2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

2 hours ago, eRay said:

I could be wrong, but I bet Adam Silver and the rest of the teams would shy away from adding a third bird team to the NBA. Chances are the logo would either resemble the Hawks or Pelicans logo too closely for their tastes.

I'm by no means saying the name is bad or the 3 birds look the same, I just would bet against it if the Clips were indeed changing their name.

The NFL doesn’t have a problem with it, plus 4 cat teams, and no one is confusing a condor with a hawk or a pelican, ever

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I don't know why people are still so hung up on the Clippers changing their name. Ballmer already said last year that it's not happening.

I can tell you the fans don't want it. It would be a lot more special to finally break through and win a ring as the Clippers.

If nothing else, sports (fans specifically) are sentimental, so the weight of winning as the LA Clippers would mean so much more to that franchise than as the Inglewood Condors or whatever.  If Cleveland or Toronto had changed thier name and brand before wining their respective first championships, do you think it would mean as much? Cleveland's 52-year sports curse being broken by the Cleveland Moondogs doesn't sound as special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont care said:

The NFL doesn’t have a problem with it, plus 4 cat teams, and no one is confusing a condor with a hawk or a pelican, ever

The NFL is not the NBA, and both sports, at least fuctionality-wise, operate different. Winning a division in the NFL is 10x more important than in the NBA. The NFL, up until this year, was much more strict on brand regcognition than the NBA was. Just because the NFL has a problem with something doesn't mean the NBA will, and vice versa.

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

If nothing else, sports (fans specifically) are sentimental, so the weight of winning as the LA Clippers would mean so much more to that franchise than as the Inglewood Condors or whatever.  If Cleveland or Toronto had changed thier name and brand before wining their respective first championships, do you think it would mean as much? Cleveland's 52-year sports curse being broken by the Cleveland Moondogs doesn't sound as special.

I don’t blame you at all for wanting to keep the Clippers name (I wouldn’t want to change it either—Clippers is a good name!), but as a Clevelander, I can tell you I’d be over the moon for a Guardians World Series win.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

I don’t blame you at all for wanting to keep the Clippers name (I wouldn’t want to change it either—Clippers is a good name!), but as a Clevelander, I can tell you I’d be over the moon for a Guardians World Series win.

Well..that change was sort of neccessary, while a Clips change would be more for asthetic reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

New name or not, the Clippers identity is forgettable. Something needs to change to make them stand out better.

Winning changes that. The identity was abysmal pre CP3-Blake-Deandre Show. After that run was over (2017/2018?) they have not been considered as the Clippers of old. They were/have been continually tied to free agent rumors, signings, etc. and have a nucleus of talent in place. They are a healthy season from being true contenders in the West. The Clippers identity is not much different than the Kings, decent names but a history of losing, with small pockets of success. I just dont believe those are grounds for a name/identity change. Cubs would agree.

• Like 1

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

23 minutes ago, FamousAtticus said:

Winning changes that. The identity was abysmal pre CP3-Blake-Deandre Show. After that run was over (2017/2018?) they have not been considered as the Clippers of old. They were/have been continually tied to free agent rumors, signings, etc. and have a nucleus of talent in place. They are a healthy season from being true contenders in the West. The Clippers identity is not much different than the Kings, decent names but a history of losing, with small pockets of success. I just dont believe those are grounds for a name/identity change. Cubs would agree.

what about dem colors tho? 

Baby blue and orange returning would be great. They could potentially base thier identity off of these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12
  • Love 4
  • Applause 2

9 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

what about dem colors tho? 

Baby blue and orange returning would be great. They could potentially base thier identity off of these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Winning cures all ills.  

8 hours ago, FamousAtticus said:

The identity was abysmal pre CP3-Blake-Deandre Show. After that run was over (2017/2018?) they have not been considered as the Clippers of old.

Do you really think their previous identity change was any better? It was terrible when they released it then and is now. The logos suck and even with the following tweaks to the uniforms, they still aren't very good.

They were/have been continually tied to free agent rumors, signings, etc. and have a nucleus of talent in place.

Finally having a competent brass, along with being in the second largest destination market helps. Most of that wasn't always the case for them.

The Clippers identity is not much different than the Kings, decent names but a history of losing, with small pockets of success. I just dont believe those are grounds for a name/identity change. Cubs would agree.

I'd argue "a history of losing with small pockets of success" is enough to warrant a change. The Kings of all franchises aren't a great example to compare to, especially since they've changed their identity on numerous occasions throughout their history. In regards to the Cubs, baseball is far more traditional and Chicago has at the very least won two World Series titles in their early days, even appearing in a couple more afterwards. Still, they've made several tweaks to their look in their existence.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

...so...uh...that was a real nice Cavs photoshop the other day...right? 😅

I've seen a few more popping up with different side stripes. I'd like to see them try something like the original Cavs designs, just to be different.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

48 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I've seen a few more popping up with different side stripes. I'd like to see them try something like the original Cavs designs, just to be different.

This is the same guy who did the Spurs leak (although every knew about that by then, so grains of salt neccessary.)

And another bad photoshop:

evan-mobley-cavaliers-2022-23-associatio

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

This is the same guy who did the Spurs leak (although every knew about that by then, so grains of salt neccessary.)

And another bad photoshop:

evan-mobley-cavaliers-2022-23-associatio

I read in a cleveland.com article / interview with the young guy the Cavs hired for the head of branding, that the new uniforms are not going to have any trim on the outside of the shoulders.

He also said the 'C' would not be their main visual identity (I take it that means the new CAVS wordmark will take that spot).  He also mentioned he did not want a bunch of secondary logos mucking up the brand (my words).

My guess is the new unis are going to be rather simplistic.  (Hopefully not to the likes of Utah).

• Like 2

spacer.png

These are for sale online(not going to say where and promote this likely fraudulent business), but it's basically what I expect from the Cavs. 

"Cavs" on front of all jerseys, in metallic looking silicone-coated gold on both Maroon and Black jerseys,  with very minimal trim. On the white jersey "Cavs" in maroon with gold inline, again with very minimal trim. I predict they'll be leaning on metallic gold being the calling card of their minimalist uniforms rather than an over-the-top design. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, eRay said:

spacer.png

These are for sale online(not going to say where and promote this likely fraudulent business), but it's basically what I expect from the Cavs. 

"Cavs" on front of all jerseys, in metallic looking silicone-coated gold on both Maroon and Black jerseys,  with very minimal trim. On the white jersey "Cavs" in maroon with gold inline, again with very minimal trim. I predict they'll be leaning on metallic gold being the calling card of their minimalist uniforms rather than an over-the-top design. 

Uh, I HATE gradients.  But with what you are saying above, that reminds me, it was mentioned that it was going to be a 'new' type of application for the wordmark on the jersey.  So, the above seems to be inline with that.

• Like 1