2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

12 hours ago, Bayne said:

Decent, but any logo that relies on a faux beveling/shadow effect is a compromised design in my opinion.

Good thing it doesn't rely on it, then. You can take the shadows out and not miss a beat:

1TznyZo.jpg

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Good thing it doesn't rely on it, then. You can take the shadows out and not miss a beat:

1TznyZo.jpg

I still consider the remaining grey as a 'shadow'. as well. It's the same as the Dallas beveled  star or Columbus'.  

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Okay, fine, paint-bucket that out, too. Jesus Christ. It's solid work and way way above ECHL standards.

Did you design this? I'm not having a go at you, it's just my opinion. Yes, that's why I said it's decent.  I identified it as good work, with a caveat.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

13 hours ago, riccirulesall said:

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Okay... I'm starting to like these more. 

• Like 4
  • Hurl 1
  • Dislike 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 hours ago, riccirulesall said:

anyone see the matte finish on zack kassian's alternate helmet? thought it was maybe because of a special helmet model but he wears the super prevalent bauer 4500. interesting to see, don't know if i've ever seen such a finish on a hockey helmet. [snipped pics for space]

Maybe it's one of the helmets he used with the Oilers that had to be painted over? There have been two, that I know of at least, instances this year where a player has used old gloves that were painted over/recoloured to match what the team was wearing and Teemu for years used the same JOFA helmets once they went out of business. So maybe Kassian really liked his old helmet and it's just how the repainting turned out?

IbjBaeE.png

5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Maybe it's one of the helmets he used with the Oilers that had to be painted over? There have been two, that I know of at least, instances this year where a player has used old gloves that were painted over/recoloured to match what the team was wearing and Teemu for years used the same JOFA helmets once they went out of business. So maybe Kassian really liked his old helmet and it's just how the repainting turned out?

it looks like these new arizona alts have a slightly different shade of maroon than the howler uniforms. i guess bauer can't match that color or something. no one else wears the bauer 4500 on the coyotes so hard to tell. but that helmet's been around forever 

On 3/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

Well, this makes me feel old. I remember posting on Fanhome for the first time that there was nothing "fangtastic" about anything involving the Nashville Predators' first five seasons shortly after they released this logo. That was twenty years ago? Gross.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

2 hours ago, Brass said:

Well, this makes me feel old. I remember posting on Fanhome for the first time that there was nothing "fangtastic" about anything involving the Nashville Predators' first five seasons shortly after they released this logo. That was twenty years ago? Gross.

Also there's something incredibly bushleague about using the term "Fangtastic" in your anniversary logo. 

41 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Also there's something incredibly bushleague about using the term "Fangtastic" in your anniversary logo. 

It's just a pun, it's not that serious. Teams make name-related puns all the time; "Sens-sational", "Beleaf" and the like.

It's an anniversary logo, you kinda want to have some fun with it. And "fang" is an easy word to both play on "fantastic" and tie into the team identity.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

It's just a pun, it's not that serious. Teams make name-related puns all the time; "Sens-sational", "Beleaf" and the like.

It's an anniversary logo, you kinda want to have some fun with it. And "fang" is an easy word to both play on "fantastic" and tie into the team identity.

I don't see an issue with the phrase "fangtastic" on its own, but I agree that it's kinda weird to see it actually being used on a uniform. As you said, it's a goofy team-related pun, which would be on par with modern hastags/social media campaigns and useful for merchandise, giveaways, etc. Putting something that is intended to be silly and playful on a jersey that is meant to be serious otherwise, just seems like an odd decision and creates a weird contrast between the fierce/serious jersey elements, and the playful ones.

I will say that's it's more understandable for a team like the Predators to do that though, as they were a young team trying to grow hockey in a new environment. I'd take a lot more issue if some established original 6 team decided to pull something like that in the modern NHL.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I know its not "serious", I'm not saying anniversary logos should be treated like a medical diagnosis. I just think its as the youths say "cringe". I put it on pair with a team theming everything they do around the fact that hockey is played on ice. 

• Like 2

On 3/5/2023 at 4:49 AM, Nordiks_19 said:

Also the enormous/double toned collars, been ugly since day 1.

You are correct, the toilet seat collars!

Wait a minute..... toilet seat collars and diaper tails!? 🤔

There is an eerie  pattern her!

