MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

22 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

That ”throwback” annoys me to no end. It’s still got the original black and purple highlights, yet they paired it with the current pants with the navy piping, and made a brand new navy cap with the old logo to clumsily tie it altogether. It’s like, why in the world did they ever bring that throwback out of retirement if they were just gonna half ass it so hard? 

Finally someone points it out. It's extremely lazy and stupid. Also, Nike changed the front script gradient and it's pretty obvious.

What's weirder is I remember in like 2009 they wore black hats with the Ray on it which was inaccurate. The batting helmet and jersey script was accurate though.

ghows-LK-7a9333e6-c6a8-4de0-a8b2-bf23dc1

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Finally someone points it out. It's extremely lazy and stupid. Also, Nike changed the front script gradient and it's pretty obvious.

What's weirder is I remember in like 2009 they wore black hats with the Ray on it which was inaccurate. The batting helmet and jersey script was accurate though.

What’s different about the gradient. It’s still purple to green to yellow.

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

First off, these updated "throwbacks" pre-date Nike taking over as supplier. Secondly, The only difference in the gradient between the originals and these are the new ones give more balance to each color, and seemingly make them brighter. And since these were unveiled for the 20th anniversary in 2018, it's been no secret, they even stated it in the initial press release, that they were modified to light navy in place of black, so that they'd fit with current color scheme.

tampa bay rays – SportsLogos.Net NewsTampa Bay Rays history: The legacy of the Devil Rays jersey - DRaysBay

• Like 3

I love that the Rays modified the throwback to fit in with their current identity and become a full time alternate. Not everything has to be a direct throwback. There's so many colors in that uniform that it doesn't need to rely on black as the base color. In fact, I think navy compliments the gradient word mark better.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I love that the Rays modified the throwback to fit in with their current identity and become a full time alternate. Not everything has to be a direct throwback. There's so many colors in that uniform that it doesn't need to rely on black as the base color. In fact, I think navy compliments the gradient word mark better.

The Mets wear a black jersey and have no other black elements in their other sets. This is how it should be done instead of merging era's for no reason. Lets just hope this eventually leads to a re-brand from the "sun-ray" cop out identity.

• Like 1

I still, 25 years later, can’t believe that made it to a major league field - both the name and the jersey design. 

since their throwback has already been modified to match their current colors, I’d like to see what it would look like if they dropped the Devil and matched the name as well. 

I think it’d still give considered a throwback design, but make more sense if it’s to be a full-time alt. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Could be that Nike doesn’t have them available at retail yet. My understanding is the throwbacks were only recently promoted to full time alternate, and the Rays had to drop gray from their rotation to include them. Previously they had white, gray, navy, and sky blue. I think uniforms that are in your standard rotation get the full offering from manufacturers (Nike, New Era, Stance) as part of the Authentic Collection label. One off throwbacks or alternates (like the Mets black jerseys before they were made a standard alt) aren’t produced at retail. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Devil Rays jerseys available soon now that they are a regular alternate.

Yeah but they wore them like for 4 games last year to. Maybe will see them soon, if so im picking one up. How are Nike baseball jersey compared to majestic jersey

1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

The Mets wear a black jersey and have no other black elements in their other sets. This is how it should be done instead of merging era's for no reason. Lets just hope this eventually leads to a re-brand from the "sun-ray" cop out identity.

But they maintain the blue and orange on the black jersey. The Rays would be replacing light navy with black, thus eliminating their primary color. THAT would cause a mismatch within their set. Changing the black to the light navy not only allows it to fit in their current identity, but, in my opinion, actually looks better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I still, 25 years later, can’t believe that made it to a major league field - both the name and the jersey design. 

Would you have been fine with "Stingrays"? Both 1998 teams were a bit too much, species-wise.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

since their throwback has already been modified to match their current colors, I’d like to see what it would look like if they dropped the Devil and matched the name as well. 

I think it’d still give considered a throwback design, but make more sense if it’s to be a full-time alt. 

So the old Batting Practice look?

8691_tampa_bay_devil_rays-cap-1998.png

• Like 7

bSLCtu2.png

33 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Would you have been fine with "Stingrays"? Both 1998 teams were a bit too much, species-wise.

Yeah - at least it’s something I had heard of.  But regardless of the name, the stacked design was awful.  Simply replacing “devil” with “sting” is no better.  

You’re correct that both 98 team names were too much, as evident by the Diamondbacks own use of the stacked name and quick flip to the A-chest design. 

27 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

So the old Batting Practice look?

8691_tampa_bay_devil_rays-cap-1998.png

I hadn’t seen that, but yeah - for a fauxback alt, that works more for me than the stacked version and at least is the same name as the current team. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, JTernup said:

Nike sells the throwback jersey in white. I think the piping is black and the on-field is probably navy (honestly can’t tell) but it’s passable. As of a couple days ago the team store (Bay Republic) had them in men’s but they seem to be sold out. Here is the kids jersey and the website if you want to keep an eye out for a restock of the adult jersey. https://thebayrepublic.com/collections/jerseys-rays/products/rays-white-youth-devil-rays-replica-nike-jersey 

FWIW I’d be shocked if we don’t get a full release this season. Now that it’s an official jersey Nike has started producing Authentic Collection Devil Rays gear.

thats a youth not a mens

9 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

That ”throwback” annoys me to no end. It’s still got the original black and purple highlights, yet they paired it with the current pants with the navy piping, and made a brand new navy cap with the old logo to clumsily tie it altogether. It’s like, why in the world did they ever bring that throwback out of retirement if they were just gonna half ass it so hard? 

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

If Tampa Bay were to re-embrace their original Devil Rays look full time, I'd rather they split the difference between their original black cap, socks, etc. and their current navy and go with the more indigo color from their 1998-2000 primary logo:

spacer.png

While I kind of like that the Rockies are currently the only purple MLB team, the gradient is the focal point of the design, and this is a different enough shade that I think you'd avoid most comparisons. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

Maybe I'm biased, but those new Twins home whites are sexy af

Couldn’t agree more. It looked even better with the white-panel helmet when they were hitting. The navy “Twin Cities” uniform they’re wearing today looks nice too.

I might be getting annoying by gawking over these new uniforms so much, but I really do love them & think they are near-perfect. It’s especially refreshing after the previous mishmash of a set, which I criticized frequently.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

Yeah but they wore them like for 4 games last year to. Maybe will see them soon, if so im picking one up. How are Nike baseball jersey compared to majestic jersey

They are the exact same jerseys, just with a swoosh slapped on the front

On 2/24/2023 at 8:07 PM, jp1409 said:

Couple questions here. When did the Rangers switched from light blue to royal blue on their alt jersey trim? Also, do we know if they dropped their awful light blue alts considering Nike new rule?

Edit: They dropped the red jerseys and kept the light blues. Terrible choice...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2023/02/24/out-with-red-in-with-new-a-quick-history-of-rangers-uniforms-and-the-next-era/%3foutputType=amp

spacer.png

D2Q6KRBPZJAZRHR5TMDMGZMNFM.jpg

Blue fits them more.

48 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The Phillies are in cream today

Perhaps they're pulling a Braves and the city connect with be power/maroon?

That could be. They’re only “scheduled” to wear the powder blue throwbacks 8 times this season…unless they switch to wearing them on home Wednesdays instead of home Thursdays