2022 NFL Jersey Number Changes

DCarp1231

On 4/7/2022 at 10:29 PM, Bruhammydude said:

I don't think it's rocket science, I just think that teams who use non-proprietary fonts want to look unique 🤷‍♂️

IDK.  Maybe the case when it goes with some kind of theme, but in cases like Cleveland where it's just a slightly-tweaked block that makes no real sense, there has to be some reason for it - even if it's just to distinguish it just enough from their old jerseys that people have to buy new ones (even though they would anyway since the players change.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

51 minutes ago, BBTV said:

IDK.  Maybe the case when it goes with some kind of theme, but in cases like Cleveland where it's just a slightly-tweaked block that makes no real sense, there has to be some reason for it - even if it's just to distinguish it just enough from their old jerseys that people have to buy new ones (even though they would anyway since the players change.)

I think this is the actual reason. The Lakers switched from the Kobe-era side panels to the new jerseys in 2019, but they changed the collar just a bit so that they could sell throwbacks (which look virtually the same). It’s the same reason why Buffalo included navy trim, and by Miami and Philly haven’t switched back to the throwbacks, even though they are superior. Teams want to have their cake and eat it too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Echo said:

1st Round pick Kaiir Elam will wear #24 for the Bills.  Taron Johnson, who wore #24 last year has switched to #7.

Unrelated--sorta--but the day Buffalo gets rid of all that navy trim will be the day those Bills uniforms truly vault to become the top-tier uniforms they're meant to be.

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Commanders “first ever 1st round draft pick” WR Jahan Dotson announced on Instagram he will wear 1 for Washington

Art Monk begs to differ, before being reminded that he played for a team whose name cannot be mentioned on this site. Same franchise, though. 

FRjt03HX0AUSGdw?format=jpg&name=360x360FRjt03IX0AAoL65?format=jpg&name=360x360

Great jersey number choices by the Chiefs two 1st-round picks.

Karlaftis would've looked great in #90, leaving #56 for Leo Chenal, who the Chiefs nabbed at the end of the third.  It would be rare, but I actually hope they make a jersey trade since Karlaftis chose #56 before the Chenal selection.  

On 4/30/2022 at 10:33 AM, DCarp1231 said:

Commanders “first ever 1st round draft pick” WR Jahan Dotson announced on Instagram he will wear 1 for Washington

Hotter Than July > Thriller

22 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m curious to see if Sam Howell asks Joe Theismann for permission to wear 7 for Washington 

Howell is wearing 14.

22 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m curious to see if Sam Howell asks Joe Theismann for permission to wear 7 for Washington 

John Elway could come out of retirement and join Washington, Theismann still won't make that mistake again

6uXNWAo.png

4 hours ago, Cujo said:

John Elway could come out of retirement and join Washington, Theismann still won't make that mistake again

The only retired numbers in the franchise are 21 and 33. There's plenty of numbers "out of rotation", but recent years have proven they can easily go back in rotation. The legend alumni players have no say in whether or not a number go back into the rotation. It may be a good PR move for a new player to ask for the legend's blessing to wear "their number", but in actuality it's up to the team. Dan Snyder has shown a willingness allow certain numbers back into the rotation for whatever reason. Twice now with 17, and most recently with 7.

Wouldn't be surprised if how much Snyder likes or dislikes an alum plays a factor 🤷🏿‍♂️

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

The only retired numbers in the franchise are 21 and 33. There's plenty of numbers "out of rotation", but recent years have proven they can easily go back in rotation. The legend alumni players have no say in whether or not a number go back into the rotation. It may be a good PR move for a new player to ask for the legend's blessing to wear "their number", but in actuality it's up to the team. Dan Snyder has shown a willingness allow certain numbers back into the rotation for whatever reason. Twice now with 17, and most recently with 7.

Wouldn't be surprised if how much Snyder likes or dislikes an alum plays a factor 🤷🏿‍♂️

Oh really? If that's the case, why was any deal made of Haskins wearing #7? Either retire the # or it's fair game.

• Like 4

6uXNWAo.png

18 hours ago, Cujo said:

Oh really? If that's the case, why was any deal made of Haskins wearing #7? Either retire the # or it's fair game.

Mainly fans making a fuss over numbers worn by legend status alums of the team. Added to that Haskins was what we call "a Snyder draft pick", so that was additional fuel tossed into the fire.

• Like 1