MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

See, this City Connect set is why I felt it was the wrong move for Seattle to drop their gray road jersey instead of their Sunday home alts. They now have two separate looks in their rotation that are royal blue and athletic gold, despite the team’s primary colors being Northwest green and navy. Dumb.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

20 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Was Shea Stadium in the Bronx? They played there for 2 years.

@Silent Wind of Doom rather than just giving me a facepalm, is Flushing in the Bronx? I don't know, because I don't know enough about New  York to know. If it is, I have less an issue with it, If it isn't, then they clearly haven't been there for 100 years. Yes, it would still be the 100th anniversary of Yankee Stadium, but not their home for 100 years, since they didn't play in it for all of that time.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, bob95 said:

I want creme pants with it.

Creme pants always costs extra.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • WOAH 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

13 hours ago, upperV03 said:

A few Mariners city connect leaks:

I think there’s good potential there. The blue and yellow is classic & I like the beveled number font which sort of matches the styling of the compass rose. I really hope they don’t go with blue pants, but I fear they probably will. I don’t really care for the sleeve logo, but it’s not horrible. If you look closely in the first two pictures you can see a little bit of the front word mark. I think it may well be the same as what’s on the leaked shirt below, but it seems to have pointed serifs and a black drop shadow to match the number styling.

I really, really, really hope that My Oh My detail ends up on a shirt somehow. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

14 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I think there’s good potential there. The blue and yellow is classic & I like the beveled number font which sort of matches the styling of the compass rose. I really hope they don’t go with blue pants, but I fear they probably will. I don’t really care for the sleeve logo, but it’s not horrible. If you look closely in the first two pictures you can see a little bit of the front word mark. I think it may well be the same as what’s on the leaked shirt below, but it seems to have pointed serifs and a black drop shadow to match the number styling.

spacer.png

This ain’t a city connect, it’s a reverse retro.

At least it’s decent and fits with the overall branding but this further blurs the line between us being a teal/blue team or a blue/gold team. 

I really thought they would go with a green/white Washington State Ferries theme. Methinks they noticed how well loved the Kraken RR’s were and wanted a piece of the action. No one in Seattle is nostalgic for the Pilots… and there are better actual “city”connect ideas like using the city flag, or ferries, grunge, Mount Rainier (which they did a little in this set), pike place,  etc. 

• Like 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

13 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

I really thought they would go with a green/white Washington State Ferries theme. Methinks they noticed how well loved the Kraken RR’s were and wanted a piece of the action. No one in Seattle is nostalgic for the Pilots… and there are better actual “city”connect ideas like using the city flag, or ferries, grunge, Mount Rainier (which they did a little in this set), pike place,  etc. 

Given the thought process behind the Rangers set, I guess I'm not surprised the Mariners design pays homage to the history of baseball in Seattle, though I would've loved to see something referencing the Rainiers instead of or in addition to the Pilots. Maybe there will be in one of the small details once the set is officially unveiled. 

42 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

At least it’s decent and fits with the overall branding but this further blurs the line between us being a teal/blue team or a blue/gold team. 

Yep. Seattle has so much visual identity to draw from, and they just went with "we used to have the Pilots." Space Needle, Mt. Rainier, Pike Place, you name it. Personally I was hoping for Pike Place inspired neon red lettering on a slate blue (or navy) jersey with elements of the Seattle Rainiers mixed in. Maybe a cool Space Needle patch on the sleeve. I think the leaked CC is visually appealing, but doesn't feel like a CC jersey. The Reverse Retro comment is spot on.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Ehh, not sure I agree with you on the reverse retro thing. The word mark is inspired by the old Seattle Pilots mark but the rigid edges, pointed serifs, and beveling all pretty clearly nod to the trident and compass rose. The sleeve logo again has the font inspired by the Pilots, but they’re still nodding to the trident and compass rose at the same time:

spacer.png

I appreciate that they’re telling a “baseball in Seattle” story instead of a “10 things to do in Seattle” touristy approach. I would’ve been in favor of using the Seattle flag as inspo and going with a more familiar teal-centric look, but I think this is probably the next best thing. I do fear that they’ll go with blue pants, but I think the jerseys themselves are really pretty solid.

