22-23 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

I don’t care about the ASG and only watched half of it, but it was fun to watch my Celtics guys play a couple possessions against each other playground-style. Wholesome! An advantage of the draft format. 

Otherwise could do without a practice with extra pageantry and glorification of admitted rapists.

Revamp All Star Game into 3x3 divisional tournament (two groups West-East, winners play final game, 4 players per team, two from frontcourt and two guards) on FIBA rules (minus ball). It would be hard for players to sabotage the game in that configuration.

What about Westbrook I don't know how it's possible that another team falling on him, yet his current value is still bigger than Ben Simmons which is kinda magical.

4r2eer.png

55 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

What about Westbrook I don't know how it's possible that another team falling on him, yet his current value is still bigger than Ben Simmons which is kinda magical.

His value now is he's an expiring vet deal.

Simmons is owed almost $80 million over the next two years. Yikes.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 hours ago, Cujo said:

A total joke. 

Like the Pro Bowl, it's time to end the game.

How’s this different than a regular game. One guy going iso and the rest just standing around. Sure in the real game the defense looks like they are doing more but really that’s all it is.

Also, isn't that Tatum going 1 on 1 vs Brown? Everyone else laid out because they were having a moment.

• Like 3

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As long as players are sitting as frequently as they are for "load management" reasons, and teams have "scheduled losses", there shouldn't be any exhibition games.  Fans are going to pay when they buy a ticket and those guys decide to sit a game that maybe they wouldn't have because they played in the ASG.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Remind me again why the all-star game is even necessary at all? If this game did not already exist, and someone pitched the idea, it would be dismissed out of hand. Redditors and other terminally online poindexters screamed like pigs for the NL to adopt the DH because hurr durr muh dumb traditionerinos are le bad, yet this useless event continues to exist for no reason other than it's just something that the major leagues have been doing for a long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, who do you think said:

Remind me again why the all-star game is even necessary at all? If this game did not already exist, and someone pitched the idea, it would be dismissed out of hand. Redditors and other terminally online poindexters screamed like pigs for the NL to adopt the DH because hurr durr muh dumb traditionerinos are le bad, yet this useless event continues to exist for no reason other than it's just something that the major leagues have been doing for a long time.

It was a good idea before cable TV and, even then, internet highlights. In fact, I'd imagine there's a lot more NBA consumed via Twitter and IG than people actually watching the games.

Either way, the ASG was a way to see dudes from the Atlanta Hawks or San Antonio Spurs that you'd never see on NBC or your local station, if you even had one.

But now? With the complete lack of stakes in the NBA, NHL and NFL all star games? Doesn't make sense. Make it a fan fest and I guess a skills competition, but otherwise, doesn't seem at all necessary.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, who do you think said:

le bad

I'm imagining a mob of French guys yelling this outside of MLB headquarters.

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It was a good idea before cable TV and, even then, internet highlights.

Exactly.  Before I had cable, these were guys that only existed on baseball cards, or in newspaper writeups, on TWIB(!!!), or on the few national broadcasts or playoffs.  I loved the MLB ASG because it was literally the only time I got to see any of the AL players live, and the only time I could see all the uniforms.  Even NBA and NHL, while the uniforms weren't the same, it was still the only way to see these guys all together live (before Dream Team and the NBA's marketing machine completely took over.)

Even once we got cable (1992), there still wasn't internet or highlight shows outside of SportsCenter, which wasn't replayed nearly as many times as it is now.  The tradeoff was that after the morning edition, we got fitness shows with Kiana Tom and Leeann Tweeden, and let's just say that a young BBTV discovered certain feelings for the first time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."