2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

8 hours ago, pepis21 said:

BTW by your behavior you proved -not for the first time- that you shouldn't be a moderator since you very quickly become aggresive towards others when something not going on your mind and I'm not the only one who noticed that because few people already told you to take your breath and calm down so you better think about it. Peace!

Too bad 😜

8 hours ago, pepis21 said:

There is one tiny good thing about City editions and @WestCoastBias already mentioned it that sometimes you can learn something new about team, city, area or state. I by myself probalby wouldn't knew about Memphis sanitation strike if not the 17/18 Grizzlies City uniform but thanks to that I know now. I wish more Citys have some real valuable story behind them because it would give more sense to the whole project which is now very doubtful.

I donno man. 

I don't think people should be reliant on one-off gimmick basketball uniforms to learn something. Pay attention in school. Read a book.

If this season's taught us anything it's that relying on the NBA for anything other than top flight basketball's a fool's errand. You definitely shouldn't be relying on uniforms to teach you something. 

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

I don't know, a Nets jersey with "CROWN HEIGHTS" across the front might not be a half bad idea. Arena's more that than it is Bed-Stuy!

Sure let's make a jersey commemorating an anti-semitic race riot. That'll do wonders for the league image 🙄

• Yawn 1

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Too bad 😜

I donno man. 

I don't think people should be reliant on one-off gimmick basketball uniforms to learn something. Pay attention in school. Read a book.

If this season's taught us anything it's that relying on the NBA for anything other than top flight basketball's a fool's errand. You definitely shouldn't be relying on uniforms to teach you something. 

Why didn't you read in a book that Portland has a famous ugly airport carpet? Pay attention in school man!

• LOL 5

58 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

All I want is a Clippers city jersey with Lakers' colors on it. If Nike wants to connect with Los Angeles, that's the way to do it.

Shift the hue of this year's Lakers City jersey juuuuust ever so slightly and you'd have the reverse. 🥴

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

Paul Lukas confirmed that the reason teams can't wear cream colored uniforms anymore is because of the digital court ads.

https://paullukas.substack.com/p/exclusive-the-inside-story-of-why?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

I have a good relationship with Godsey (he helped me out on a few ESPN stories back when the Bucks unveiled their current uniform set in 2015), so I emailed him and asked if he could tell me the backstory, even if only off the record, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

“I’m not sure I want to deal with the can of worms it will open, so I’ll tell you privately,” he wrote back. “But you, in particular, are going to hate it: Teams can’t wear cream anymore because it interferes with the digital ads that are placed on the court in broadcast due to the uniforms being so close to the color of the wood that is keyed out in the process.”

Godsey: Interestingly, it happened in the bubble [where the league finished the 2019-20 season after the start of the pandemic]. Up until that point, there had been no issues. So we wore the “Cream City” uniform for a game in the bubble — I think it was Aug. 2, 2020. Because of the unique situation there, with every game being played on a neutral site, teams were able to digitally put their arena naming rights onto the court during their local TV broadcasts. And because of that, in that first game of wearing cream down in the bubble, we started to realize it was kind of like the meteorologist wearing a green shirt while standing in front of the green screen — a pixelation effect.

a133b717-3955-4e66-afb2-9942642d5c6b_181

[Godsey:] At that point our plan had been to start alternating between a blue and a cream every other year for the City Edition. But shortly after that season ended, the league decided they were just going to move away from allowing any cream jerseys moving forward. [Godsey later confirmed to me that this ban will also apply to the 76ers’ “parchment”-colored City uniforms, like the ones they wore in 2017-18, 2019-20, and 2020-21. — Paul]

Uni Watch: Were there any attempts to solve the problem by having Nike adjust the shade of cream or anything like that?

Godsey: There were some discussions, but it’s tricky, because each arena has a different court color, so a shade of fabric that worked in one arena might not work in another arena.

Uni Watch: Couldn’t you just wear the cream uniform at home and adjust your own court color to provide enough contrast? Lots of teams have uniform-specific court designs now, so why not create a floor design that works with this color?

Godsey: Yeah, we’ve thought about that. I’m still holding out hope that there can be some sort of technological solution.

Uni Watch: Most of your uniforms still have cream accents and trim. Does that cause a problem? 

Godsey: No, because the amount of cream is so small and the players are moving so fast. If you were looking at a super-high resolution and really zoomed in, probably there would be some pixelation. But you don’t really pick up any of that under normal conditions.

Edited by officeglenn
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Why didn't you read in a book that Portland has a famous ugly airport carpet? Pay attention in school man!

I think I was sick on the day in high school we went over "famous airport carpets." 

In retrospect the past five pages make sense 😅

• LOL 6

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

I think I was sick on the day in high school we went over "famous airport carpets." 

In retrospect the past five pages make sense 😅

You really can't let it go, huh? (For the record I didn't even learn about it in art school. And yet.)

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

The fact that we are at the point where we are cutting color options in favor of digital ads is shameful. The NBA opened up the door an inch with the introduction of jersey ads, and now they’ve let advertisers run roughshod over the entire league because of it, on the courts, on the jerseys, everywhere. It’s a growing trend elsewhere, but the NBA has welcomed it across the board more so than other leagues. The NBA has embraced the consumer becoming the product, that’s pretty startling. 

Sad thing is all this advertising will become more common across all sports. NHL is falling to it, the MLB is starting to. Only a matter of time before the NFL introduces digital ads on the field if they haven’t already.

• Like 10

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

19 hours ago, NYCdog said:

What exactly is Cleveland MetroPark? I thought MetroPark (the clothing store) died a decade ago? Is this the last MetroPark store still in operation, celebrated like the last Blockbuster Video in Bend, OR?

I don't live in NE Ohio anymore, but my understanding has always been that it's the overarching name for all of the nature preserves/reservations, public parks, beaches, zoo, golf courses, etc in the Cleveland area.

I get the connection since Cleveland has always be called "Forest City" but the light blue and tan don't make me think of any park I've ever been to in the area. Dark green and tan would have made more sense. 

2 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I don't live in NE Ohio anymore, but my understanding has always been that it's the overarching name for all of the nature preserves/reservations, public parks, beaches, zoo, golf courses, etc in the Cleveland area.

I get the connection since Cleveland has always be called "Forest City" but the light blue and tan don't make me think of any park I've ever been to in the area. Dark green and tan would have made more sense. 

I thought maybe they were going to connect the jersey with the Metroparks branding, but I don't know where tan and the light blue circle thing and this font are coming from. The Cleveland Metroparks branding is pretty standard parks department stuff, with a logo that's dark green in Helvetica. Though I will say I've been waiting for someone to go full Department of the Interior collab; the design language of the national parks and forests seems like it would have fun potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

Not to jack the thread...but the NHL has plenty of digital ads on the ice...and I'm not sure anyone's ever reported a problem with white jerseys on areas of white ice where the ad's located.  

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Not to jack the thread...but the NHL has plenty of digital ads on the ice...and I'm not sure anyone's ever reported a problem with white jerseys on areas of white ice where the ad's located.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Hate 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Haha for whatever reason I was just thinking about the offensive zone ads near the blue lines…totally forgot about the board ads this year

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

56 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

So the Cavs City Edition is basically a Parks & Recreation jersey? Haha 😂 

parks and recreation laughing GIF

NYCdog.png