Seattle Sounders FC announce plan to "explore the club's identity"

Brian in Boston

man, it really is damning that MLS walked back three rebrands in the last few years, and honestly none of the "redos" are that great either.

Chicago Fire should never, ever have changed. Montreal's logo is a nice shield forced on top of a roundel for no reason. I appreciated the Crew redo moving away from a roundel, but it's just such an awkward logo

• Like 1

The Rave Green is still there and it's still pretty unpleasant, but it's been around since the team became a part of MLS, so I understand why it's there.

As for the rest, it's okay, if a little bland. I do like the Orca, which is my fave part along with the representation of the Space Needle.

• Like 4

They kind of buried the lead with the orca -- the orca merch is going to sell first, I bet. 

The new logo is fine. I never truly had a problem with the previous look, but this gives it that minimalist, avatar-friendly iteration that everyone wants right now. Space needle on a shied to me is boring, but nothing about the logo is bad, and the change wasn't risky. 

The wordmark with the flowing strikethrough is really nice. Color adjustment is too but I wish the aqua had a bigger role. The orca is the best part.

• Like 2

I like the simplified, wordless crest. It's classy and manages to convey the brand without being literal. A well-executed soccer crest.

But that's about the end of what I like. They've toned down the green from the current rave green, but it still feels like too much. And adding the seafoam in addition to that green just doesn't make sense visually. 

• Like 3

From what I’ve gathered, a large amount of their fans wanted the orca as the primary element instead of the needle. It seems to be that the team wanted to double down on the needle as the primary identifier and felt like they had to throw in an orca at the last minute as a way to try and appease fans.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

From what I’ve gathered, a large amount of their fans wanted the orca as the primary element instead of the needle. It seems to be that the team wanted to double down on the needle as the primary identifier and felt like they had to throw in an orca at the last minute as a way to try and appease fans.

Inspired by the club’s logo from the APSL and A-League Era, the orca makes its triumphant return. When we asked our fans what best represented our club, the orca received the second-most responses, behind only the Space Needle.

• Yawn 1

I didn't think the old logo was great. But this misses the mark for me too.

Looks like a worse version of the Seattle Storm logo.

• Like 1

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Basically, I think the Sounders successfully achieved their goal of simplifying their logo to fit current trends and scalability issues with the previous logo without butchering their brand. What they produced is straightforward, easily identifiable with their city, and includes shape/color nods to previous iterations of their brand.

But really it's the wordmark that is beautifully done. 

• Like 10

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC