no yellow on the front (or no vintage-white on the stripes) but I can't - it just works.  There's nothing I would change about these. 

Nice job team.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

I do like the little touch on the green monster on the inside collar though. 

Honestly, a part of me thought that this game, with Fenway sorta playing both sides, might've got us a Fenway-green Bruins jersey. Not saying I wanted it, but the NBA City stuff rotted my brain into this cynicism. Maybe if it was "Stadium Series".

12 hours ago, Wally1912 said:

To me, it looks like the Boston University sweaters from the 1970s were a partial inspiration with BOSTON arched above an animal mascot head. BU recently  brought these vintage Terrier dog jerseys back as a special occasion uniform.

Good spot. Northeastern has adopted this layout the last couple years as well, coinciding with their being good at hockey, so maybe it is a nice tribute to an underrated part of New England sports lore. Might tick off the other Beanpot schools though.

And I know I say this every time the Bruins unveil a new alternate, but -- a jersey of theirs without some kind of spoked B on the front just always looks wrong to me. Now we have two different bears competing for attention in the 2023 Bruins pro shop. The previous, yellow Reverse Retro would have looked nice against the Fenway walls. Ah well.

Honestly, I don't understand why the Bruins are afraid to go back to their routes and embrace their original Brown/Yellow colors. 

Would have made all the sense here since the Penguins now use the same Black & Yellow as the Bruins. 

Plus Brown is one of the most underused colors in sports. 

1 hour ago, DoctorWhom said:

Honestly, I don't understand why the Bruins are afraid to go back to their routes and embrace their original Brown/Yellow colors. 

Would have made all the sense here since the Penguins now use the same Black & Yellow as the Bruins. 

The Bruins' colors are cemented in history at this point, since they've been a black and yellow team for nearly a century. I agree that brown and yellow is an underutilized color scheme in sports, but the Bruins don't have a reason to switch from their current colors to something that they only wore for just more than a decade in the early 1900s.

Both teams' best looks (arguably) are in black and yellow, so I think that it's just best that they coexist and share the colors for now. If they really felt the need to differentiate themselves further, I'd probably leave it to the Penguins to emphasize yellow over black or something along those lines.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DoctorWhom said:

The previous Bruins WC jersey was brown.

Good chance the Pens WC will be blue.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The previous Bruins WC jersey was brown.

Good chance the Pens WC will be blue.

Doubt it; the logo release for Pittsburgh's Winter Classic look is black and yellow, and the Pirates jersey that they're using as a base is black and yellow; so it'll likely be a black and yellow jersey.

That being said, I do think Boston could potentially move to a dark brown if you really wanted them to do it to preserve Pittsburgh's unified colors (the shade they used on their 2019 Winter Classic, for example, would be a good mid-point between brown and black).

But really, I can't say they even look all that similar even if they share colors. Like, I doubt many people will look at this jersey;

spacer.png

...and think it looks identical to this jersey;

spacer.png

At most the socks are similar; but other than that, they're very distinct in terms of design, so you can pretty easily tell which is which. I don't think either really needs to change their colors to be distinct; it's not like MLB and it's epidemic of blue/red.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Doubt it; the logo release for Pittsburgh's Winter Classic look is black and yellow, and the Pirates jersey that they're using as a base is black and yellow; so it'll likely be a black and yellow jersey.

That being said, I do think Boston could potentially move to a dark brown if you really wanted them to do it to preserve Pittsburgh's unified colors (the shade they used on their 2019 Winter Classic, for example, would be a good mid-point between brown and black).

But really, I can't say they even look all that similar even if they share colors. Like, I doubt many people will look at this jersey;

spacer.png

...and think it looks identical to this jersey;

spacer.png

At most the socks are similar; but other than that, they're very distinct in terms of design, so you can pretty easily tell which is which. I don't think either really needs to change their colors to be distinct; it's not like MLB and it's epidemic of blue/red.

Ironically, it's the Penguins who have their socks wrong. Sock stripes are meant to mimic sleeve striping. The Bruins' match perfectly. The Penguins should be wearing these socks:

will-bitten-and-matthew-stome-of-the-ham

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

I hate how much I've come around on the black socks for the Bruins. I don't like admitting it, but they look good. 

I see the Bruins socks in the same boat as the Blues' numbers.  Probably looks better now with black socks and white numbers, but the yellow socks/numbers just make those uniforms more unique and are a part of their identity.  

• Like 10

4 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

I hate how much I've come around on the black socks for the Bruins. I don't like admitting it, but they look good. 

In a vacuum the black socks look good.  If you were designing their uniforms from scratch I'd say gold socks looked ridiculous.  But taking their history into account the gold socks just say "Bruins" to me. 

• Like 3