2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

10 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

This is insulting to all the minority assistants in the NFL who can’t even get an interview, but this is also potentially the funniest hire in NFL history. 

“The rule does not apply to an interim head coach during the season,” Chief NFL Spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT via email. “It does apply after the conclusion of the team’s season. The club would have to fulfill the rule before hiring a full-time coach.”

NFL: Rooney Rule doesn't apply to interim coaching hires - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Colts literally had Gus Bradley and John Fox on the coaching staff and thought with full confidence “Hey, let’s hire a guy with zero head coaching experience outside of a prep academy in Georgia” 

That's right, Colts, you will rue the day you didn't hire John Fox to sleepily babysit your team for eight or nine weeks. This could set the franchise back for years to come.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wait - Jeff Saturday wasn't even on the coaching staff??? WT MFn F?  They literally just called a guy who's doing TV commentary and made him the head coach?  That's disgraceful.  I don't care about the Rooney Rule piece, it's just disrespectful to everyone in the organization that they'd do this.  

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Prediction - Eagles OC Shane Steichen gets a HC job next year (possibly Colts?) and Frank Reich returns to Phila as OC.  Either that, or Doug Pederson brings him into Jacksonville as some kind of "sr offensive assistant".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Colts are a pretty crooked franchise, stemming down to their addict of an owner. I've never been able to get behind them for anything because of all the stuff they've pulled in the past. From the "AFC Finalist" banners, failing to protect Andrew Luck in his career, and to not even considering other staff on their team who have a better coaching resume than a player-turned-commentator. It's just shameful.

May be my Bills bias, but I think Frank Reich is more likely to get another head coaching gig before being forced to go back to OC. He was really going places in Indy before Carson Wentz and Matt Ryan came along.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

May be my Bills bias, but I think Frank Reich is more likely to get another head coaching gig before being forced to go back to OC. He was really going places in Indy before Carson Wentz and Matt Ryan came along.

In the likely event of new ownership, I’d like to see Washington relegate Ron Rivera to some front office role and get Reich as the HC. Wishful thinking, I know.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Prediction - Eagles OC Shane Steichen gets a HC job next year (possibly Colts?) and Frank Reich returns to Phila as OC.  Either that, or Doug Pederson brings him into Jacksonville as some kind of "sr offensive assistant".

Asking because I genuinely don't know, but is Steichen one of the current crop of "boy wonder offensive nerd/genius" types? Because that seems to be the hot new trend of HC hires of late...

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

The Colts are a pretty crooked franchise, stemming down to their addict of an owner. I've never been able to get behind them for anything because of all the stuff they've pulled in the past. From the "AFC Finalist" banners, failing to protect Andrew Luck in his career, and to not even considering other staff on their team who have a better coaching resume than a player-turned-commentator. It's just shameful.

That it is.

When I first got exiled got planted in moved to Indiana in 2010, the Colts were about as model a franchise as one could find, based on what I remember then-current players and free agents remark about the organization. Don't know what the heck done happened since then--other than Irsay being a drunkard knuck--but they are close to reaching Jacksonville-levels of ineptitude. Sucks for their fans and the town...they don't deserve the 💩show they're currently getting. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

If Steichen leaves, it won't affect Jalen Hurts at all since the head coach is Nick Sirianni, an offensive guy, so Hurts will essentially be in the same offensive system as long as Sirianni is still there.  If I am a team with a young QB and you need a head coach, an offensive coach is preferable, because then if the OC under that offensive head coach becomes a head coach himself, there's still continuity in that offense and helps that young QB grow.  

There's also Sean Payton out there, who is basically taking a year off.  I get the feeling that he would only come back if there's already an established QB.  Like if the Chargers choke again and Brandon Staley doesn't make it to a third season, Peyton might be tempted to stay in LA to coach Justin Herbert.  Or he goes to Arizona to try to unleash Kyler Murray's potential.  I don't think he goes anywhere that has no QB already in place but I could be wrong.  Steichen is basically "Plan B" in case Sean Payton doesn't work out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Asking because I genuinely don't know, but is Steichen one of the current crop of "boy wonder offensive nerd/genius" types? Because that seems to be the hot new trend of HC hires of late...

That it is.

When I first got exiled got planted in moved to Indiana in 2010, the Colts were about as model a franchise as one could find, based on what I remember then-current players and free agents remark about the organization. Don't know what the heck done happened since then--other than Irsay being a drunkard knuck--but they are close to reaching Jacksonville-levels of ineptitude. Sucks for their fans and the town...they don't deserve the 💩show they're currently getting. 

Yes.

6 hours ago, GDAWG said:

If Steichen leaves, it won't affect Jalen Hurts at all since the head coach is Nick Sirianni, an offensive guy, so Hurts will essentially be in the same offensive system as long as Sirianni is still there.  If I am a team with a young QB and you need a head coach, an offensive coach is preferable, because then if the OC under that offensive head coach becomes a head coach himself, there's still continuity in that offense and helps that young QB grow.  

There's also Sean Payton out there, who is basically taking a year off.  I get the feeling that he would only come back if there's already an established QB.  Like if the Chargers choke again and Brandon Staley doesn't make it to a third season, Peyton might be tempted to stay in LA to coach Justin Herbert.  Or he goes to Arizona to try to unleash Kyler Murray's potential.  I don't think he goes anywhere that has no QB already in place but I could be wrong.  Steichen is basically "Plan B" in case Sean Payton doesn't work out.  

the eagles took off last year after Sirianni handed over play calling to Steichen, who still has it now. It would be a blow to lose him. 

8 hours ago, tBBP said:

Asking because I genuinely don't know, but is Steichen one of the current crop of "boy wonder offensive nerd/genius" types? Because that seems to be the hot new trend of HC hires of

I don’t know if he’s even known nationally, but usually the OCs of the best offenses get tapped. He’s been the play caller since they turned their season around last year (taking over for the HC) and has previous OC experience on other teams. Seems like a logical bet. 

The Super Bowl LVII Champion Apparent Eagles will also likely lose their DC, albeit IMO that’s not a big loss. 

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

Wait - Jeff Saturday wasn't even on the coaching staff??? WT MFn F?  They literally just called a guy who's doing TV commentary and made him the head coach?  That's disgraceful.  I don't care about the Rooney Rule piece, it's just disrespectful to everyone in the organization that they'd do this.  

The Lions hired Matt Mullen out of the TV booth as their GM with zero experience.  

Which was funny.  

But then they kept him in for like five years of the absolute most inept tenure possible.  

Which was hilarious. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1