• Like 4

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

@Silent Wind of Doom rather than just giving me a facepalm, is Flushing in the Bronx? I don't know, because I don't know enough about New  York to know. If it is, I have less an issue with it, If it isn't, then they clearly haven't been there for 100 years. Yes, it would still be the 100th anniversary of Yankee Stadium, but not their home for 100 years, since they didn't play in it for all of that time.

I was going to comment on the Phillies alt, but realized in the midst of working on a public speaking engagement that I'd forgotten they not only did wear the red jerseys previous in the season, but they wore them in a series I'd watched.  It had been later enough and two other conversations exploded that I didn't want to respond to both, but also didn't want it to look like I was ignoring your points, especially since someone had earlier made the same reference without a response, which I didn't respond to because the first time I didn't think it had anything to do with the discussion.  You more explained the point rather than just saying "What about those two years?"  But I thought you might have been being disingenuous.  Nevertheless, I didn't make the comment anyway and forgot because of how busy I was.

But if you're having your house fumigated and you stay at your nephew's house it doesn't become your home.  Your home is your home.  They played there, but I don't think anyone involved considered it to be their home.  I'm sure someone can search the origins of the "Bronx Bombers" moniker and if it was used during their two years playing games in Queens.  But I just got done with a large project and I am going to turn my brain off.

spacer.png

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I was going to comment on the Phillies alt, but realized in the midst of working on a public speaking engagement that I'd forgotten they not only did wear the red jerseys previous in the season, but they wore them in a series I'd watched.  It had been later enough and two other conversations exploded that I didn't want to respond to both, but also didn't want it to look like I was ignoring your points, especially since someone had earlier made the same reference without a response, which I didn't respond to because the first time I didn't think it had anything to do with the discussion.  You more explained the point rather than just saying "What about those two years?"  But I thought you might have been being disingenuous.  Nevertheless, I didn't make the comment anyway and forgot because of how busy I was.

But if you're having your house fumigated and you stay at your nephew's house it doesn't become your home.  Your home is your home.  They played there, but I don't think anyone involved considered it to be their home.  I'm sure someone can search the origins of the "Bronx Bombers" moniker and if it was used during their two years playing games in Queens.  But I just got done with a large project and I am going to turn my brain off.

The next time I fumigate my house and tear it down and rebuild it over the course of two years, your example will be valid.

They haven't been home in the Bronx for 100 years. The patch is fine - this is the 100th anniversary of Yankee Stadium. how they presented it was the issue, because they haven't been in that home (Yankee Stadium in the Bronx) for 100 years

It's where I sit.

On 4/20/2023 at 6:00 PM, bowld said:

Yes, bought the land to build stadium. 

Are their cheap ass owners coming along as well?

If so, there will be no change, still just a farm team for the others....... just minus the rats and possums in the ceilings.

But still the same cheap crap on the field, and every time they have a star player..... sayonara!

-

This guy here is 100 times more lovable than the A's owner

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Did my best to recreate the wordmark (sans beveling) and sleeve logo from the leaked Mariners City Connect jersey. I think some of the mountain details in the sleeve logo will be a bit different, but overall I think these are pretty good recreations. I didn’t have time today, but I may work on mocking up the full jersey and some hat options this weekend.
spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Love 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Are their cheap ass owners coming along as well?

If so, there will be no change, still just a farm team for the others....... just minus the rats and possums in the ceilings.

But still the same cheap crap on the field, and every time they have a star player..... sayonara!

-

This guy here is 100 times more lovable than the A's owner

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/20/2023 at 8:04 PM, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

Ooooh! All the things I luv L-U-V about current uniform design! Unnecessarily complicated numbers with drop shadows! A hard to read NOB font! Can't wait for the front! (Not.)

Edited by M59
There's a "d" in "complicated"!

On 4/20/2023 at 9:39 PM, coco1997 said:

Would still vastly prefer outlined numbers to a drop shadow, but this doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out...and for a CC jersey, that's saying something!