Adidas, NHL to split after 23-24 season

BJ Sands

22 minutes ago, mattr1198 said:

The concerning fact is that Adidas is not pursuing an extension, it's not on the NHL. I think the key reason for them not renewing is Fanatics. Their revenue generated from simply jerseys and hats just isn't enough given the fact Fanatics makes almost all the shirts, (more often bought) replica jerseys, and 80%+ of the merchandise produced and sold. Why the NHL gave fanatics any rights is beyond stupid.

Adidas makes more than jerseys and hats for the NHL (t-shirts, sweatshirts). 

Adidas agreed to Fanatics making most of the wearable merchandise. That was the original collaborative deal. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, Krz said:

If it’s Nike, I pray that the swoosh is on the sleeve (like nfl) and not on the front. But I won’t get my hopes up 

On the sleeve, like above most of the sleeve numbers? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

CCM would keep the NHL looking the same for the next decade. If that's what you want, they're your answer. Their CHL/AHL uniforms aren't bad, but also aren't anything spectacular. 

As much as people around here hate Nike at least they would bring some creativity to the table. Remember clients drive the bus. If the NHL is looking at the NBA/MLB and wants some "city" uniform money, that's what Nike will give them. If they want something like Reverse retro Nike can deliver that too. The jersey manufacturer has no power to force a league or team to do anything.

The hockey ops team at Adidas is the best creative department in the business, bar none.

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Adidas makes more than jerseys and hats for the NHL (t-shirts, sweatshirts). 

Adidas agreed to Fanatics making most of the wearable merchandise. That was the original collaborative deal. 

It's almost like they didn't want to deal with all the skus and/or the manufacturing it requires to produce all of that gear. And here they are wondering why they aren't making money. Really odd decision to leave the high selling cheaper items to another company.

• Like 2

CCM or bust.

But, it's gonna be Nike. And MLS won't be far behind I'm afraid.

• Like 2

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

8 hours ago, pepis21 said:

One though came to my mind before sleep. If somehow CCM grab contract then we would basically have a return to Rbk Edge with maybe different collar because CCM still manufacturing those designs (and was a manufacturer back in a day).

CCM has switched  away from the EDGE template to their own CCM quicklite.

I own both the replica and authentic quicklite and, tbh, if CCM gets it and brings quicklite to the NHL i'll be ecstatic.

Also, regardless of who gets the contract SP sports is STILL likely to be the ones making the jerseys. As they did for CCM, reebok, and adidas. just slapping a new logo on it

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that fanatics already makes the retail NFL jerseys and they're not half bad.

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

17 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

CCM would keep the NHL looking the same for the next decade. If that's what you want, they're your answer. Their CHL/AHL uniforms aren't bad, but also aren't anything spectacular. 

As much as people around here hate Nike at least they would bring some creativity to the table.

I'd rather CCM play it safe for a decade than whatever the :censored: passes for "creativity" at Nike these days. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

2 hours ago, AnPheitseog said:

I own both the replica and authentic quicklite and, tbh, if CCM gets it and brings quicklite to the NHL i'll be ecstatic.

Also, regardless of who gets the contract SP sports is STILL likely to be the ones making the jerseys. As they did for CCM, reebok, and adidas. just slapping a new logo on it

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that fanatics already makes the retail NFL jerseys and they're not half bad.

Yeah, most likely. My understanding is that SP Sports has been making University of Minnesota’s jerseys since 1999, whether those jerseys were tagged Nike, Mission, or Easton.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

34 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

What if Nike vastly overpays for the contract in which there's no more ads on the helmets or uniforms. 🤔

Hide contents

Yeah, who am I kidding. The owners love the additional revenue streams. 

Yeah, there's no putting the genie back in that bottle, I'm afraid.

• Like 3

If it's CCM, they need a new template.  Or, at least modify what they have now.  The weird camo collar definitely needs to go and straighten out that hem.  I still don't know why the curved hem was every something Reebok decided needed to be a thing.

Here's the thing. 

I didn't always like what Adidas gave us (the new collars still suck) but on the whole they respected team traditions while still branching out to try new stuff. It's not an easy tightrope to walk, and Adidas' NHL work managed it better than most. 

But I'm not sure who can look at the Parade of Aesthetic Disaster going on in the NFL, or the travesty that's become the NBA and think "oh yeah sure Nike would be great for the NHL."

Give it to CCM or Bauer. A company that knows hockey and cares about hockey. Hockey is my favourite sport and the NHL, despite its best efforts, remains my favourite league. Seeing what happened to the NBA, NFL, or even MLB (City Connect) happen to the NHL would hurt. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I would love if CCM was the manufacturer for the jerseys again. Their quick light stuff for the AHL is pretty nice, and I’ve seen some gamers for St. Thomas in Minnesota up close, and they’re also good quality. I do think the collar needs to change a little. 

(I guess I also don’t understand what the aversion to something of a traditional collar is… It seems that almost all major manufacturers these days can’t get that part right. Like even if Adidas did the lay flat collar that had a few extra segments on it to make it look like a traditional collar would have been nice. Reebok nailed the collars towards the end there, and so I’m just confused why that had to change so much/end rant) 

Nike’s template for the Olympics was pretty nice as well, despite some not great designs. As someone said earlier, with places like the U of M, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State in college hockey, Nike can make traditional looks work. My hope would be that if Nike took over, we wouldn’t have to worry about teams like the Habs or any one else with more traditional looks have to sacrifice something for the sake of Nike being Nike… I guess I would assume it would be more reserved, because teams do like to stick to tradition if it’s there, and only a few teams would get a completely new look.

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

11 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

My hope would be that if Nike took over, we wouldn’t have to worry about teams like the Habs or any one else with more traditional looks have to sacrifice something for the sake of Nike being Nike…

fygczwA.jpg

Ql4z1eb.png

• Like 2

I'll the odd one out and say that I feel completely indifferent to Nike possibly taking over the jersey contract. Sure CCM would be a better choice but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I own a few Nike jerseys from the late '90s and they're among my favorites. I like the knitting fabric on them. Granted things have changed in 25 years.

I'm just hoping that whoever takes over the contract designs normal looking collars.

• Yawn 1

8 hours ago, AnPheitseog said:

Might be now a  quicklite but deisgn wise some of them are still same. I mean stitches goes in a same way as they went on edge, hem is curved in a same way, only collar is different (I'd say worse than edge).

Anyway I still would love to see CCM as a sweaters provider.

On 7/29/2022 at 12:46 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

You know what? I'd rather Fruit Of The Loom get the contract again over Fanatics. 

It would be big return of Pro Player.

4r2eer.png

2 hours ago, gsn93 said:

Granted things have changed in 25 years.

Yeah.

If you think the Nike you're getting in 2022 is the Nike of 1997 then I have ocean-front property in Saskatchewan to sell you.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4