MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

In regards to the Marlins pinstripes, if these are throwback pants/jerseys I'm curious why send them to Jupiter for spring training.  Unless theyre having a throwback to the 20th anniversary of the beginning of Marlins spring training in Jupiter (2003 was the first season after the Expos and Marlins swapped spring sites because of the sale to Jeffrey Loria).

13 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

In regards to the Marlins pinstripes, if these are throwback pants/jerseys I'm curious why send them to Jupiter for spring training.  Unless theyre having a throwback to the 20th anniversary of the beginning of Marlins spring training in Jupiter (2003 was the first season after the Expos and Marlins swapped spring sites because of the sale to Jeffrey Loria).

Perhaps the teal pinstripes would be there for photo shoots? Not the official player photos, necessarily, but for other reasons? Perhaps promotions for anniversary festivities later in the season?

Keep in mind, there's only one pinstripes jersey in that Twitter image. And I don't see any pants with it. I'm trying to keep my expectations low for this very reason.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 7:45 PM, McCall said:

No, it appears it's on either side dependent on whether or not the player is left or right handed, batters and pitchers. I don't know what they'll do with switch hitters.

Adding ads was bad enough but this particular feat is the last straw... How :censored:ing awful...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

The only team I have any hope in not putting ads on the sleeves is the Yankees, and even for them I'm not so sure

The Yankees lost the benefit of the doubt years ago when they gave in to the "special event" cap nonsense, then the uniform advertiser.  They used to be a team I envied because of how much they cared about and protected their brand, but now they're no different than anyone else.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/2/2023 at 10:36 PM, BBTV said:

Can we stop with the phrase "maker's mark"?  Nike didn't actually make the uniforms for the past few years, and in both baseball and NFL, the uniform advertiser (Reebok, Puma, Russell, etc) didn't "make" the uniform.

It's an advertisement.  There's absolutely no other way to look at the swoosh other than as an advertisement.  And it sucks - just like these ads do.

I'll never understand anyone defending ads on uniforms.

We get it, you don't like the swoosh on the uniforms. But you can't honestly look at these giant, distracting ad patches and say that the Nike logo is equally as bad. Just look at this picture and tell me which patch is more of a distraction.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

We get it, you don't like the swoosh on the uniforms. But you can't honestly look at these giant, distracting ad patches and say that the Nike logo is equally as bad. Just look at this picture and tell me which patch is more of a distraction.

spacer.png

It's not whether I like it or not, it's the refusal for some people to understand that it is and advertising patch and not something that has any more right to be on the uniform than the actual team marks.

Obviously the Loves patch is more noticeable, but 1) you picked an extreme example, and 2) we're just so used to the swoosh that it kinda blends in - but that doesn't make it any more or less of an advertisement. 

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm more indifferent to the Nike logo because it's more abstract and natural looking. There's no words on it, it has a nice flow to it, and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. And it's in team colors. I would be somewhat more accepting of ads if leagues required them to be in team colors/fit more naturally on the jersey.

Also having the ad on whatever side faces the camera when the player is batting is simultaneously a genius idea from a marketing standpoint and the stupidest thing I've ever seen in practice

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

24 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

I would be somewhat more accepting of ads if leagues required them to be in team colors/fit more naturally on the jersey.

Here's a couple example of that.   I think one reason why there's not as much hatred for the swoosh and GE (I don't recall hearing the level of hate for GE that I did for other advertising patches) is that those logos are so recognizable on their own that they don't stand out, since our brains instantly recognize them and don't get distracted by them or have to spend any cycles figuring out what it is, like they have to do with the Crypto patch.

Obviously the GE blends in better (and in this case, almost looks like a memorial patch for someone with the initials GE).  It is a little less intrusive, since teams regularly had anniversary patches or memorial patches or something that would be in their colors anyway - but it still shouldn't be there, and is still a second ad.

8f0dcc1a2af5283b86424341d7965aa3

Another example that doesn't quite work as well (mostly because of the wording, without which we'd have no idea what the ad was for.)  

11246215_111721cryptojersey.jpg

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Shumway said:

At least it's not as big as the Padres Motorola patch and gets rid of one of the extra Angels' logos on the sleeve? It still sucks.

ms55hnirdnscldmhzf6y

I only just noticed that the stripes on the sleeve of the Halos CC are subliminated and not stitched on.

5 hours ago, Shumway said:

At least it's not as big as the Padres Motorola patch and gets rid of one of the extra Angels' logos on the sleeve? It still sucks.

ms55hnirdnscldmhzf6y

If ever there was an indictment about how far this franchise has plummeted this is it.  I live 30 miles from the stadium and this is the first that I’ve ever heard of this company. Plus, they got rid of the wrong patch. At least the roundel was slightly more unique.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

On 2/4/2023 at 9:07 AM, BBTV said:

The Yankees lost the benefit of the doubt years ago when they gave in to the "special event" cap nonsense, then the uniform advertiser.  They used to be a team I envied because of how much they cared about and protected their brand, but now they're no different than anyone else.

Im honestly dreading their city connect uniform

Signature intentionally left blank