MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

I never had much affection for the Goofy Giants Marlins look they had when they first went to the Miami Marlins moniker, but it's a masterpiece compared to the current uniform, which is like if seasonal depression were a baseball uniform. 

I am a huge fan of their 1997 uniforms with both the full sleeved look and the vested look. I think that was the best balance of those colors. The road uniform was a unique, but attractive look itself, but its arched wordmark was inferior to the later Florida script that matched the home script, unfortunately that coincided with the flip to a black heavy look so they never got it 100% perfect. I want to love the all-teal hats, but the originals were so bright and so pastel that they looked goofy in helmet form. The hats and helmets they wore on Friday look great in HD and maybe that's the whole difference, but these ones look and feel far more saturated and I thought it looked great. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, I like their shade of purple. They should try using it.

Their alts are purple, their roads have purple piping, name, numbers and brims and their homes have purple pinstripes. The only way they could feature more of it without being too much would be wearing the purple brim hat and replacing some silver with purple at home... I attended my first game in Denver last summer and they wore their purple jerseys for a day game, the new shade is absolutely perfect.

The Rockies home whites are effectively the White Sox, though, and there's never been a good reason for that. "The pinstripes are purple" is technically true, but those pinstripes turn black from like five feet away. I didn't even know the pinstripes were purple until a solid ten years after the franchise started. If I was King of the Rockies they'd be a purple and gray team.

• Like 14

PvO6ZWJ.png

For the Rockies: I think adding purple numbers and replacing black in the wordmark would really help to push the purple as a primary color for their home unis. I wouldn't mind them wearing full purple hats, too (at home).

• Like 3

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

I never had much affection for the Goofy Giants Marlins look they had when they first went to the Miami Marlins moniker, but it's a masterpiece compared to the current uniform, which is like if seasonal depression were a baseball uniform. 

I am a huge fan of their 1997 uniforms with both the full sleeved look and the vested look. I think that was the best balance of those colors. The road uniform was a unique, but attractive look itself, but its arched wordmark was inferior to the later Florida script that matched the home script, unfortunately that coincided with the flip to a black heavy look so they never got it 100% perfect. I want to love the all-teal hats, but the originals were so bright and so pastel that they looked goofy in helmet form. The hats and helmets they wore on Friday look great in HD and maybe that's the whole difference, but these ones look and feel far more saturated and I thought it looked great. 

I actually love this jersey. I think it's highly underrated, too. I'd love to see it on the field again, especially if they pair it with the teal hats with the black brims.

635675467982664756-G1SFLAG08-1C-438351.J

I would suggest reducing the thickness of the white outline, though. That's always been the main defect for me, but it still passes the eye test either way.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I actually love this jersey. I think it's highly underrated, too. I'd love to see it on the field again, especially if they pair it with the teal hats with the black brims.

635675467982664756-G1SFLAG08-1C-438351.J

I would suggest reducing the thickness of the white outline, though. That's always been the main defect for me, but it still passes the eye test either way.

I merely like it. The number treatment keeps it from being top tier for me. 

They should've just used the same double outline numbers from the home uniforms  and I'm not really sure why they didn't. 

25733b_med.jpeg43015a_med.jpeg

PvO6ZWJ.png

33 minutes ago, Sport said:

I merely like it. The number treatment keeps it from being top tier for me. 

They should've just used the same double outline numbers from the home uniforms  and I'm not really sure why they didn't. 

I prefer the road jerseys more without the double outline. I believe the rationale was to differentiate the numbers more from the wordmark, which had a prominent white outline.

That's one element that works really well for me, in fact.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It has been the norm since the 1930s, when teams introduced numbers.  (The Yankees actually began using numbers in 1929; though, as noted, despite their 1929 and 1930 managers wearing numbers, McCarthy didn't wear one during his long tenure starting in 1931 and lasting into the mid-1940s.)

If I were in charge, managers and coaches would just be wearing team gear like NFL coaches do. MLB managers and coaches wearing the same uniforms as the players is as pointless as it is silly.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 2

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

If I were in charge, managers and coaches would just be wearing team gear like NFL coaches do. MLB managers and coaches wearing the same uniforms as the players is as pointless as it is silly.

I'd say keep them wearing team pants and hat, but they don't have to wear a jersey. Literally nothing would change since most managers wear a hoodie or windbreaker over their jersey to begin with

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

5 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I'm surprised New Era hasn't advocated for this change before. Think of all the additional hats (and selling points) such a change could generate!

spacer.png

Their NFL branch already has this concept down pat. These aren't just hats, no sir, they're genuine NFL SIDELINE HATSTM! That alone is sure to make these otherwise unremarkable caps worth at least an extra $25, And considering just how massive the MLB cap market is, the MLB Manager SeriesTM line of hats would generate loads of additional revenue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, logo-maker said:

For the Rockies: I think adding purple numbers and replacing black in the wordmark would really help to push the purple as a primary color for their home unis. I wouldn't mind them wearing full purple hats, too (at home).

