Championship Teams in the "WRONG UNIFORM"

On 6/15/2022 at 3:01 PM, kimball said:

Edmonton Oilers, 2006 Stanley Cup Finalist

cut.jpg

These may be the "wrong" uniforms, but they're beloved here in Edmonton, almost as much as the royal blue. Nobody in Edmonton sees these as the wrong uniforms.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 5:51 PM, LMU said:

The 1975 red-hatted Red Sox.

carlton-fisk-1975-2jpg.jpg

Of the Red Sex four post-2000 World Series championships, 2 were in gray road uniforms, one was in the white home set, and then there's this...

la-sp-dodgers-red-sox-world-series-game-

Also weird to see...in game 7 of the ALCS (the Aaron F'n Boone game), home plate umpire Tim McClelland wore a light gray shirt. As an umpire, that's also jarring to see.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Still can’t believe the 108 year curse was broken in these unnecessary duds. 

This is still leagues better than the abomination that is their current road uniforms. The fact that they haven't changed the road unis in almost 25 years still boggles my mind, considering that it is (IMO) the worst road uniform in baseball. Now let's hope the next time they win a WS, it will be with good road uni's like this: 

spacer.png

• Dislike 1

rAUPGPZ.png

On 8/3/2022 at 11:46 AM, Germanshepherd said:

It really is a shame.  It would have been a million times worse had they won it in home in those tops.  That would have been a true disgrace.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:23 PM, GrayJ12 said:

This is still leagues better than the abomination that is their current road uniforms. The fact that they haven't changed the road unis in almost 25 years still boggles my mind, considering that it is (IMO) the worst road uniform in baseball. Now let's hope the next time they win a WS, it will be with good road uni's like this: 

spacer.png

This is a joke right?  While their current road unis aren't flashy, they're miles ahead of the "Cuba" uniforms that featured 1) an unnecessary red-brimmed cap, and 2) a 4-letter script which is entirely too short of a word to look even a little bit professional on a baseball uniform.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, BBTV said:

It really is a shame.  It would have been a million times worse had they won it in home in those tops.  That would have been a true disgrace.

This is a joke right?  While their current road unis aren't flashy, they're miles ahead of the "Cuba" uniforms that featured 1) an unnecessary red-brimmed cap, and 2) a 4-letter script which is entirely too short of a word to look even a little bit professional on a baseball uniform.

A) That would had been the worst timeline to live in. It's like a deal with the devil. "Your team will finally win the WS, but they will win it with the most disliked alternate uniform in baseball".

B)You're right, the red-brimmed cap was awful, but ANY road uni that the Cubs have had before '97 is better than what they have right now. 

• Dislike 1

rAUPGPZ.png

And this is my first time hearing that people strongly dislike the blue alt. It’s not flashy but I think it’s a tasteful alternate for such a classic franchise. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Crabcake said:

And this is my first time hearing that people strongly dislike the blue alt. It’s not flashy but I think it’s a tasteful alternate for such a classic franchise. 

It’s not a terrible look in and of itself. The cub logo is well-designed, but I don’t think it looks as good on the front as the Cubs circle logo would. 

I just think it’s a step down and doesn’t emit the same classic Chicago feeling the traditional home/roads do. Although if you have to have an alt to wear sparingly in the regular season, I can live with it. 

However, that uniform should be nowhere near the culmination of the greatest baseball story of my lifetime.  I don’t know if we’ll see a baseball game with that high of stakes ever again, and the heroes didn’t quite look like themselves for it, which is shameful. 

Also, their opponent was in Navy blue, creating an AWFUL color clash. Not to mention that one logo being plastered all over everything which already looks horrendous in hindsight. A truly classic game in every sense but the uniform department. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

10 hours ago, Crabcake said:

In itself, it's not a bad jersey. It's just so much of a lesser jersey than their home and roads.

I also dont see how that particular jersey enhances the set or tries something new.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 5:51 PM, LMU said:

The 1975 red-hatted Red Sox.

carlton-fisk-1975-2jpg.jpg

For me the objection is not the hat, but the uniforms.  Indeed, the red-crowned hat (with reversed white-on-blue logo) looked pretty nice when worn with the current uniforms.  The problem is those horrible pullovers — which also looked bad with the traditional blue cap.

1974 Boston Red Sox Yearbook Cards #NNO Dwight Evans | Trading Card Database

Pullovers and waistbands were bad for most teams (for all teams except the A's and Pirates); but for the Red Sox this was a marring of a beautiful traditional look.  (And I say that as someone who hates the Red Sox.)  The Red Sox are one of several traditional teams which had no business even thinking of experimenting with pullovers.

Another is the Cardinals, World Champs in 1982, and NL champs in 1985 and 1987.

s-l500.png

Yet another is the Cubs, NL East champs in 1984 and 1989.

1B Leon Durham | Chicago sports teams, Chicago cubs history, Baseball  photography

These latter two teams looked especially goofy in their road uniforms, which for the Cardinals was powder blue (a colour now inexplicably seen as acceptable once again) and for the Cubs was royal blue (with white pants yet).

These three teams have timeless looks that should be considered as untouchable as that of the Yankees.  While it's good that all these teams have returned to those looks, the fact that their periods of error are immortalised by championships is truly unfortunate.

Another big one is the Reds, World Champs in 1975 and 1976.

Pete Rose declines comment on ESPN betting report - Sports Illustrated

What is frustrating is that the budding Big Red Machine had won the pennant in 1970 in a much more dignified buttondown/belted version of this uniform.

Sparky Anderson and Pete Rose, 1970 World Series | Famous baseball players,  Cincinnati reds baseball, Cincinnati baseball

For any of these traditional teams to have adopted the pullovers and beltless pants was unfortunate.  At least the Tigers had the decency to maintain their timeless traditional home uniform, and to restrict the use of pullovers and waistbands to the road uniform.  

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 1 year later...

The 1949 Rams made the championship game in the one-off season where they switched from the blue-yellow color scheme to red-yellow. Other than their inaugural season in 1937, this is the only year they wore red

1959.png

Colorized picture from the title game against the Eagles (it was a mud bowl)

2020-07-06_9-41-09.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 11:46 AM, Germanshepherd said:

I'm more on the side of this feeling wrong only because the Cubs had to clinch on the road instead of at home. If this series goes down the same way with Game 7 at Wrigley, rest assured they are wearing their classic home white.

Even then, I don't feel that this was as bad as say, the 2016 Cavs in black when clinching their title, for instance.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do have one recent pick that I wish went differently: 2022 Astros. Personally, it feels weird to see them win the title with what began as a BP jersey and is now a glorified alternate instead of putting on their home white or the orange alternate.

Houston Astros top Philadelphia Phillies 4-1 in Game 6 to win World Series

• Like 3

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png