Adidas, NHL to split after 23-24 season

BJ Sands

15 hours ago, MDGP said:

The road jerseys are even worse.

Evan Bell - Men's Ice Hockey - Penn State University Athletics

It's really too bad, the team originally wore actual laces which looked considerably better.

I'm not sure we can really judge what Nike would do with the NHL from their college hockey uniforms. They use a completely different template in college basketball compared to the NBA. That could also end up being the case with hockey.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I'm not sure we can really judge what Nike would do with the NHL from their college hockey uniforms. They use a completely different template in college basketball compared to the NBA. That could also end up being the case with hockey.

When they took over the NBA the went to what the college template was at the time. So yes we can

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Can't say I've noticed this so-called freakout, just people pointing out that there were a ton of issues with Adidas, so Adidas walking away the NHL isn't the end of the world.

Whatever your issues with Adidas in the NBA or college football, their work in the NHL has mostly been pretty solid. 

So the loss of that is certainly going to be cause for concern when one of the obvious replacements has ruined the NBA and is in the process of ruining the NFL and MLB. 

• Like 4

On 8/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, dont care said:

When they took over the NBA the went to what the college template was at the time. So yes we can

Same thing with the NFL. I agree there's plenty of evidence that Nike would use their template if they got the NHL contract.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 8/2/2022 at 8:09 PM, dont care said:

Except that they didn't. Nike created a  brand new template for NBA which wasn't and still isn't use by NCAA (although NT's have it).

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

Nike makes college hockey uniforms to secure overall athletic contracts to sell licensed merch for the entire school and can sell national team merch  for the big competitions which are marketed around big events. Do they need to outfit and create licensed product for an entire league that has a much lower ceiling  of potential merch sales compared to the other pro leagues they contract with? Is there enough upside in such a deal to make it worthwhile?

My hope is for CCM.

I hate Nike and will never buy anything with their logo on it. And for someone with quite a few hockey jerseys, it will be tough, but I won't buy again if it goes Nike.

Even Reebok now that they aren't under Adidas anymore would be cool to see come back.

Pretty much anyone but Nike.

17 minutes ago, PhysicalGraffiti said:

My hope is for CCM.

CCM is extremely unlikely considering that they don't have nearly the worldwide marketing power that Nike and Adidas do. That's why it's probably going to be Nike. There are only two hockey brands that have the kind of marketing and branding power that a league like the NHL, the largest and most prominent of its kind in the world, needs.

I could be wrong, of course. Personally, I'd be very interested in how Nike handles the league and how they'd do things differently from their international efforts.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

Nike makes college hockey uniforms to secure overall athletic contracts to sell licensed merch for the entire school and can sell national team merch  for the big competitions which are marketed around big events. Do they need to outfit and create licensed product for an entire league that has a much lower ceiling  of potential merch sales compared to the other pro leagues they contract with? Is there enough upside in such a deal to make it worthwhile?

To establish a monopoly in what are traditionally considered to be the top 4 US leagues? 100%

Even adding in soccer, this means nike has 4/5 and-for the one sport they DONT have- they have the national teams for both the US AND Canada.

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Remember how we all (or maybe it was just me?) thought Adidas was gonna completely ruin NHL uniforms like Reebok did and force 3 stripes on every jersey?

Well it didn't happen. The league looks better than ever

It's probably gonna be Nike but I'm not too worried. Maybe I'm naive but I'd be a lot more worried if it was a smaller brand with minimal HS/NCAA hockey background trying to make a bold statement like Under Armour or New Balance.

In an ideal world it would be Bauer. Looking at the AHL and CHL, I'm not sure I want that contract to go to CCM. It looks like the Edge template with flat Adidas collars, worst of both worlds, basically

6 hours ago, guest23 said:

Tell us more about Nike’s contract with the WNBA. 

Nike will make money with the NHL. NHL fans probably buy more jerseys than any other sport outside football and maybe soccer.

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

28 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Hmm. Basketball?

I highly doubt it, on a per capita basis. NBA games seem to have less fans wearing jerseys than NHL games. 

14 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Remember how we all (or maybe it was just me?) thought Adidas was gonna completely ruin NHL uniforms like Reebok did and force 3 stripes on every jersey?

They didn't put 3 stripes on every jersey, sure, but they still made sure to put their stamp on every single jersey with those ridiculous-looking collars.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

14 hours ago, AnPheitseog said:

To establish a monopoly in what are traditionally considered to be the top 4 US leagues? 100%

Even adding in soccer, this means nike has 4/5 and-for the one sport they DONT have- they have the national teams for both the US AND Canada.

That's why I expect them to go in for MLS when the current adidas deal ends. Personally, I'd rather MLS copy the Australian A League and go back to having multiple kit makers for the teams. Puma, Macron, Umbro, Nike and adidas all competing to make memorable MLS kits needs to be a thing again. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3170797/mlsadidas-agree-six-year-partnership-that-will-run-through-2024-season

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I highly doubt it, on a per capita basis. NBA games seem to have less fans wearing jerseys than NHL games. 

I live in hockey-mad Montreal and I see way more people wearing basketball jerseys casually. And I like that you also added soccer later lol

I guess the only way to tell would be to look at pictures of crowds in the playoffs but that doesn't account for people wearing jerseys in casual settings and you just never see anyone wearing a hockey jersey to go to the supermarket to buy some milk. A tanktop or short sleeved shirts with or without buttons will always be easier to wear than a boxy long sleeve with a 12"x10" stiff logo on the chest

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

They didn't put 3 stripes on every jersey, sure, but they still made sure to put their stamp on every single jersey with those ridiculous-looking collars.

Not that big a deal compared to Reebok's stamp. The collars don't ruin the jerseys and they're actually more comfortable imo. Or maybe I've just gotten used to it

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

We're on the same page as a picture of Nike's ridiculous-looking collars! 

1 hour ago, adsarebad said:

by the way, I wanted to comment on this news on the main page, why is that option no longer available? 

Needs to come back,  not many know about the forum and only come to the sportslogos front page. 

🤔

What would your comment on the main page accomplish? 

• Like 1