Adidas sure are doing  a 💩 job with the NHL uniforms 

😆

• Meh 2

Not sure if this opinion is unpopular or not but:

Teams in all sports go WAYYY overboard with the anniversairy stuff. Celebrating one every five years is just way too often. It completely waters it down when you do have a legitimate one and just adds visual clutter to your identity every five years.

Here are the legitimate anniversairies: 10, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, etc.

Even worse is in the NHL when they insist on putting the anniversary logos at center ice. Your center ice logo should be your primary, core brand. Not some one off. To think the Canes could hoist the cup this year on top of a one-off logo while wearing those horrible black jerseys.... yuck.

• Like 9

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

59 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

Not sure if this opinion is unpopular or not but:

Teams in all sports go WAYYY overboard with the anniversairy stuff. Celebrating one every five years is just way too often. It completely waters it down when you do have a legitimate one and just adds visual clutter to your identity every five years.

Here are the legitimate anniversairies: 10, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, etc.

Even worse is in the NHL when they insist on putting the anniversary logos at center ice. Your center ice logo should be your primary, core brand. Not some one off. To think the Canes could hoist the cup this year on top of a one-off logo while wearing those horrible black jerseys.... yuck.

You just reminded me that they will probably win it this year wearing the "Canes" road sweater with red helmets🤮

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, infernoqueso said:

You just reminded me that they will probably win it this year wearing the "Canes" road sweater with red helmets🤮

I don’t like the white uniforms either but much prefer them to the black ones. I think the diagonal lettering thing always feels like a Rangers ripoff but that double flag logo is so bad on a hockey jersey that it’s even worse. Add to that the fact that the Hurricanes are a red and then black team, so those don’t even feel like Hurricanes uniforms. At least the colors are right on the white ones.

I actually kind of like the red helmets. It balances the colors nicely. I’d say it’s equal to the white helmets in my eyes.

1 hour ago, BuckDancer said:

Why the Hurricanes didn't just make a matching road uniform in 2017 during the Adidas rebrand I'll never understand.  

spacer.png

Or y’know, just wear their 1997-2007 home and away uniforms for the rest of time .

BTW: The Hurricanes have worn 12 different uniforms in the past 10 years, with only 2 of them matching. Their current roads and this year’s reverse retro that they wore for 2 games. So they’ve worn 11 different jersey designs with 5 different logos and never had a matching home and away design.

• Like 4

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

19 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

BTW: The Hurricanes have worn 12 different uniforms in the past 10 years, with only 2 of them matching. Their current roads and this year’s reverse retro that they wore for 2 games. So they’ve worn 11 different jersey designs with 5 different logos and never had a matching home and away design.

The Hurricanes are an example of a team, in my opinion, that will never look good, and it starts top-down. The name "Hurricanes" doesn't lend itself to sports imagery nicely and was likely chosen so that the colors of red and black would match NC State and not for any particular reason related to Raleigh or the Carolinas. Their best jersey is obviously their first set but even then I don't really like the inclusion of silver and the italicized name and number font is hard to make work well. Since then, the team has continued to make changes for the sake of making changes, including the baffling red and white set from 2013 (that didn't match the road jersey). The 2017 home set was better but still an inferior version of the '90s set due to the sublimated warning flags (although I actually prefer the color balance here) and still kept the old road jerseys. The alternate uniform sucks, I don't even hate the logo, but the gray yoke and boring striping make this set a bad alternate (and a worse primary). The new road jersey has awful diagonal text instead of the primary crest and is again missing lots of black and still doesn't match the home uniform. This year when they dropped the old red set for the terrible black jerseys and then brought back better uniforms as their alternate just proves to me the team has no clue what to do with the brand. In fact, the only good design decision they've made since 2017 was trying red helmets with the white sweater.

I just don't think you're ever going to get a good brand out of the red/black Hurricanes. Even their best uniforms have problems and they're just another red and black NHL team. Maybe a quality brand could exist with the name "Carolina Hurricanes" but certainly not one with a red and black color scheme. They should've leaned more into the 90s and gone with a more out-there scheme, matching NC State be damned. Teal in particular I think would've been a great inclusion. Now, however, the team has spent 25 years as the Hurricanes and nothing about the brand is going to change. In my opinion, the best this team can hope for is a good set of uniforms and can never truly be great because of the decisions made when the franchise first moved.

• Like 4

the user formerly known as cdclt