You're 100% right.  TCU has purple pinstripes and accent with other purple gear and logos and it looks great.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, namefornamesake said:

I'm surprised New Era hasn't advocated for this change before. Think of all the additional hats (and selling points) such a change could generate!

spacer.png

Their NFL branch already has this concept down pat. These aren't just hats, no sir, they're genuine NFL SIDELINE HATSTM! That alone is sure to make these otherwise unremarkable caps worth at least an extra $25, And considering just how massive the MLB cap market is, the MLB Manager SeriesTM line of hats would generate loads of additional revenue. 

Who's gonna buy a "manager hat"? In baseball, the hat is literally part of the on-field uniform, unlike football, where it's merely sideline attire. The same hat needs to be worn across the board.

• Like 1

I think number-sized abbreviations -- PC, HC, BC, 1B, 3B -- could be a relatively elegant solution to the Yankees' number troubles. You can mock up pretty much all those out of varsity block numbers, with only an M or FM for "[Field] Manager" proving tricky (and a standalone "M" looking pretty dopey in my imagination). I think some teams have already done it with BB for Bat Boy. As for "quality assurance" coaches and other guys who hang around a dugout without picking up a bat or glove, I dunno, maybe they go numberless, but the true on-field personnel among coaches could come up with something.

I'm a traditionalist. I like everyone suited up. Picturing a pitching coach walking out in a polo shirt and khakis is more jarring to my mind's eye than the full getup. He'd look like either a trainer or the world's most polite and least hurried fan on the field.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, McCall said:

Who's gonna buy a "manager hat"? In baseball, the hat is literally part of the on-field uniform, unlike football, where it's merely sideline attire. The same hat needs to be worn across the board.

I understand your reasoning, but I think that MLB fans have proven that they actually are willing to buy something along those lines. I imagine that NFL sideline caps have a similar selling point to Spring Training caps, as they are branded as "official" team merchandise, but not necessarily a part of the team's actual uniform.  This isn't a direct comparison since ST caps actually are worn in ST games, but for the rest of the season they are seen solely on team personnel, similarly to sideline caps.

At the end of the day I don't really care if the manager opts to wear the team cap, the ST cap, the clubhouse collection cap, or one of New Era's other infinite creations. They're gonna make a pitching change all the same, and some old guy in the dugout isn't gonna compromise the visual integrity of the team.

23 hours ago, BBTV said:

I don't get it - I swear I read before the season that they were dropping the reds.

Ain't no way they're dropping either of the other two, so I guess they're keeping all 5 and telling Nike to suck it.

The cream jersey has been a staple since '08, and they sell a ton of blue caps.  The powders are obviously popular . The red serves absolutely no purpose - they don't sell any, and it doesn't serve to add another hat to sell lie the cream does.

I don’t remember where I read it…Todd Zolecki’s newsletter, maybe? but the Phillies are keeping the same uni lineup as 2022, and then making the 4+1 change in 2024 once the City Connect is actually worn on-field. 

Personally, I think their road grays are gonna be the odd one out. With every jersey having the same script, why not ditch the only uni that’s completely unremarkable…plus, it was Harper’s idea to wear the red alts on getaway day, and he seems to get what he asks for pretty consistently

• Hurl 1

I'm also a fan of classic Marlins teal (though I remain upset that I have yet to find a black/teal Portland Sea Dogs hat from that era). Beyond the color, though, I don't have a lot of affinity for the design. The serif fonts are corny and dated, the marlin logo itself is kinda funny but falls into the same trap as Baltimore's bird hat of the era, being too realist to work well in its context. Either of their current wordmarks/logos might make for a decent mashup with the teal to get the best of all worlds. It's just a little confusing since -- leaving aside the design critiques of the newer identities -- they've been leaning so hard into a Miami aesthetic (neon and Art Deco and nods to Latin culture) but the original teal era feels so General Florida Burbs aesthetic to me, particularly of that 90s era when the traditionalist snowbirds from the North really flew in.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 1stAndPhoremost said:

I don’t remember where I read it…Todd Zolecki’s newsletter, maybe? but the Phillies are keeping the same uni lineup as 2022, and then making the 4+1 change in 2024 once the City Connect is actually worn on-field. 

Personally, I think their road grays are gonna be the odd one out. With every jersey having the same script, why not ditch the only uni that’s completely unremarkable…plus, it was Harper’s idea to wear the red alts on getaway day, and he seems to get what he asks for pretty consistently

I'll bet you 3 months of "winner chooses loser's avatar" if they drop the gray and keep the red.

• Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."